Lejeboca

[Decrease of mortality in the rat after administration of lanosterol during an epidemic bronchopulmonary infection]. - PubMed - NCBI

I saw the actual text in the same link that @aguilaroja posted :

The paper says that the specific cause of infection wasn't identified. Various bacteria were present such as Citrobacter, Diplococcis pneumoniae, pseudo-tuberculosis, and possibly Nelson virus. In the 2nd---same methods as 1st but larger number of animals---experiment, there were 3 groups of treated rats that received orally either 15mg, 30mg or 60mg of lanosterol deluted in 1ml of Labrafil feed (the same feed as control). Out of 65 animals in each of 3 treated groups, 27, 34, 24 died, respectively, while 49 out of 66 died in controls.
In addition, those that died in the treated groups, lived longer, on average, than those in controls.

daphne134

Has anyone used this on their eyes topically or on their pets? My dog sure could use this but the options on amazon are insanely overpriced.
I am putting it in my eyes. This is a bit nerve wracking, to maybe be the only person in existence doing this, but when I stop I really miss it. It enables me to read small print which I cannot read otherwise. It also gives me all day eye comfort. No irritation. And it helps with double vision on the computer. I have tried numerous drops and washes and while some have other benefits, the three benefits mentioned are unique to this lanosterol for me. I did order a new propilis drop arriving Monday which may have a similar effect? Because it's also a "waxy" substance? I have been trying to find any information on what effect lanosterol may have on the corneas since that is presumably where most of it stays. Anyone think I shouldn't do this despite very noticeable benefits?

Last edited:
I am putting it in my eyes. This is a bit nerve wracking, to maybe be the only person in existence doing this, but when I stop I really miss it. It enables me to read small print which I cannot read otherwise. It also gives me all day eye comfort. No irritation. And it helps with double vision on the computer. I have tried numerous drops and washes and while some have other benefits, the three benefits mentioned are unique to this lanosterol for me. I did order a new propilis drop arriving Monday which may have a similar effect? Because it's also a "waxy" substance? I have been trying to find any information on what effect lanosterol may have on the corneas since that is presumably where most of it stays. Anyone think I shouldn't do this despite very noticeable benefits?

I would do it, there are very positive data on it.

daphne134

I would do it, there are very positive data on it.
Yes I was doing Lanomax but that may have messed up the corneas due to this inactive ingredient: 2-Hydroxypropyl-β-cyclodextrin 4. Someone I know coincidentally mentioned that's a vax ingredient and my eyes had been getting dry and not improving.

The pure lanosterol probably won't reach the lenses but has those other benefits.
Still wish I had more studies but I did see one on coconut oil being a good rewetting drop for rabbits.

daphne134

Yes I was doing Lanomax but that may have messed up the corneas due to this inactive ingredient: 2-Hydroxypropyl-β-cyclodextrin 4. Someone I know coincidentally mentioned that's a vax ingredient and my eyes had been getting dry and not improving.

The pure lanosterol probably won't reach the lenses but has those other benefits.
Still wish I had more studies but I did see one on coconut oil being a good rewetting drop for rabbits.
Hello,
New update. I do not suggest putting it in the eye. My vision has taken a turn for the worse and while in process of getting diagnosed,
I am afraid the oil carrier may have done some damage.

daphne134

I feel like I accidentally highjacked the thread (sorry @haidut). Turns out my corneas are fine! Which is slightly shocking given how much I've abused them in the past by overwearing contact lenses etc. Still have those pesky cataracts but this is not the worst news I could have gotten. So this and the other myriad things I've been throwing in my eyes don't seem to have done harm but didn't fix the problem. Looking at surgery except maybe one more "hail Mary" to see if I have autoimune while I'm waiting for surgery. Will post about that separately.

Inaut

I feel like I accidentally highjacked the thread (sorry @haidut). Turns out my corneas are fine! Which is slightly shocking given how much I've abused them in the past by overwearing contact lenses etc. Still have those pesky cataracts but this is not the worst news I could have gotten. So this and the other myriad things I've been throwing in my eyes don't seem to have done harm but didn't fix the problem. Looking at surgery except maybe one more "hail Mary" to see if I have autoimune while I'm waiting for surgery. Will post about that separately.
castor oil drops may help with cataracts. if you still are interested in putting stuff in your eyes :d

daphne134

castor oil drops may help with cataracts. if you still are interested in putting stuff in your eyes :d
castor oil drops may help with cataracts. if you still are interested in putting stuff in your eyes
So I can say now with near certainty I have familial hypercholesterolemia, That's high cholesterol due to not metabolizing cholesterol due to a missing enzyme. So it builds up around the body.

No one is more surprised to hear me say this than myself, a former WAPF'er. However there are many clues, and it's all adding up now. This is the article that clued me in. (Found due to seeing a new ophthalmologist who gave me more information that indirectly led me to it.)
CTX Signs & Symptoms | Early cataracts in both eyes

I have also learned that cataracts is not one disease, it's many diseases. Lanosterol may work for some, not for others. Since eating low cholesterol I'm feeling much better, Genetics may be why it and Lanomax didn't help my condition. I'm not sure if the MCT carrier oils are compatible with the eye generally but I've learned I have a specific incompatibility.

Have used castor oil drops in the eyes, The Ayurvedic company that was making them went out of business unfortunately. Now that I know my specific problem (cholesterol metabolism) I was just about to do a castor oil pack on my eyelids.

Last edited:

rothko

Has anyone used this around their eyes? Dosing 2-4 drops. Also wondering if this would/could generally help reverse near-sightedness or is it just cataracts ? Thoughts?

Has anyone used this around their eyes? Dosing 2-4 drops. Also wondering if this would/could generally help reverse near-sightedness or is it just cataracts ? Thoughts?
Im wondering this too. I would love to regain 20/20 vision

Lejeboca

I use 1 drop under each eye. Makes my eyes less tired after a day of computer work, and the vision is sharper. Didn't do quantitative measurements in the vision improvement though.

Andrea Lucia

I guess most people on the forum who have heard of lanosterol know it in the context of treating cataracts.
Lanosterol - Wikipedia

There is a company out there who used to sell lanosterol as eye drops and it is insanely expensive - $100 for a meager 10mg lanosterol.
Anyways, lanosterol is actually a very interesting molecule in its own right and its benefits go way beyond eye health, even though the mechanism of action for cataracts suggests where else it may be beneficial. The primary effect of lanosterol are related to reversing protein aggregation in the eyes and in brain (ALS, Alzheimer, Huntington, CTE, TBI), protecting dopamiergic neurons (Parkinson), inhibiting cortisol synthesis, uncoupling metabolism, protecting from viral (flu) and bacterial (tetanus) infections, anti-endotoxin (TLR4), and has been studied as a cancer prevention chemical. There is some preliminary research that lanosterol may retard and even reverse lipofuscin accumulation but the evidence on that is still very sparse. Most of the studies found that the optimal concentration of lanosterol is in the range 5uM - 10uM for most experiments, except for Huntington disease where 1uM was enough.
If the protein aggregation in the brain can indeed be reversed then lanosterol can be very interesting for the NFL community, military and other professions where TBI/CTE is common.
So, in light of these interesting properties of lanosterol I decided to release it as a supplement.

The units listed on the label are just for measurement purposes. They do not indicate suggested or optimal dose. Please note that similar to the products sold by companies like BluePeptides, this product is for lab/research use only. The product can be ordered from the link below:
www.idealabsdc.com/lab

Lanosterol is the primary precursor of cholesterol (and thus steroids) of animals and fungi. It has been shown to possess a number of beneficial health effects including reversing protein aggregation in neurodegenerative diseases, pro-metabolic (uncoupler), anti-inflammatory, anti-endotoxin, anti-glucocorticoid, anti-viral, anti-mutagenic, antimicrobial, anti-cancer, anxiolytic, antidepressant, and generally anti-aging.

Drops per container: about 240
Each drop contains the following ingredients:

Lanosterol: 1mg

Other ingredients: add product to shopping cart to see info

References:

Neurodegenerative conditions
Lanosterol Suppresses the Aggregation and Cytotoxicity of Misfolded Proteins Linked with Neurodegenerative Diseases. - PubMed - NCBI
"...Accumulation of misfolded or aberrant proteins in neuronal cells is linked with neurodegeneration and other pathologies. Which molecular mechanisms fail and cause inappropriate folding of proteins and what is their relationship to cellular toxicity is not well known. How does it happen and what are the probable therapeutic or molecular approaches to counter them are also not clear. Here, we demonstrate that treatment of lanosterol diminishes aberrant proteotoxic aggregation and mitigates their cytotoxicity via induced expression of co-chaperone CHIP and elevated autophagy. The addition of lanosterol not only reduces aggregation of mutant bonafide misfolded proteins but also effectively prevents accumulation of various mutant disease-prone proteotoxic proteins. Finally, we observed that lanosterol mitigates cytotoxicity in cells, mediated by different stress-inducing agents. Taken together, our present results suggest that upregulation of cellular molecular chaperones, primarily using small molecules, can probably offer an efficient therapeutic approach in the future against misfolding of different disease-causing proteins and neurodegenerative disorders."

CYP46A1, the rate-limiting enzyme for cholesterol degradation, is neuroprotective in Huntington's disease. - PubMed - NCBI
Lanosterol induces mitochondrial uncoupling and protects dopaminergic neurons from cell death in a model for Parkinson's disease. - PubMed - NCBI

Eye health
Lanosterol reverses protein aggregation in cataracts. - PubMed - NCBI

Anti-glucocorticoid (11b-HSD1 inhibitor)
Endogenous inhibitors of 11 beta-OHSD: existence and possible significance. - PubMed - NCBI

Endotoxin protection
Lanosterol Modulates TLR4-Mediated Innate Immune Responses in Macrophages. - PubMed - NCBI

Fertility
Effect of lanosterol on the in vitro maturation in semi-defined culture system of prepubertal ewe oocytes. - PubMed - NCBI
Lanosterol influences cytoplasmic maturation of pig oocytes in vitro and improves preimplantation development of cloned embryos. - PubMed - NCBI
Effects of lanosterol on in vitro maturation of porcine oocytes. - PubMed - NCBI
Lanosterol metabolic product(s) is involved in primordial folliculogenesis and establishment of primordial follicle pool in mouse fetal ovary. - PubMed - NCBI

Metabolism/uncoupling
Lanosterol induces mitochondrial uncoupling and protects dopaminergic neurons from cell death in a model for Parkinson's disease. - PubMed - NCBI
"...As expected, treatment of neurons with 200 nM m-chlorophenylhydrazone (CCCP), a known uncoupler of oxidative phosphorylation, induced an immediate and sharp reduction of the mitochondrial membrane potential (∼25% within 30 s; Figure 6a). Under these same experimental conditions, exogenous addition of lanosterol reduced the membrane potential by ∼20% over 15 min, whereas PC and cholesterol had no significant effect (Figure 6b)."

Antimicrobial, antiparasitic, antiviral
Influenza viral membrane fusion is sensitive to sterol concentration but surprisingly robust to sterol chemical identity. - PubMed - NCBI
[Effect of the administration of lanosterol on the rat exposed to an injection of tetanus toxin]. - PubMed - NCBI
[Attenuation of the effects of tetanus toxin in mice after absorption of lanosterol]. - PubMed - NCBI
[Decrease of mortality in the rat after administration of lanosterol during an epidemic bronchopulmonary infection]. - PubMed - NCBI

Anti-proliferative
Influence of lanosterol and chicken embryonal extract upon the course of 3,4-benzpyrene induced skin carcinogenesis in mice. - PubMed - NCBI
Chemopreventive effect of farnesol and lanosterol on colon carcinogenesis. - PubMed - NCBI

Pro-dopamine
I realize this is an old post and your not making this product anymore, but I do have a question regarding expiration dates. If we still have the product after the expire. date is it still safe and effective? If so, what is the best way to dose this?

A.R

I don't understand why this or something similar isn't widespread for treating cataracts when the animal studies showed cataracts completely dissolving. I know animals & humans are different but it seems like a cataract would be pretty similar in both. My eye doctor freaked me out last week saying I had cataracts at age 48 (he said I had a slight glaze & it was normal for my age............I asked various people my age if they had cataracts & apparently it's not normal because everyone said no).

They tested their lanosterol-based eye drops in three types of experiments. They worked with human lens in the lab and saw a decrease in cataract size. They then tested the effects on rabbits, and according to Hanae Armitage at Science Mag, after six days, all but two of their 13 patients had gone from having severe cataracts to mild cataracts or no cataracts at all. Finally, they tested the eye drops on dogs with naturally occurring cataracts. Just like the human lens in the lab and the rabbits, the dogs responded positively to the drug, with severe cataracts shrinking away to nothing, or almost nothing.
Did you try lanosterol to help?
I'm thinking of trying Lanosterol for intermediary uveitis in both eyes with floaters in the central filed and reduced vision of 25-30% (it used to be 75-80% before the prednisone treatment 3 years ago). As the uveitis is in the back of the eye, causing blood vessels to leak plasma and form floaters, I'm looking for the best protocol to use it. Would it be best if it is applied topically round the eyes and how many drops?
@haidut and anyone with enough experience and knowledge
How did your experience go?

How do you convert um to mg?

cs3000

How do you convert um to mg?
u can google to find the molecular weight of the thing (grams per mole)

then micro mole so divide by 1000 to get grams per milimole, 1000 again would be per micromole, then * 1000 for mg equivalent per micromole
or just skip the last 2 steps

but if trying to find out blood concentration equivalent its different, have to find out what the blood level is in a human pharmacokinetics study with the amount they dose in the study. to see how close it is to molar concentration in ml of liquid for cell study equivalent (sort of)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom