Jon2547

Peat has written many articles on the topic of quinones and their effects on metabolism / respiration. The earliest official work probably started around the time of William Koch in the early 20th century and continues to this day. Many people are familiar with the popular quinone CoQ10 but there are other ones Ray has written about over the years, including anthraquinones like emodin and napththoquinones like vitamin K. Vitamin K has recently been found to be able to server as an alternative electron carrier for the electron transport chain even in the complete absence of CoQ10, so its importance in metabolism is indisputable.
Another napththoquinone that William Koch worked with in his later life while exiled in Brasil was lapachone - found in the bark of the Lapacho tree (aka Pau D'Arco, Tabebuia avellanedae). Lapachone was intensively studies in the 1960s and 1970s as a treatment for cancer but interest waned as the genetic theory of cancer conquered academia and the medical profession.
Being quinones, both emodin and beta-lapachone are intimately involved in the proper functioning of the electron transport chain, the recycling of NADH back to NAD and protecting from the systemic effects of stress and aging. In addition to these metabolic / systemic effects, both quinones have been shown to have a staggering array of effects including protecting from radiation, hypoxia, inflammation, endotoxin, diabetes, cortisol, aldosterone, estrogen, prolactin, serotonin, histamine, nitric oxide (NO), carbon monoxide (CO) viruses, bacteria, fungi, and even the aging process in general. Given their profoundly systemic effects, it is very likely that these two quinones can contribute to improved well-being and resistance to stress, aging, and frailty. The full list of references on both substances is so large that I had to post them as separate threads, which can be found at the bottom of this thread in the References section. As a shorter alternative, below are a few quotes from Peat in regards to these amazing substances.

Cascara, energy, cancer and the FDA's laxative abuse.
"...Emodin inhibits the formation of nitric oxide, increases mitochondrial respiration, inhibits angiogenesis and invasiveness, inhibits fatty acid synthase (Zhang, et al., 2002), inhibits HER-2 neu and tyrosine phosphorylases (Zhang, et al., 1995, 1999), and promotes cellular differentiation in cancer cells (Zhang, et al., 1995). The anthraquinones, like other antiinflammatory substances, reduce leakage from blood vessels, but they also reduce the absorption of water from the intestine. Reduced water absorption can be seen in a slight shrinkage of cells in certain circumsstances, and is probably related to their promotion of cellular differentiation."

"...Zelnorm was said to “act like serotonin.” Serotonin slows metabolism, reduces oxygen consumption, and increases free radicals such as superoxide and nitric oxide;the production of reactive oxygen species is probably an essential part of its normal function. Emodin has an opposing effect, increasing the metabolic rate. It increases mitochondrial oxygen consumption and ATP synthesis, while decreasing oxidative damage (Du and Ko, 2005, 2006; Huang, et al., 1995)."

"...Emodin isn’t a magic bullet (in fact it isn’t a bullet/toxin of any sort), but when combined with all the other adaptogens, it does have a place in cancer therapy, as well as in treating many other ailments. None of the basic metaphors of mainstream medicine--receptors, lock-and-key, membrane pores and pumps--can account for the laxative, anticancer, cell-protective effects of emodin. The new interest in it provides an opportunity to continue to investigate the effects of adjusting the electrical state of the cell substance, building on the foundations created by William F. Koch, Albert Szent-Gyorgyi, and Gilbert Ling."

Cancer: Disorder and Energy

"...Emodin and the anthraquinones (and naphthoquinones, such as lapachone) weren’t the reagents that Koch considered the most powerful, but emodin can produce to some degree all of the effects that he believed could be achieved by correcting the cellular respiratory apparatus:Antiinflammatory, antifibrotic (Wang, et al., 2007) antiviral, antidepressant, heart protective, antioxidant, memory enhancing, anticancer, anxiolytic and possibly antipsychotic."

"...Emodin, an anti-inflammatory substance found in cascara sagrada bark and other plants, is similar to other molecules that have been used for treating cancer, and one of its effects is to lower HIF: "Consistently, emodin attenuated the expression of cyclooxygenase 2 (COX-2), VEGF, hypoxia inducible factor 1 alpha (HIF-1!), MMP-1 and MMP-13 at mRNA level in IL-1" and LPS-treated synoviocytes under hypoxia" (Ha, et al., 2011). MMP-1 and MMP-13 are collagenase enzymes involved in metastasis. When cells are fully nourished, supplied with protective hormones, and properly illuminated, their ability to communicate should be able to govern their movements, preventing--and possibly reversing--metastatic migration."

Heart and hormones
"...Rhubarb and emodin (a chemical found in rhubarb and cascara) have been found to have heart protective actions. A considerable amount of research showed that vitamin K is effective for treating hypertension, but again, most doctors warn against its use, because of its reputation as a clot forming vitamin. Recently, the value of the "blood thinner" warfarin, a vitamin K antagonist, has been questioned for people with heart failure (An, et al., 2013; Lee, et al., 2013). There have been several recent warnings about the production of arrhythmia by drugs that increase serotonin's effects (e.g., Stillman, et al., 2013)."

Note: This product contains raw material(s) meant for external use only, in cosmetic or other formulations designed for such external use.

Lapodin is a dietary supplement containing the napththoquinone beta-lapachone (β-lapachone) and the anthraquinone emodin. The name is a combination of the names beta-lapapachone and emodin. Both quinones have been the subject of hundreds of independent studies going back to the early 1900s, and are purported to have a powerful systemic effect on health, including boosting metabolism/respiration.

Serving size: 25 drops
Servings per container: about 30
Each serving contains the following ingredients:

Beta-lapachone - 5mg
Emodin - 20mg

Other ingredients: add product to shopping cart to see info

References:
1. Beta-lapachone / β-lapachone: Amazing Medicinal Properties Of Beta-lapachone (β-lapachone)
2. Emodin: Amazing Medicinal Properties Of Emodin
I'm thinking about getting the Lapodin. Is this to be used topically?

bluefish

I just received mine.... I did about 5 drops on wrist at night... then 4 the next morning... then felt very smooth leading to a bit too affected in some manner, which I assumed was from lapodin, then... 2 at night, then 2 this morning...

idk if its just me or if its the lapodin, I felt like it started off very smooth, then I kinda went for a rollercoaster ride... and feel basically out of wack.

I know people dont jump on here to help each person out, but really curious whats going on...

I'll start w not using it this eve, or probably tomorrow, and then start the next day w one drop...

Im not even clean on exactly what this is for, with a lot of these supps, its hard to concisely pin point the effects because when they work well its a overall improvement in various ways...

chompie

Trip report.

First day, 12 drops topically upper thigh. Nothing. No sleepiness, relaxation, increased bowel movements. Nothing

Day 2: full 25 drops orally with ~4oz Orange Juice. Nothing.

Day 3: full 25 drops orally straight from a spoon on empty stomach. Nothing.

All doses applied/taken at night.

Glad others have had success with this for relaxation, sleep, etc. But for my physio, this has been optically = sugar water.

Locutus

Hello All/@haidut
I'm interested to use Lapodin to help with constipation.
I have tried 30 drops orally before bed... No obvious effect of any kind.
What is the recommended upper dose range I may try?
Please mention if I need to be weary of any interaction with any other idealabs product.

P

Peatness

Hello All/@haidut
I'm interested to use Lapodin to help with constipation.
I have tried 30 drops orally before bed... No obvious effect of any kind.
What is the recommended upper dose range I may try?
Please mention if I need to be weary of any interaction with any other idealabs product.
Try it topically on the navel before bed. I used 15 drops this way and had the desired effect

golder

Try it topically on the navel before bed. I used 15 drops this way and had the desired effect
15 drops in the bellybutton? Wow, I'd love to try that, but I'm sure it would look like I've spilt a whole can of tango on my bedsheets within seconds.

P

Peatness

15 drops in the bellybutton? Wow, I'd love to try that, but I'm sure it would look like I've spilt a whole can of tango on my bedsheets within seconds.
Once it's rubbed in and it should be fine. I used my wrists to rubbed it and this morning my palm looked a bit jaundice. The colour migrated during the night lol

Cloudhands

so ive been taking lapodin daily, 1 drop on each wrist, and since starting this my sleep has been terrible. Does anyone know why this may be? I thought that by decreasing cortisol my sleep would be better. I havent changed anything else except adding this in.

Jam

If cortisol is too low the liver can't convert enough glycogen to glucose.

ddjd

Peat has written many articles on the topic of quinones and their effects on metabolism / respiration. The earliest official work probably started around the time of William Koch in the early 20th century and continues to this day. Many people are familiar with the popular quinone CoQ10 but there are other ones Ray has written about over the years, including anthraquinones like emodin and napththoquinones like vitamin K. Vitamin K has recently been found to be able to server as an alternative electron carrier for the electron transport chain even in the complete absence of CoQ10, so its importance in metabolism is indisputable.
Another napththoquinone that William Koch worked with in his later life while exiled in Brasil was lapachone - found in the bark of the Lapacho tree (aka Pau D'Arco, Tabebuia avellanedae). Lapachone was intensively studies in the 1960s and 1970s as a treatment for cancer but interest waned as the genetic theory of cancer conquered academia and the medical profession.
Being quinones, both emodin and beta-lapachone are intimately involved in the proper functioning of the electron transport chain, the recycling of NADH back to NAD and protecting from the systemic effects of stress and aging. In addition to these metabolic / systemic effects, both quinones have been shown to have a staggering array of effects including protecting from radiation, hypoxia, inflammation, endotoxin, diabetes, cortisol, aldosterone, estrogen, prolactin, serotonin, histamine, nitric oxide (NO), carbon monoxide (CO) viruses, bacteria, fungi, and even the aging process in general. Given their profoundly systemic effects, it is very likely that these two quinones can contribute to improved well-being and resistance to stress, aging, and frailty. The full list of references on both substances is so large that I had to post them as separate threads, which can be found at the bottom of this thread in the References section. As a shorter alternative, below are a few quotes from Peat in regards to these amazing substances.

Cascara, energy, cancer and the FDA's laxative abuse.
"...Emodin inhibits the formation of nitric oxide, increases mitochondrial respiration, inhibits angiogenesis and invasiveness, inhibits fatty acid synthase (Zhang, et al., 2002), inhibits HER-2 neu and tyrosine phosphorylases (Zhang, et al., 1995, 1999), and promotes cellular differentiation in cancer cells (Zhang, et al., 1995). The anthraquinones, like other antiinflammatory substances, reduce leakage from blood vessels, but they also reduce the absorption of water from the intestine. Reduced water absorption can be seen in a slight shrinkage of cells in certain circumsstances, and is probably related to their promotion of cellular differentiation."

"...Zelnorm was said to “act like serotonin.” Serotonin slows metabolism, reduces oxygen consumption, and increases free radicals such as superoxide and nitric oxide;the production of reactive oxygen species is probably an essential part of its normal function. Emodin has an opposing effect, increasing the metabolic rate. It increases mitochondrial oxygen consumption and ATP synthesis, while decreasing oxidative damage (Du and Ko, 2005, 2006; Huang, et al., 1995)."

"...Emodin isn’t a magic bullet (in fact it isn’t a bullet/toxin of any sort), but when combined with all the other adaptogens, it does have a place in cancer therapy, as well as in treating many other ailments. None of the basic metaphors of mainstream medicine--receptors, lock-and-key, membrane pores and pumps--can account for the laxative, anticancer, cell-protective effects of emodin. The new interest in it provides an opportunity to continue to investigate the effects of adjusting the electrical state of the cell substance, building on the foundations created by William F. Koch, Albert Szent-Gyorgyi, and Gilbert Ling."

Cancer: Disorder and Energy

"...Emodin and the anthraquinones (and naphthoquinones, such as lapachone) weren’t the reagents that Koch considered the most powerful, but emodin can produce to some degree all of the effects that he believed could be achieved by correcting the cellular respiratory apparatus:Antiinflammatory, antifibrotic (Wang, et al., 2007) antiviral, antidepressant, heart protective, antioxidant, memory enhancing, anticancer, anxiolytic and possibly antipsychotic."

"...Emodin, an anti-inflammatory substance found in cascara sagrada bark and other plants, is similar to other molecules that have been used for treating cancer, and one of its effects is to lower HIF: "Consistently, emodin attenuated the expression of cyclooxygenase 2 (COX-2), VEGF, hypoxia inducible factor 1 alpha (HIF-1!), MMP-1 and MMP-13 at mRNA level in IL-1" and LPS-treated synoviocytes under hypoxia" (Ha, et al., 2011). MMP-1 and MMP-13 are collagenase enzymes involved in metastasis. When cells are fully nourished, supplied with protective hormones, and properly illuminated, their ability to communicate should be able to govern their movements, preventing--and possibly reversing--metastatic migration."

Heart and hormones
"...Rhubarb and emodin (a chemical found in rhubarb and cascara) have been found to have heart protective actions. A considerable amount of research showed that vitamin K is effective for treating hypertension, but again, most doctors warn against its use, because of its reputation as a clot forming vitamin. Recently, the value of the "blood thinner" warfarin, a vitamin K antagonist, has been questioned for people with heart failure (An, et al., 2013; Lee, et al., 2013). There have been several recent warnings about the production of arrhythmia by drugs that increase serotonin's effects (e.g., Stillman, et al., 2013)."

Note: This product contains raw material(s) meant for external use only, in cosmetic or other formulations designed for such external use.

Lapodin is a dietary supplement containing the napththoquinone beta-lapachone (β-lapachone) and the anthraquinone emodin. The name is a combination of the names beta-lapapachone and emodin. Both quinones have been the subject of hundreds of independent studies going back to the early 1900s, and are purported to have a powerful systemic effect on health, including boosting metabolism/respiration.

Serving size: 25 drops
Servings per container: about 30
Each serving contains the following ingredients:

Beta-lapachone - 5mg
Emodin - 20mg

Other ingredients: add product to shopping cart to see info

References:
1. Beta-lapachone / β-lapachone: Amazing Medicinal Properties Of Beta-lapachone (β-lapachone)
2. Emodin: Amazing Medicinal Properties Of Emodin
This study shows that cascara sagrada's laxative effect works through inducing production of nitric oxide in the colon. More specifically, cascara induced 12 percent of nitric oxide synthase. The laxative affects of cascara were eliminated with an anti-nitric oxide agent. Should we be concerned about this?

ddjd

The links I posted on both substances have an entire section on the antiinflammatory properties and mechanisms. If you go through these it would be very informative. At a high level, both cascara and lapacho extracts inhibit the COX and LOX enzymes, iNOS, estrogen, and prolactin.
As far as absorption, I get the same effects on temperature from a single topical dose that I get from 3 daily doses taken morning/noon/evening. Not sure what that means for absorption but I think it is much higher topically than orally. Also, both quinones are known to be poorly absorbed orally and this is the reason behind the laxative effects of emodin.
This study suggests cascara raises NOS

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

Last edited:
OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

Did you check the sections on dosages? The dosages used were massive and would probably produce oxidative stress. See below.
"...Twelve rats were randomly assigned to either a control group (6 rats) or an emodin group (6 rats). Rats in the emodin group were orally administrated with emodin (150 mg/kg daily"

The HED of the above rat dose is about 21.5mg/kg, which means a person weighing 100kg would have to take more than 2g emodin daily to replicate the study design!! At such doses, any quinone is likely to cause damage, even something as "benign" as CoQ10. Another one of the studies you posted even states that the toxicity is dependent on dose.
"...Although emodin in low dose improve hepatic fibrosis4 50 , some studies have reported contradictory findings showing that emodin in high dose is hepatotoxic to normal rats.5 "

Btw, that study with the quote on dose-dependent effects of emodin used even more absurdly high doses of emodin.
"...Forty-eight male Sprague-Dawley (SD) rats (Vital River Laboratories, Beijing, China), 9 weeks of 97 age, were administered high-dose of emodin (1500 mg/kg daily, 100 times the clinical equivalent 98 of rhubarb), medium-dose of emodin (500 mg/kg daily, 33 times the clinical equivalent of 99 rhubarb), low-dose of emodin (150 mg/kg daily"

So, even if somebody were to somehow accidentally ingest the entire Lapodin bottle they won't get anywhere close to even the "low" doses (150mg/kg in rats) those studies used.
@chompie

brightside

Hmm, lets see..
Dose used: 150mg/kg

Dose used: (three groups)
- 150mg/kg
- 500mg/kg
- 1500mg/kg

Dose used: Couldn't find a full text

Dose used: Varied, but over 150mg/kg. They also used other agents to manipulate various enzymes.

If I did the math right, a dose of 150mg/kg is about 24mg/kg HED, or about 1.5 grams for a person weighing 60kg. In the second study, 150mg/kg was considered the "low dose".. Ahem, anything overdosed is toxic, what excellent findings.

The second study even says this:
Although emodin in low dose improve hepatic fibrosis , some studies have reported contradictory findings showing that emodin in high dose is hepatotoxic to normal rats.

I wouldn't worry with a few mg at a time. If you are really worried, take a test and check for liver enzymes after using emodin for a month. Plenty of substances are toxic in high doses, nothing new.