Home > Merchants > Merchant Forums > IdeaLabs > Lanosterol - Liquid Lanosterol For Lab/R&D

Lanosterol - Liquid Lanosterol For Lab/R&D

1. I guess most people on the forum who have heard of lanosterol know it in the context of treating cataracts.
    Lanosterol - Wikipedia

There is a company out there who used to sell lanosterol as eye drops and it is insanely expensive - $100 for a meager 10mg lanosterol.
    Anyways, lanosterol is actually a very interesting molecule in its own right and its benefits go way beyond eye health, even though the mechanism of action for cataracts suggests where else it may be beneficial. The primary effect of lanosterol are related to reversing protein aggregation in the eyes and in brain (ALS, Alzheimer, Huntington, CTE, TBI), protecting dopamiergic neurons (Parkinson), inhibiting cortisol synthesis, uncoupling metabolism, protecting from viral (flu) and bacterial (tetanus) infections, anti-endotoxin (TLR4), and has been studied as a cancer prevention chemical. There is some preliminary research that lanosterol may retard and even reverse lipofuscin accumulation but the evidence on that is still very sparse. Most of the studies found that the optimal concentration of lanosterol is in the range 5uM - 10uM for most experiments, except for Huntington disease where 1uM was enough.
    If the protein aggregation in the brain can indeed be reversed then lanosterol can be very interesting for the NFL community, military and other professions where TBI/CTE is common.
    So, in light of these interesting properties of lanosterol I decided to release it as a supplement.

The units listed on the label are just for measurement purposes. They do not indicate suggested or optimal dose. Please note that similar to the products sold by companies like BluePeptides, this product is for lab/research use only. The product can be ordered from the link below:
    www.idealabsdc.com/lab

*******************************************************************************
    Lanosterol is the primary precursor of cholesterol (and thus steroids) of animals and fungi. It has been shown to possess a number of beneficial health effects including reversing protein aggregation in neurodegenerative diseases, pro-metabolic (uncoupler), anti-inflammatory, anti-endotoxin, anti-glucocorticoid, anti-viral, anti-mutagenic, antimicrobial, anti-cancer, anxiolytic, antidepressant, and generally anti-aging.

Drops per container: about 240
    Each drop contains the following ingredients:

Lanosterol: 1mg

Other ingredients: tocopherols, MCT
    *******************************************************************************

References:

Neurodegenerative conditions
    Lanosterol Suppresses the Aggregation and Cytotoxicity of Misfolded Proteins Linked with Neurodegenerative Diseases. - PubMed - NCBI
    "...Accumulation of misfolded or aberrant proteins in neuronal cells is linked with neurodegeneration and other pathologies. Which molecular mechanisms fail and cause inappropriate folding of proteins and what is their relationship to cellular toxicity is not well known. How does it happen and what are the probable therapeutic or molecular approaches to counter them are also not clear. Here, we demonstrate that treatment of lanosterol diminishes aberrant proteotoxic aggregation and mitigates their cytotoxicity via induced expression of co-chaperone CHIP and elevated autophagy. The addition of lanosterol not only reduces aggregation of mutant bonafide misfolded proteins but also effectively prevents accumulation of various mutant disease-prone proteotoxic proteins. Finally, we observed that lanosterol mitigates cytotoxicity in cells, mediated by different stress-inducing agents. Taken together, our present results suggest that upregulation of cellular molecular chaperones, primarily using small molecules, can probably offer an efficient therapeutic approach in the future against misfolding of different disease-causing proteins and neurodegenerative disorders."

CYP46A1, the rate-limiting enzyme for cholesterol degradation, is neuroprotective in Huntington's disease. - PubMed - NCBI
    Lanosterol induces mitochondrial uncoupling and protects dopaminergic neurons from cell death in a model for Parkinson's disease. - PubMed - NCBI

Eye health
    Lanosterol reverses protein aggregation in cataracts. - PubMed - NCBI

Anti-glucocorticoid (11b-HSD1 inhibitor)
    Endogenous inhibitors of 11 beta-OHSD: existence and possible significance. - PubMed - NCBI

Endotoxin protection
    Lanosterol Modulates TLR4-Mediated Innate Immune Responses in Macrophages. - PubMed - NCBI

Fertility
    Effect of lanosterol on the in vitro maturation in semi-defined culture system of prepubertal ewe oocytes. - PubMed - NCBI
    Lanosterol influences cytoplasmic maturation of pig oocytes in vitro and improves preimplantation development of cloned embryos. - PubMed - NCBI
    Effects of lanosterol on in vitro maturation of porcine oocytes. - PubMed - NCBI
    Lanosterol metabolic product(s) is involved in primordial folliculogenesis and establishment of primordial follicle pool in mouse fetal ovary. - PubMed - NCBI

Metabolism/uncoupling
    Lanosterol induces mitochondrial uncoupling and protects dopaminergic neurons from cell death in a model for Parkinson's disease. - PubMed - NCBI
    "...As expected, treatment of neurons with 200 nM m-chlorophenylhydrazone (CCCP), a known uncoupler of oxidative phosphorylation, induced an immediate and sharp reduction of the mitochondrial membrane potential (∼25% within 30 s; Figure 6a). Under these same experimental conditions, exogenous addition of lanosterol reduced the membrane potential by ∼20% over 15 min, whereas PC and cholesterol had no significant effect (Figure 6b)."

Antimicrobial, antiparasitic, antiviral
    Influenza viral membrane fusion is sensitive to sterol concentration but surprisingly robust to sterol chemical identity. - PubMed - NCBI
    [Effect of the administration of lanosterol on the rat exposed to an injection of tetanus toxin]. - PubMed - NCBI
    [Attenuation of the effects of tetanus toxin in mice after absorption of lanosterol]. - PubMed - NCBI
    [Decrease of mortality in the rat after administration of lanosterol during an epidemic bronchopulmonary infection]. - PubMed - NCBI

Anti-proliferative
    Influence of lanosterol and chicken embryonal extract upon the course of 3,4-benzpyrene induced skin carcinogenesis in mice. - PubMed - NCBI
    Chemopreventive effect of farnesol and lanosterol on colon carcinogenesis. - PubMed - NCBI

Pro-dopamine

2. I would've put good money on you calling this something like ShroomMax.

Do you have any info on the production? I doubt it's one of the junky manufacturing methods they mention in here, but I thought it's worth confirming.

3. That product on Amazon is 10mg TOTAL lanosterol per bottle for $99. Our product is 240mg for $35 :):
    I don't know if it can be used as eye drops when dissolved in tocopherol. Somebody should probably ask Peat.

4. That study talks about how to separate lanosterol from dihydrolanosterol using a lower purity lanosterol product (50% - 60% purity) as source. Ours is 99% purity and the vendor claims it is synthesized from cholesterol (not extracted from shrooms) so the method you cite is not involved.

5. Is exogenous lanosterol a micronutrient? - PubMed

Lanosterol, a precursor of cholesterol, is ingested with human diet and occurs in the body in concentrations exceeding solubility. Flesh of immature animals is a common source of dietary lanosterol, which may form with cholestanol and water an insoluble adjunct, CL-2W. As the latter may contribute to various disorders, exogenous lanosterol should be avoided by diet adjustment.

:( Bummer

6. Oh, this is great!!! Thank you so much - this seems especially promising, about time more research is done!
    Any difference in the effectiveness of topical v oral dosing in rats?

7. friggin AWESOME

8. This is just a proposed possible problem. The actual tests with lanosterol on living organisms have not revealed problems so far, quite the opposite actually. But something to keep in mind.

9. I feel about the same using it either way. It makes me warm and somewhat sleepy.

10. That article title, "Scientists Have Developed an Eye Drop That Can Dissolve Cataracts," triggers a vague memory in me. When it first came out in 2015 or so, I think there were articles I saw back then that said this substance will be vigorously opposed by eye surgeons, because those with cataracts won't need surgery when using this stuff. Big bucks in cataract surgery and this would be a big market disruptor of that market, methinks.

11. This is Yuuuuuuge! :D

12. Let's see if I start getting angry emails from eye surgeons :):

13. I hope you don't, but does not hurt to prepare. If this gets out to normie world, you may become a very well-off man, haidut. :): Couldn't happen to better fellow, you deserve it!!

14. As cholestanol appears mostly in the gut, oral intake of lanosterol might be risky.

15. Interested in effects it has in ppl.

16. Why would it be risky? Cholestanol does not seem to have a role in humans, it is just a metabolic byproduct of cholesterol in the gut. In fact, it is used as a biomarker of fecal contamination.
    The study above hinting at its risk is inaccessible but I can't find anything that shows cholestanol is something we need. In fact, cholestanol itself may be dangerous as it has a role in xanthomas and gallstone formation, so binding it maybe reduce those risks or even reverse the pathology.
    Mechanism of Accumulation of Cholesterol and Cholestanol in Tendons and the Role of Sterol 27-hydroxylase (CYP27A1) | Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology
    http://www.drturumin.com/ToDownload/020115_05_en.pdf

17. Have you tried this product yourself? What were the effects you noticed? How much were you taking?

18. Was your question for me about the castor oil or for haidut about his product?

19. After my mum read that lanosterol was used to dissolve cataracts, she decided to trial TocoVit in her eye, due to the presence of lanosterol.

Her eye was progressively getting worse, however once starting the TocoVit the deterioration halted.

She had to stop due to irritation.

The result would be interesting in regards to cataracts, especially considering the outcome my mum had using the tiny amount of lanosterol in TocoVit.

Or perhaps it was just the E that helped!?

20. Haidut, But You can Sahare YouTube exlerience as Wells.

21. When I was testing it I was using 20mg as a single dose before bed. It makes me relaxed and sleepy similar to progesterone and it also raises temps noticeably in that dose. However, most of the studies on reversing protein aggregation used concentrations achievable with 5mg - 15mg dose.

22. It is hard to say what helped, but I a glad it helped. The amount of lanosterol in TocoVit is not that much, probably 1mg/ml (20 drops). So, for reversing protein aggregation in the brain separate lanosterol in higher doses would be needed.

23. If still relevant, it might be a fruitful experiment to apply TocoVit (or lanesterol) topically near the eye (for instance, on the face below the lower lid), since application in the eye caused irritation. It is possible that topical absorption regionally may give some supply to the intended area.

Topical application of vitamins, for example, sometimes relieves areas several cm/inches from the surface, IME.

24. Excellent suggestion.

25. I had a look at the 1966 study about the protective effect of lanosterol for tetanus toxin exposure, by Aubert and co-authors. It can be found here:

Comptes rendus hebdomadaires des séances de l'Académie des sciences. Série D, Sciences naturelles

Keep in mind that tetanus toxin can be life threatening. In humans, extreme cases get full ICU support to survive. The Aubert study used different concentrations of toxin. A large portion of the mouse animal subjects survived at the lower tetanus toxin concentrations. The lanosterol dose was given through feeding tube, at 5 mg per day. An approximate human equivalent might be in the 300 mg per day range.

(Respectfully, I am not suggesting that the new product be used in large quantities for medical emergencies, only noting relative research quantities. The Aubert research only used one lanosterol dose size, in small animals.)

I do not know of clearly related follow-up studies. It is a half century old research strand. It suggests a strongly protective action for lanosterol to a potent neurotoxin. Hopefully, more studies of lanosterol action will emerge.

26. Wow, thanks so much for this! I wanted so much to read these studies but PubMed only had the titles and not even an abstract. What was the method of administration (- oral, IP, s.c., etc) and for how long?

27. The research report is condensed. As best I can tell, in groups with significant results, the lanesterol daily feeding was started BEFORE the toxin exposure, 23 to 39 days before depending on the group. It continued each day of the trial. Lanosterol was delivered by gastric tube in solution, rather than orally in feed or IP.

28. Great, thanks!

29. The Abstract of this study:

Anti-glucocorticoid (11b-HSD1 inhibitor)
    Endogenous inhibitors of 11 beta-OHSD: existence and possible significance. - PubMed - NCBI

Doesn't specify whether lanosterol is an 11b-HSD1 or HSD2 inhibitor. If HSD1 it would limit the conversion of cortisone to cortisol. But if HSD2, it would inhibit the conversion of cortisone to cortisol.

Is this specification something you gathered from the body of the study or some other means?

30. It does both, but with much higher preference for inhibiting the reductive form of the enzyme (11b-HSD1) than the oxidative. So, as long as it is used in doses less than 100mg daily the 11b-HSD2 inhbition should not be an issue.
    From the study: "...reductive activity is more effectively inhibited by cholesterol and lanosterol than oxidative activity, in contrast with all other inhibitors examined so far. "
    Btw, 11b-HSD2 inhbition is only problematic if cortisol levels are already high - i.e. no way to deactivate the cortisol. But if 11b-HSD1 is inhibited first then there would be not much cortisol to deactivate to start with.

31. Another comprehensively dabble-worthy production from the first and last name in Idealabs Supplements, the only brand I know and and trust.

Would this be useful in a fatloss stackation?

32. Great explanation. Thanks @haidut .

BTW, you clearly figured out what I meant, but in case anybody was confused by my question, the last sentence was meant to say "But if HSD2, it would inhibit the conversion of cortisol to cortisone."

33. I got you, no worries, but thanks for the clarification anyways :): You never know who is reading this.

34. My rats played college football so might have some CTE though rats have always felt like they do not have any brain damage from the sport. Tried 5 drops orally today and it seems to have given some dopaminergic tone. Pretty happy and care free. Kind of reminds me of diamant. Will try a larger dose in the evening before bed, but so far so good!

35. Great, thanks Dan! Any change in temps / pulse?

36. I'm pretty underfed at the moment, but definitely noticed it boosted metabolism, because I had an immediate crave/need for sugar :).

37. Yesterday I took 5 mg of lanosterol in the afternoon with some cascara, 5 mg DHEA, 3 mg progesterone (all cortisol lowering or blocking agents). Had a good workout, brightening of mood and lessening of brain fog throughout the rest of the day. However later in the had a strange adrenaline surge, similar to the reports of RU among users. Once before bed and again in the middle of sleep which woke me up promptly. I'm not sure what this would mean? Whether it is good or bad who knows... But the users of the PFS thread I believe say it is a sign of things working in the right direction...

I otherwise feel pretty great today granted the minimal sleep with no lanosterol today.

Maybe I should try a lower dose?

38. Possibly too high a dose but I would try on its own before drawing conclusions. The additional steroids could skew the results.

39. Will do. Is there a listed half-life for lanosterol?

40. Have not seen any info on that but I presume it is similar to cholesterol. LDL half life is about 3 days, so if lanosterol is the same it can really build up even with low dose.

41. This product reminds me of Rita Levi-Montalcini who discovered NGF (Nerve Growth Factor). Iirc she dropped pure NGF on her eyes for ages. I know Lions Mane Mushroom has NGF. Is this product in any way connected with NGF? When I think about it I have never read about NGF or BDNF on this forum at all. Is this even a thing in "Peat" world?

42. Have not seen anything on lanosterol and NGF but if it reverses protein aggregation it should increase neurogenesis.
    Yes, BDNF is a thing in Peat world and a few steroids like androsterone, pregnenolone and progesterone increase it.
    The Antidepressant Mechanism Of Androsterone

43. Do you think that this could help with chronic dry eyes? I've seen my rats scratching their eyes incessantly..

44. I would like to try it but don't know if customs will confiscate it or not. What's your experience been like shipping to Italy?

45. I don't think it is good as eye drops but may be tried rubbing around the eye on the eyelid or even temples.

46. Lanosterol is not a controlled product in Italy and a few packages with lanosterol sent there passed through just fine. But there is always a risk that customs will stop a package for a "random check".

47. A small package with 1 product doesn't get screened for some reason. I think there is a weight threshold.

48. In my experience the threshold is both weight and number dependent. Anything under 100g (3oz) and/or havig 3 or fewer items seems to pass pretty easily through Italian customs.

49. Anymore rat experiences to share?

50. I actually met two guys that sort the packages at the customs one time. They had a few beers and basically confirmed that they don't have the ability to go through all the small packets so they just don't. Anyway I'd be hard-pressed to find one controlled substance in Italy that is sold by IdeaLabs, save maybe cypro and T3 T4. Oh and some vitamins have a limit on import quantity, but the customs don't seem to know/care.

51. Good to know thanks.

52. It has been my favorite supplement from Idea Labs if only I could fix the sleeping issues.

I have settled and 1 mg per day lately and that seems to work but I'm thinking the dose of lanosterol might be too low to see any benefit.

53. What effects are most apparent?

54. Brightening of mood, lessening of brain fog and a mild stimulant effect

55. @aarfai, when you say sleeping issues, is that pertaining to the lanosterol? Does it make you sleepy at all, or do you find it stimulating?

56. It started once I added the lanosterol. Don't think it's the lanosterol itself per se.

I think it might be the combination of uncoulpers since I'm also on thyroid, low dose DHEA and low dose pregnenolone

57. @aarfai wouldn't cascara (or charcoal or carrot or bamboo) lower/block the effectiveness of any supplements taken at the same time?

58. is cascara adsorbent like those? I thought its main action was through quinones.

59. @managing
    AFAIK cascara is not adsorbent and can help metabolism via quinones. However, if taken orally, cascara can have a laxative effect. That is why i would try not to take it with meds or supps. Sorry to hijack this thread!

60. I'm not sure if this is Lanosterol, or the fact I've been hitting the thyroid a bit more regularly, but...

A few years ago I was in a car accident and had some whiplash. I got most of the function of my neck and shoulders back, but I never managed to get entirely pain free or fluid movement there. Recently these areas started really hurting but also freeing up. The frozen shoulder I experienced has become a lot looser and more mobile, I'm more aware of the position of my neck, which when I move I can hear the crinkling of synovial garbage that's been there for quite some time. A lot of the discomfort is gone. I'm aware that hypothyroidism is associated with a lot of joint issues, but I've taken thyroid before and not got these results, so I think it's at least in part the lanosterol.

Is anyone else experiencing changes in joint mobility from this stuff?

61. How much Lanosterol and thyroid are you taking?

62. 10mg lanosterol, and between two and three drops of tyromix with my morning and evening meals.

63. So something that reversed protein aggregation in neurodegenerative diseases could possibly be good news for people who suffer from Alzheimer's or some other type of dementia related conditions - theoretically speaking of course - on a purely theoretical basis you understand?

64. Thanks and do you get any sleep disturbances at all?

65. No, not that I noticed.

66. I mentioned this in the very post you quoted. Look at the 5th line from the top.

67. Seems like this thread has stalled out. I just started trying this out. Want to wait until I have more experience before I respond on that.

What dosage (and how) are people using?

68. Most people who reported using lanosterol seem to be sticking to the 5mg - 8mg amount daily. It seems to have a sedating and thermogenic effects on those amounts.

69. I'm ready for at least a preliminary report.

I started with one drop at night. I liked that, so I added a drop in the morning. I found that it was mildly sedating in the morning. Not groggy, just that feeling of needing a cup of coffee.

So I started 2 drops at night. I liked that. So I switched to 3 drops at night. I am liking that but will stick with it for a week or so before I up it again.

So, what do I like? I have to say, I haven't seen any thermogenic effects. I am going to bed shortly afterwards and it has been colder at night. So maybe I sleep through it.

Or, maybe like thyroid, if it lowers cortisol, while having other thermogenic qualities, you can still get a net reduction in temp. I haven't had labs, but I would have to say anecdotally that it has had a significant impact on cortisol. I'm feeling colder. While many on here strive to feel warmer, I strive to feel colder (appropriate to climate). Along with that has come calmer, clearer headed, more energy, more endurance. I would also say quite clearly symptoms of higher T (voice, muscle, sexual). That may be secondary to reduced cortisol rather than a primary effect. So don't know if others are going to see that or not.

Ongoing experiment. If I get to 5mg or experience anything else interesting, I'll let you know.

@haidut would you say this is the strongest anti-cortisol of your products?

70. Nope, not the strongest. I think Lapodin, Progestene, Cyproheptadine and Diamant would be up there.
    Thanks for the feedback though! Some people reported nootropic effect. Let me know if you notice improved memory, cognition and creativity.

71. Most definitely. "Calmer, clearer headed, more energy" are partly my way of experiencing nootropic effects. Creativity is pretty subjective, but I have found that I have renewed enthusiasm for my work and am trying to solve problems that weren't stimulating me to act before.

72. Subject got a bad concussion one year ago and still has post concussion symptoms, so thought this product was made for him.

Took 5 drops around eye and temple, and 4 drops orally. Noticed what seemed to be a lifting of brain fog within 12 minutes. Temperature went up .4 degrees, and felt slightly sleepy off and on. Also there was a cessation of anger and racing thoughts, felt more connected to his environment. He had second thoughts of his recent visual art expressions of hatred and thought they might be hurtful. This is not normal.

Subject has been writing reviews for Idealabs products for the past half hour, and has now been on substance for over an hour. Seems to have good focus, writing product reviews normally isn't a common activity for subject, lol.

73. Good for you!

I will caution that 9 drops is a large dose. Just alerting you to keep awareness of side effects. I have no clue if its too large or not.

It definitely has a mild sedative effect for me too. Not in a "knock you out" kind of way. Just in a "I'm ready to go to bed and sleep nicely for 8 hours" kind of way. I'm finding that taking once/day (bedtime) is just fine for me with no noticeable curtailment of benefits 23.5 hrs later.

74. @managing @aarfai @Spokey Are your rats taking it orally or transdermally? if taken both ways, have they preferred one over the other?

75. My rat trial is over but when used it was <5 mg orally

76. Transdermal. Contrary to @aarfai I would say it has significantly enhanced my sleep.

I am now on 4 drops. I can't tell whether I like 4 better than 3 yet. Only weird thing I've seen is shortly after applying to my forearms, I'll get tingling and a muscle spasm somewhere on that arm. It only last for a few minutes.

77. Is there anything about Lanosterol that would enhance thyroid production? Since I started applying, I've been getting an "overstimulated" feeling from Thyroid (Tyromix) sometimes.

78. It is an uncoupler of metabolism, as mentioned in the original thread. Thyroid is also an uncoupler. So, combined they may have even stronger effects and raise pulse, temp to an uncomfortable level. So, maybe best to use separately or use lower doses when used together. The latter should be a good thing as bottles would last longer and risk of side effects is lower with smaller doses.

79. any risk of so called dopamine dependency from this?

80. Not really, at least not in the studies I have seen. Some other steroids like T, progesterone, DHT, androsterone, and even DHEA have dopaminergic effects and I have not seen any reports of them causing dopamine dependence.

81. I really like this product. I seem to notice a boost in mood and focus from this, even when nothing else works. Has anyone tried putting a drop of this around a subjects eyes for cataracts, such as a dog?

82. am i right in thinking this wouldnt be a good idea for someone with already very high cholesterol levels?

83. In the concentrations used in the studies, corresponding to 5mg-15mg daily for a human, I don't think it would be a concern. A person typically ingests tens of times more cholesterol through their diet. Also, given that lanosterol is uncoupler and increases metaboism, it may help with the cholesterol rather than hurt.

84. I guess could this product be bebeficial for paresis facialis (facial nerve paralysis) recovery in rats???

85. Possibly, especially if combined with progesterone.

86. Poor old ratty doesn't respond well to this.

One nights solid sleep upon first dose with a sharp uptick of sexual desire then second night something slightly off and beginning to feel rough around the edges, followed on day 3 by increasing anxiety until dosing stopped.

Have tried reducing dosing after wash out with same results. Will try 1 drop when feeling brave and when it's alright to not function properly.

87. I think you should just not take it. I'm saying this because I used that approach with 5a-DHP with disastrous results. Playing with the dose to get a desired effect won't work and will likely make things worse, especially if it builds up. If it's not for you, its not for you.

88. This is not consistent with my experience as dose is context dependent. It looks like Rad had a stress response from increase in metabolism caused by Lanosterol.

89. I also had negative experiences 5a-DHP, and also with androsterone.