OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Does beta lapachone have a similar effect to methylene blue of being able to remove nitric oxide from cytochrome c oxidase?

Possibly, but it has not been studied directly AFAIK. However, emodin is known to have this effects and it also inhibits iNOS, so it lowers NO synthesis directly as well.

ddjd

Possibly, but it has not been studied directly AFAIK. However, emodin is known to have this effects and it also inhibits iNOS, so it lowers NO synthesis directly as well.
In the old podcasts with Danny Roddy I think you only mention methylene blue and red light as being able to dissociate nitric oxide from cytochrome c oxidase, so very interesting that you say Emodin can have the same effect

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
In the old podcasts with Danny Roddy I think you only mention methylene blue and red light as being able to dissociate nitric oxide from cytochrome c oxidase, so very interesting that you say Emodin can have the same effect

I did not know about emodin's effects back then. The methylene blue and red light are probably still more effective but emodin is very good at lowering iNOS so eventually will have metabolic benefit even if its effects on cytochrome C are weaker.

ddjd

I did not know about emodin's effects back then. The methylene blue and red light are probably still more effective but emodin is very good at lowering iNOS so eventually will have metabolic benefit even if its effects on cytochrome C are weaker.
am i right in thinking your Lapodin product would have all the anti-NO benefits without the laxative effects of cascara sagrada?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
am i right in thinking your Lapodin product would have all the anti-NO benefits without the laxative effects of cascara sagrada?

That was one of the hopes I had when conjuring it up :): The emodin in Cascara is in a glycoside form, which makes it almost unabsorbable and that's what allows it to reach the colon where bacteria break it down to plain emodin thus triggerring the laxative effect. We use pure emodin in Lapodin, which gets very well absorbed in the stomach and small intestine, with very little laxative effect.

ddjd

That was one of the hopes I had when conjuring it up :): The emodin in Cascara is in a glycoside form, which makes it almost unabsorbable and that's what allows it to reach the colon where bacteria break it down to plain emodin thus triggerring the laxative effect. We use pure emodin in Lapodin, which gets very well absorbed in the stomach and small intestine, with very little laxative effect.
is there any chance of ordering just an emodin supplement from you or is it only available with the lapachone also?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
is there any chance of ordering just an emodin supplement from you or is it only available with the lapachone also?

Sorry, we don't do only emodin as it has poor solubility and only when combined with other quinones it stays well dissolved. We cannot sell the raw powder due to agreements sold with the bulk vendors.

Spartan300

Lapodin is definitely improving sleep for me and I miss it when I don't take it. Would this suggest my sleep issues are cortisol related?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Lapodin is definitely improving sleep for me and I miss it when I don't take it. Would this suggest my sleep issues are cortisol related?

Possibly, but if it makes you feel any better, most people are in the same boat - i.e. cortisol levels do not decline with time while the sleep promoting steroids like pregnenolone/DHEA/progesterone do. So, most people over 35 have sleep trouble due to relative cortisol excess. Sometimes, lower dose pregnenolone/progesterone has the same sleep promoting effect and they both oppose cortisol.

brocktoon

Possibly, but if it makes you feel any better, most people are in the same boat - i.e. cortisol levels do not decline with time while the sleep promoting steroids like pregnenolone/DHEA/progesterone do. So, most people over 35 have sleep trouble due to relative cortisol excess. Sometimes, lower dose pregnenolone/progesterone has the same sleep promoting effect and they both oppose cortisol.
@haidut Of all of your non-T3/T4 supplements, could you identify which ones (or which ones taken in tandem) might tend to provide the most direct support for sleep for someone like me (a 50 yr old hypothyroid male w/low T and stressful sleep). I realize that this would vary from person to person, but some things probably tend to help more than others in the pro-sleep context.

Spartan300

Thanks @haidut . I've tried pregnenolone & progesterone & whilst I think there's an anti-anxiety effect there's also a libido lowering effect for me but that could be due to the fact that I believe that much of my problem is stress related.

Last couple of days of sleep haven't been good & it correlates with a resurgence of an ongoing source of stress for me.

I'll keep using the Lapodin but I'm probably going to try 5a-DHP to see if I can get the pregnenolone/progesterone benefits without the libido lowering effect whilst under stress.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut Of all of your non-T3/T4 supplements, could you identify which ones (or which ones taken in tandem) might tend to provide the most direct support for sleep for someone like me (a 50 yr old hypothyroid male w/low T and stressful sleep). I realize that this would vary from person to person, but some things probably tend to help more than others in the pro-sleep context.

I would say Oxidal, Progestene, and possibly Diamant. Lapodin should help too as it should lower excess cortisol.

Spartan300

Lapodin is definitely helping with stress related insomnia for my rat. For the first time I gave him a full 20 drop dose of Lapodin orally last night after a stressful day & he slept more soundly than he has in a while.

Is it ok to be taking this orally? I put it in a little OJ but it sticks to the glass etc. I'd rather use topically but at 20 drops you're going to have a seriously yellow stained rat!

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Lapodin is definitely helping with stress related insomnia for my rat. For the first time I gave him a full 20 drop dose of Lapodin orally last night after a stressful day & he slept more soundly than he has in a while.

Is it ok to be taking this orally? I put it in a little OJ but it sticks to the glass etc. I'd rather use topically but at 20 drops you're going to have a seriously yellow stained rat!

Thanks, glad to hear it is helping!
We can't officially recommend oral use. We do use only food-grade or higher materials to make the products, but using orally is done at the user's discretion.

PecosRiver

Lapodin on skin stains clothing. I waited 20 minutes after applying 10 drops to thigh to insure it was dry and absorbed before putting on my shorts, and a yellow color showed up on my khaki shorts. It was sort of in an embarrassing spot.

Since oral isn't recommended, how do other folks deal with clothing stains?

Spartan300

I would say Oxidal, Progestene, and possibly Diamant. Lapodin should help too as it should lower excess cortisol.

@haidut I'm keen on trying oxidal as you put it first in your list of sleep aids.

Would there be any contraindication with oxidal relating to my high intra-ocular pressure?

Fractality

What is the mechanism behind lapodin and its constituents protection against harmful heart effects? Is it related to its cortisol antagonistic properties?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut I'm keen on trying oxidal as you put it first in your list of sleep aids.

Would there be any contraindication with oxidal relating to my high intra-ocular pressure?

The sleep promoting effects are usually seen in doses around 1mg, and at those doses it should not have an effect on BP or IOP. I would try 1 drop and if everything seems fine increase the dose to up to 3 drops before bed.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
What is the mechanism behind lapodin and its constituents protection against harmful heart effects? Is it related to its cortisol antagonistic properties?

Most quinones are anti-fibrotic and anthraquinones like emodin are also serotonin antagonists. The latter has known protective effect against heart failure and Pfizer is running trials for treating/preventing heart failure with a serotonin antagonist called terguride, which is just lisuride with extra hydrogen atom.

Wagner83

The sleep promoting effects are usually seen in doses around 1mg, and at those doses it should not have an effect on BP or IOP. I would try 1 drop and if everything seems fine increase the dose to up to 3 drops before bed.

I may be one in a million but as I said a few times, because of my experience with it and what was reported here, I would still be very careful with mb upon starting supplementation (probably start with way less than 1mg to get a feel), and I would make damn sure to check the foods I eat if I did (tyramine etc..), even more so since you report existing blood pressure issues. This being said some people can bathe in it without noticing.
I would like to add that I find it frustrating because I see a lot of potential in MB. It seems to shift a lot of things in the right direction.