Broken man

I usually take it orally in soda, but sometimes rub it on my calves or shoulders (before bed to avoid staining clothes). Methylene blue may be better in raising the NAD/NADH ratio even though the emodin and other quinones should work as well.
Are you taking orally DMSO or SFA ester version? I found that taking SFA ester version makes me bloated like I ate muscle meat without gelatin. About topical use, how long is needed to absorb it? I found that when I wash it away after 15-20 minutes, I have no problem with staining but when I let it without washing, Its almost impossible wash it away next day.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Are you taking orally DMSO or SFA ester version? I found that taking SFA ester version makes me bloated like I ate muscle meat without gelatin. About topical use, how long is needed to absorb it? I found that when I wash it away after 15-20 minutes, I have no problem with staining but when I let it without washing, Its almost impossible wash it away next day.

We don't use DMSO any more, so it is the SFA version I use. It does not make me bloated, quite to the contrary. I think it takes about 15min to absorb a decent amount and then it can be washed off. Waiting longer absorbs more but as you found out it makes it hard to wash off.

Broken man

We don't use DMSO any more, so it is the SFA version I use. It does not make me bloated, quite to the contrary. I think it takes about 15min to absorb a decent amount and then it can be washed off. Waiting longer absorbs more but as you found out it makes it hard to wash off.
Thank you for your response. Do you get phlegm build up from using it orally or thats just me?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Thank you for your response. Do you get phlegm build up from using it orally or thats just me?

No, I don't. I usually take 10 drops with juice or Coke/Pepsi.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

Andman

Started experimenting with this today, 1 drop oral + 1 drop transdermal. No other changes in caloric intake, activity, supplements etc.

Temperature has been stable at 37.2 (pulse 90-95) for a good 6 hours now (usually around 36.8 pulse 80-85).

Bowels bit loose as some other users reported too

mirc12354

This product is just too good at lowerng cortisol/estrogen. Even half a dose (10 drops of an old DMSO formula) makes my back hurt so much I cannot even get a decent sleep...

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
This product is just too good at lowerng cortisol/estrogen. Even half a dose (10 drops of an old DMSO formula) makes my back hurt so much I cannot even get a decent sleep...

Thanks for the feedback. Does it also increase hunger for you?

brocktoon

@
Peat has written many articles on the topic of quinones and their effects on metabolism / respiration. The earliest official work probably started around the time of William Koch in the early 20th century and continues to this day. Many people are familiar with the popular quinone CoQ10 but there are other ones Ray has written about over the years, including anthraquinones like emodin and napththoquinones like vitamin K. Vitamin K has recently been found to be able to server as an alternative electron carrier for the electron transport chain even in the complete absence of CoQ10, so its importance in metabolism is indisputable.
Another napththoquinone that William Koch worked with in his later life while exiled in Brasil was lapachone - found in the bark of the Lapacho tree (aka Pau D'Arco, Tabebuia avellanedae). Lapachone was intensively studies in the 1960s and 1970s as a treatment for cancer but interest waned as the genetic theory of cancer conquered academia and the medical profession.
Being quinones, both emodin and beta-lapachone are intimately involved in the proper functioning of the electron transport chain, the recycling of NADH back to NAD and protecting from the systemic effects of stress and aging. In addition to these metabolic / systemic effects, both quinones have been shown to have a staggering array of effects including protecting from radiation, hypoxia, inflammation, endotoxin, diabetes, cortisol, aldosterone, estrogen, prolactin, serotonin, histamine, nitric oxide (NO), carbon monoxide (CO) viruses, bacteria, fungi, and even the aging process in general. Given their profoundly systemic effects, it is very likely that these two quinones can contribute to improved well-being and resistance to stress, aging, and frailty. The full list of references on both substances is so large that I had to post them as separate threads, which can be found at the bottom of this thread in the References section. As a shorter alternative, below are a few quotes from Peat in regards to these amazing substances.

Cascara, energy, cancer and the FDA's laxative abuse.
"...Emodin inhibits the formation of nitric oxide, increases mitochondrial respiration, inhibits angiogenesis and invasiveness, inhibits fatty acid synthase (Zhang, et al., 2002), inhibits HER-2 neu and tyrosine phosphorylases (Zhang, et al., 1995, 1999), and promotes cellular differentiation in cancer cells (Zhang, et al., 1995). The anthraquinones, like other antiinflammatory substances, reduce leakage from blood vessels, but they also reduce the absorption of water from the intestine. Reduced water absorption can be seen in a slight shrinkage of cells in certain circumsstances, and is probably related to their promotion of cellular differentiation."

"...Zelnorm was said to “act like serotonin.” Serotonin slows metabolism, reduces oxygen consumption, and increases free radicals such as superoxide and nitric oxide;the production of reactive oxygen species is probably an essential part of its normal function. Emodin has an opposing effect, increasing the metabolic rate. It increases mitochondrial oxygen consumption and ATP synthesis, while decreasing oxidative damage (Du and Ko, 2005, 2006; Huang, et al., 1995)."

"...Emodin isn’t a magic bullet (in fact it isn’t a bullet/toxin of any sort), but when combined with all the other adaptogens, it does have a place in cancer therapy, as well as in treating many other ailments. None of the basic metaphors of mainstream medicine--receptors, lock-and-key, membrane pores and pumps--can account for the laxative, anticancer, cell-protective effects of emodin. The new interest in it provides an opportunity to continue to investigate the effects of adjusting the electrical state of the cell substance, building on the foundations created by William F. Koch, Albert Szent-Gyorgyi, and Gilbert Ling."

Cancer: Disorder and Energy

"...Emodin and the anthraquinones (and naphthoquinones, such as lapachone) weren’t the reagents that Koch considered the most powerful, but emodin can produce to some degree all of the effects that he believed could be achieved by correcting the cellular respiratory apparatus:Antiinflammatory, antifibrotic (Wang, et al., 2007) antiviral, antidepressant, heart protective, antioxidant, memory enhancing, anticancer, anxiolytic and possibly antipsychotic."

"...Emodin, an anti-inflammatory substance found in cascara sagrada bark and other plants, is similar to other molecules that have been used for treating cancer, and one of its effects is to lower HIF: "Consistently, emodin attenuated the expression of cyclooxygenase 2 (COX-2), VEGF, hypoxia inducible factor 1 alpha (HIF-1!), MMP-1 and MMP-13 at mRNA level in IL-1" and LPS-treated synoviocytes under hypoxia" (Ha, et al., 2011). MMP-1 and MMP-13 are collagenase enzymes involved in metastasis. When cells are fully nourished, supplied with protective hormones, and properly illuminated, their ability to communicate should be able to govern their movements, preventing--and possibly reversing--metastatic migration."

Heart and hormones
"...Rhubarb and emodin (a chemical found in rhubarb and cascara) have been found to have heart protective actions. A considerable amount of research showed that vitamin K is effective for treating hypertension, but again, most doctors warn against its use, because of its reputation as a clot forming vitamin. Recently, the value of the "blood thinner" warfarin, a vitamin K antagonist, has been questioned for people with heart failure (An, et al., 2013; Lee, et al., 2013). There have been several recent warnings about the production of arrhythmia by drugs that increase serotonin's effects (e.g., Stillman, et al., 2013)."

Note: This product contains raw material(s) meant for external use only, in cosmetic or other formulations designed for such external use.

Lapodin is a dietary supplement containing the napththoquinone beta-lapachone (β-lapachone) and the anthraquinone emodin. The name is a combination of the names beta-lapapachone and emodin. Both quinones have been the subject of hundreds of independent studies going back to the early 1900s, and are purported to have a powerful systemic effect on health, including boosting metabolism/respiration.

Serving size: 20 drops
Servings per container: about 30
Each serving contains the following ingredients:

Beta-lapachone - 5mg
Emodin - 40mg

Other ingredients: DMSO, ethanol

References:
1. Beta-lapachone / β-lapachone: Amazing Medicinal Properties Of Beta-lapachone (β-lapachone)
2. Emodin: Amazing Medicinal Properties Of Emodin
@haidut Haidut, my rat has a slow emptying emptying stomach (gastroparesis) and constipation associated with PD. Trying to suggest to her some things that may be helpful, possibly including maybe a good cascara product and Lapodin/emodin. Which of these or perhaps both might helpful in this context?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@

@haidut Haidut, my rat has a slow emptying emptying stomach (gastroparesis) and constipation associated with PD. Trying to suggest to her some things that may be helpful, possibly including maybe a good cascara product and Lapodin/emodin. Which of these or perhaps both might helpful in this context?

Peat said a few times that for gastroparesis, an enema with hypertonic saline may work best, as could possibly oral baking soda. Emodin/Cascara/Lapodin could also help but I would try those other remedies first.

DaveFoster

@haidut

For someone taking 2-4 grams cascara sagrada daily to speed peristalsis and lower gut inflammation, do you think a lower dose of Lapodin (and thus emodin) would be safer?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut

For someone taking 2-4 grams cascara sagrada daily to speed peristalsis and lower gut inflammation, do you think a lower dose of Lapodin (and thus emodin) would be safer?

Beta lapachone is also supposed to help with gut inflammation so it could be synergistic. I would just be careful not to take too much emodin between the two as it can think the blood quite easily and probably more potently than even aspirin. So, using vitamin K with higher dose Cascara/Lapodin becomes important.

DaveFoster

Beta lapachone is also supposed to help with gut inflammation so it could be synergistic. I would just be careful not to take too much emodin between the two as it can think the blood quite easily and probably more potently than even aspirin. So, using vitamin K with higher dose Cascara/Lapodin becomes important.
Thank you. I'm going to post a quote here in case anyone needs some info regarding the new SFA formulation with Kuinone (K2 in SFA esters):

haidut: "It is hard to make comparisons of topical vs. oral dosing and effectiveness. The routes of administration change not only blood levels but also the overall health effects. If I had to guess, I'd say about 8mg-10mg Kuinone topically may achieve the same blood levels as 45mg vitamin K2 orally."

TreasureVibe

Dr. Peat wrote me the following reply for advice on treating an enlarged colon:

It was once a commonly recognized explanation for the leg varicose veins that developed in pregnant women. Thyroid hormone is important for maintaining function of the colon as well as veins, and fibrous foods (raw carrots, cooked mushrooms and bamboo shoots, bran, for example) will sometimes correct the problem. Avoiding starchy foods is important. Well aged cascara sagrada along with the other things has corrected some enlarged colons. - RP

But since there are studies linking Cascara Sagrada to liver disease, I don't like the risk of taking it.

Would this supplement benefit an enlarged colon and colon health like Cascara Sagrada? @haidut

churchmouth

Should I avoid this one if I am already low body fat? I am interested in all the other properties.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Dr. Peat wrote me the following reply for advice on treating an enlarged colon:

It was once a commonly recognized explanation for the leg varicose veins that developed in pregnant women. Thyroid hormone is important for maintaining function of the colon as well as veins, and fibrous foods (raw carrots, cooked mushrooms and bamboo shoots, bran, for example) will sometimes correct the problem. Avoiding starchy foods is important. Well aged cascara sagrada along with the other things has corrected some enlarged colons. - RP

But since there are studies linking Cascara Sagrada to liver disease, I don't like the risk of taking it.

Would this supplement benefit an enlarged colon and colon health like Cascara Sagrada? @haidut

I can't comment directly on specific conditions but it should mimic Cascara effects pretty well. Also, the beta lapachone has additional anti-inflammatory effects beyond what emodin offers, so they should be a synergy.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
If I'm not wrong, Will used to recommend fasting before the injection of reagents in patients. Perhaps the best time to use this supplement is with breakfast, or even better as burtlan's entrée to the first meal.

I would still use some sugar with it as it can have pretty potent hypoglycemic effects. But I agree on using on empty stomach when possible.