latest lab work, not what I was expecting

JohnS

I got my first lab work today since changing over to a more Peat diet from Paleo. I've been trying to do as much Peat eating as possible, learning all I can from him and this message board over the last 6 months. Any feedback is welcome.
49 years/male

The one thing shocked me is that my TSH is the highest it's ever been. For 3 years or more my TSH has averaged in the low 2's. The latest is 4.330! I was really expecting it to be below 2.

My dr. was not concerned because it was 'with in the range'.

The only thing I've added recently is that on June 1st I started taking Nutri-Meds Thyroid, so about a week or so before my blood draw. Would that have anything to do with it and shouldn't it go down instead of up? Anyway here are my labs. Everything else looks to be in the ranges.

Glucose,Serum 92mg/dL
Sodium 141 mmol/L
Carbon Dioxide 27 mmol/L
Potassium, Serum 4.5 mmol/L
Chloride, Serum 102 mmol/L
Calcium, Serum 9.0 mg/dL
Protein, total, serum 6.3 g/dL
Albumin, Serum 4.0 g/dL
Globulin, Total 2.3 g/dL

Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO) Ab 8 IU/mL

Cholesterol 220
Triglycerides 67 mg/dL
HDL 58 mg/dL
VLDL Cholesterol Cal 13 mg/dL
LDL Cholesterol 149 mg/dL
LDL/HDL Ratio 2.6

T3(Free) 2.1 pg/mL
T4(Free) 1.10 ng/dL
TSH 4.330 uIU/mL

Vitamin D 25-OH 51.9 ng/mL

jaguar43

JohnS said:
I got my first lab work today since changing over to a more Peat diet from Paleo. I've been trying to do as much Peat eating as possible, learning all I can from him and this message board over the last 6 months. Any feedback is welcome.
49 years/male

The one thing shocked me is that my TSH is the highest it's ever been. For 3 years or more my TSH has averaged in the low 2's. The latest is 4.330! I was really expecting it to be below 2.

My dr. was not concerned because it was 'with in the range'.

The only thing I've added recently is that on June 1st I started taking Nutri-Meds Thyroid, so about a week or so before my blood draw. Would that have anything to do with it and shouldn't it go down instead of up? Anyway here are my labs. Everything else looks to be in the ranges.

Glucose,Serum 92mg/dL
Sodium 141 mmol/L
Carbon Dioxide 27 mmol/L
Potassium, Serum 4.5 mmol/L
Chloride, Serum 102 mmol/L
Calcium, Serum 9.0 mg/dL
Protein, total, serum 6.3 g/dL
Albumin, Serum 4.0 g/dL
Globulin, Total 2.3 g/dL

Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO) Ab 8 IU/mL

Cholesterol 220
Triglycerides 67 mg/dL
HDL 58 mg/dL
VLDL Cholesterol Cal 13 mg/dL
LDL Cholesterol 149 mg/dL
LDL/HDL Ratio 2.6

T3(Free) 2.1 pg/mL
T4(Free) 1.10 ng/dL
TSH 4.330 uIU/mL

Vitamin D 25-OH 51.9 ng/mL

I have used that brand. Its basically worthless, you should try cynomel and cynoplus

When I started playing with thyroid, Dr. Peat responded to one of my questions about what usp meant.
"More than 30 years ago, someone demonstrated that only two out of ten "pharmaceutical" brands of thyroid USP contained any thyroid at all, so I sent some documentation to the FDA, and they said they didn't respond to "individual complaints," so I asked the USP what tests were used to define their standard, and they said only the percentage of iodine was considered. (In their written definition of the USP product, that test is to be applied only for defining the potency of a thyroid glandular material, but it takes a little work to determine that a material contains real thyroid substance.) Therefore, iodinated caseine, which is produced in large amounts for agricultural uses, passes their test----but iodinated cornstarch would also pass that test. In the 1990s, the Armour brand name had been sold and resold a few times, and the new owner decided to have the peptide hormone thyrocalcitonin removed from the defatted pig glands (when Armour owned the product, both beef and pork thyroid tablets were available), to sell as a separate extremely profitable drug to treat osteoporosis. That altered glandular material, no longer meeting the legal definition of USP thyroid, was sold for about ten years, with no objection from FDA or USP, and during that time several other changes in the composition of the tablets were made, without biological testing to determine that the product still worked. In the last several years, the FDA has ordered them to change the product, making it more water-dispersible, so they added a polymer, called Explo-tab," to make it swell when added to water. However, that material doesn't swell when the pH is as low as the stomach's. At one point, about ten years ago, people were reporting finding undamaged tablets passing through their intestine. During that time, I found that the very cheap Cynoplus had the same effects as the old glandular Armour tablets. In the 1980s, I think the Armour company was still standardizing their batches by testing on mice, but they were the last ones to claim to do any biological testing. Now, when they "test for strength," they apparently mean nothing more than the old irrelevant iodine test."

http://forums.realthyroidhelp.com/viewt ... =2&t=18794

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Agreed. My opinion from personal experience, Nutri-meds is no good. :2cents

OP
J

JohnS

I tried to order the cynomel and cynoplus a couple times but couldn't get my that bank to accept my credit card. So I thought I'd see if the Nutri-Meds would do anything.

I'm also really confused is to why my TSH doubled in 6 months! TSH was 2.180 now it's 4.330. Not sure if it has anything to do with the Nurtimeds or not. I also noticed a few days after taking NutriMeds that my morning temps dropped when i expected to see a rise.

I think I'll stop taking these and see what happens and maybe try to order again from Mexico.

Gabriel

Why do you get a lab test done while taking external thyroid hormone? I think it is wiser to first find out how your thyroid works without any drugs.

4peatssake

JohnS said:
I tried to order the cynomel and cynoplus a couple times but couldn't get my that bank to accept my credit card. So I thought I'd see if the Nutri-Meds would do anything.

I'm also really confused is to why my TSH doubled in 6 months! TSH was 2.180 now it's 4.330. Not sure if it has anything to do with the Nurtimeds or not. I also noticed a few days after taking NutriMeds that my morning temps dropped when i expected to see a rise.

I think I'll stop taking these and see what happens and maybe try to order again from Mexico.
Which Mexican pharmacy did you use?
I ordered from here without any problems http://mexipharma.com/eng/index
About 3 weeks delivery to the US with tracking both through Mexico and the US. A good experience.

Their email support was top notch as well and so you could perhaps contact them directly to see if they can assist with an order.

This pharmacy is also cheaper than "My Mexican Pharmacy" for cynoplus and cynomel.
Good luck!

[glow=red]FYI, I edited this post on 5.17.14 to update the link as the previous link no longer works.[/glow]