Late Nights & Sleep Cycles

fever257

Hey everyone,

So i wanted to create kind of a go-to thread on sleep. I think it would be best if these kinds of threads were available in every sub section, pinned at the top.

This is so that rather than digging through a bunch of old threads that may or may not answer the question you’re looking for, you can just have people’s’ own experience listed right away so you can get to researching.

i’ve seen other threads like this and they were very helpful.

So with that being said,
What strategies are most effective at helping you fall asleep?

What strategies are most effective at helping you stay asleep?

How do you support a healthy sleep schedule?

What does your night time routine look like?

**Ray has mentioned that darkness is one of our major stressors in multiple threads. Light deficiency can cause a cascade of physiological complications. He frequently mentions the symptoms he experience while living in the rainy & cold Eugene, Oregon. Thus, it’s reasonable to assume that a screwed up sleep schedule can be very stressful to the body. He also mentions how prolactin, adrenaline, and other stress hormones are very elevated at night.

I’m really looking forward to seeing everyone’s feedback because it’s currently 4:21 am my time and I could definitely use some help!

Hans

Forum Supporter
I also use to struggle falling asleep and a funny anecdote about me is that if my wife isn't in bed with me I struggle to fall asleep, but when she's with me I fall asleep much easier. Lol
But apart from that, having eaten about 1-2 hours before bed is a big deal. A big glass of milk with sugar and gelatin also works great. My wife prefers to drink her cup of milk warm whereas I prefer to drink mine cold as it actually helps me to cool down so I can fall asleep faster.

I used to wake up 3-4 times per night, if not more, to urinate and my sleep quality was awful, but after starting 100mg B2 in the morning I maybe wake up once now. I have tried ashwagandha, melatonin, lithium, magnesium and GABA and nothing worked as well or as long as the B2 for me.

As a sleep routine, I make sure I go to bed at the same time, preferably before 10 and then get up at the same time each morning, usually 7.
If I'm active the day my sleep is deeper. Something like walking in an enriched environment helps a lot for me with sleep quality. Getting sunlight on the eyeballs in the morning or during the day really helps as well.
I also use blue light filters but not sure if that helps at all.
Incline bed therapy also helped a lot with falling asleep faster and getting deeper sleep although I'm not so sure it's results were longterm as the benefits started fading until I consistently started using B2 every morning.

OP
fever257

fever257

@ Hans, thanks for the advice!

I still struggle with sleep but I've found the anti-histamine cyproheptadine to be helpful, as well as melatonin and meditation before bed.

golder

@ Hans, thanks for the advice!

I still struggle with sleep but I've found the anti-histamine cyproheptadine to be helpful, as well as melatonin and meditation before bed.
Interesting. Thanks. I want to try this. It could you share what doses and timings of the above have helped you? They’re all quite strong so I don’t want to have the added problem of getting up in the morning if I take too much/too late etc.

opethfeldt

Cypro helped me with sleep at first but it didn't last more than maybe a week. The only thing that has been able to truly improve my sleep is binaural beats. I use them to relax and lower cortisol at night and sleep much better and have much lower sleep latency as well. I still wake up once or twice at night but I fall right back to sleep. This is the closest I've come to perfect sleep since my younger days.

golder

Cypro helped me with sleep at first but it didn't last more than maybe a week. The only thing that has been able to truly improve my sleep is binaural beats. I use them to relax and lower cortisol at night and sleep much better and have much lower sleep latency as well. I still wake up once or twice at night but I fall right back to sleep. This is the closest I've come to perfect sleep since my younger days.
Really interesting, I remembre a friend recommending this to me when I was younger but never heeded the recommendation. Could you point me in the right direction to the binaural beats that have worked for you? Cheers mate!

opethfeldt

Really interesting, I remembre a friend recommending this to me when I was younger but never heeded the recommendation. Could you point me in the right direction to the binaural beats that have worked for you? Cheers mate!
I use binaural beats from a YouTuber called "Binaural Nutrition". Unfortunately, the one I use for sleep is currently exclusive to his Patreon so I can't share it. It's called "Muscle Relaxation". It's excellent. It actually feels like I took a drug. I'm almost always holding tension in my legs and calves and it dissolves the tension completely. I climb into bed and get that warm, comfortable sensation I used to get so effortlessly as a kid.

Beastmode

The last week I've been doing TRE exercises @ some point in the day and have noticed a nice increase in quality of sleep. It wasn't my intention to improve sleep with the exercises, but with any neurological relaxation techniques, the effects can pretty vast.....apparently :)

Not promoting the exercises as they can bring up a lot of old trauma for some and it's best to do your own research before doing them.