Laser/IPL Hair Removal

walker_in_aus

Can anyone help me understand whether Laser or IPL hair reduction is safe? I know this thread is mostly about how to stop hair falling out but I've had both IPL and Laser and wondering what kinda of damage it could have done or if it's relatively safe.

I'm only just beginning to understand light as a drug and was halfway through hair reduction sessions when I realized IPL is intense pulsed light... it works for a few monthns and then hair returns but seems less damaging than waxing so does anyone know much about it and what it's actually doing aside from super heating my hair bulbs?

noordinary

I was wondering as well 3 month ago? now I'm two treatments in and I'm impressed.
As i remember IPL is an older technology. I do laser and i particularly was looking for a facility that uses Lumenis LightSheer Duet laser, because it's one of the most advanced currently (don't quote me on this, i researched and that was what i concluded, you may have some better laser in Australia, everything needs to be approved by FDA in US and it takes ages).
I was scared that i will get irritation or swelling, because it's heating up hair follicles and skin, so serotonin and/or histamine will be produced.
But sounded sooooo convenient, I decided to give it a try.
I had two treatments already 5 weeks apart, i had zero irritation or swelling, literally zero, none at all. And the nurse upped the intensity the second time because i had zero swelling the first time, and same, no redness, nothing. Didn't feel that the procedure impacted my metabolism in any way.
And I'm not the best candidate for the laser hair removal as my hairs are light brown.
As for results (not to give out too many intimate details lol): I'm doing brazilian, armpits and lower legs (all at the same time! I also was worried that combined together that may be too much skin temporary injured by the laser, and i decided i would opt out if that was the case, but as i said i had zero reaction on the skin).
So, where the skin is fair (armpits, bikini) after the first treatment 1/3 hairs fall out and whatever was left - the growth was strongly retarded. I just had my 2nd treatment and waiting for results (it takes 1-2 weeks for the hairs to start falling out). As for the lower legs: the skin is tanned and the hairs there are blond, so after 1 treatment i noticed very little change honestly.
I bought a package for 6 treatment for each area.
Much less painful than sugaring (I don't do waxing), and you don't need to grow 5mm as you need for sugaring (or waxing), you can only shave though in between procedures. And with the promise with total hair removal (and i think it is the case even for my lighter hairs) after 6 procedures with one procedure a year for maintenance, the convenience for sure is worth it for me.

OP
walker_in_aus

walker_in_aus

I tried laser and it felt like razor blades burning my skin. Did one session then never again, but I believe it was a dodgy clinic so was hoping to try again.

IPL I have had done but it just doesn't last! It's really inconvenient going back 12 times a year too, I had ten sessions and sure the hair falls out and disappears for four weeks but it grows back after a few months off...

noordinary

I tried laser and it felt like razor blades burning my skin. Did one session then never again, but I believe it was a dodgy clinic so was hoping to try again...
Ouch, i’m sorry that was your experience!
I definitely did not feel burning, i felt a little when the nurse was doing my lower legs, probably besause the skin is tanned and absorbs more light. Idk, maybe depends on technician or the laser they used, i can honestly say that sugaring feels so much more painful to me.
As for the IPL, a friend of main did it too, and she also said that the hair grew back.
I’ll post an update in half a year about my results.

cyclops

Does anyone know if Laser Hair Removal is safe from a Peat Perspective though? Or if there is a certain type that is better than others?

It doesn't use any weird radiation or anything right? Is it just heat, like burning the hair off? It's supposed to be permanent I thought that was the whole point.

pepsi

Does anyone know yet? Is laser hair removal safe or harmful?