haidut

Forum Supporter
I guess most people on the forum who have heard of lanosterol know it in the context of treating cataracts.
Lanosterol - Wikipedia

There is a company out there who used to sell lanosterol as eye drops and it is insanely expensive - $100 for a meager 10mg lanosterol.
Anyways, lanosterol is actually a very interesting molecule in its own right and its benefits go way beyond eye health, even though the mechanism of action for cataracts suggests where else it may be beneficial. The primary effect of lanosterol are related to reversing protein aggregation in the eyes and in brain (ALS, Alzheimer, Huntington, CTE, TBI), protecting dopamiergic neurons (Parkinson), inhibiting cortisol synthesis, uncoupling metabolism, protecting from viral (flu) and bacterial (tetanus) infections, anti-endotoxin (TLR4), and has been studied as a cancer prevention chemical. There is some preliminary research that lanosterol may retard and even reverse lipofuscin accumulation but the evidence on that is still very sparse. Most of the studies found that the optimal concentration of lanosterol is in the range 5uM - 10uM for most experiments, except for Huntington disease where 1uM was enough.
If the protein aggregation in the brain can indeed be reversed then lanosterol can be very interesting for the NFL community, military and other professions where TBI/CTE is common.
So, in light of these interesting properties of lanosterol I decided to release it as a supplement.

The units listed on the label are just for measurement purposes. They do not indicate suggested or optimal dose. Please note that similar to the products sold by companies like BluePeptides, this product is for lab/research use only. The product can be ordered from the link below:
www.idealabsdc.com/lab

Lanosterol is the primary precursor of cholesterol (and thus steroids) of animals and fungi. It has been shown to possess a number of beneficial health effects including reversing protein aggregation in neurodegenerative diseases, pro-metabolic (uncoupler), anti-inflammatory, anti-endotoxin, anti-glucocorticoid, anti-viral, anti-mutagenic, antimicrobial, anti-cancer, anxiolytic, antidepressant, and generally anti-aging.

Drops per container: about 240
Each drop contains the following ingredients:

Lanosterol: 1mg

Other ingredients: add product to shopping cart to see info

References:

Neurodegenerative conditions
Lanosterol Suppresses the Aggregation and Cytotoxicity of Misfolded Proteins Linked with Neurodegenerative Diseases. - PubMed - NCBI
"...Accumulation of misfolded or aberrant proteins in neuronal cells is linked with neurodegeneration and other pathologies. Which molecular mechanisms fail and cause inappropriate folding of proteins and what is their relationship to cellular toxicity is not well known. How does it happen and what are the probable therapeutic or molecular approaches to counter them are also not clear. Here, we demonstrate that treatment of lanosterol diminishes aberrant proteotoxic aggregation and mitigates their cytotoxicity via induced expression of co-chaperone CHIP and elevated autophagy. The addition of lanosterol not only reduces aggregation of mutant bonafide misfolded proteins but also effectively prevents accumulation of various mutant disease-prone proteotoxic proteins. Finally, we observed that lanosterol mitigates cytotoxicity in cells, mediated by different stress-inducing agents. Taken together, our present results suggest that upregulation of cellular molecular chaperones, primarily using small molecules, can probably offer an efficient therapeutic approach in the future against misfolding of different disease-causing proteins and neurodegenerative disorders."

CYP46A1, the rate-limiting enzyme for cholesterol degradation, is neuroprotective in Huntington's disease. - PubMed - NCBI
Lanosterol induces mitochondrial uncoupling and protects dopaminergic neurons from cell death in a model for Parkinson's disease. - PubMed - NCBI

Eye health
Lanosterol reverses protein aggregation in cataracts. - PubMed - NCBI

Anti-glucocorticoid (11b-HSD1 inhibitor)
Endogenous inhibitors of 11 beta-OHSD: existence and possible significance. - PubMed - NCBI

Endotoxin protection
Lanosterol Modulates TLR4-Mediated Innate Immune Responses in Macrophages. - PubMed - NCBI

Fertility
Effect of lanosterol on the in vitro maturation in semi-defined culture system of prepubertal ewe oocytes. - PubMed - NCBI
Lanosterol influences cytoplasmic maturation of pig oocytes in vitro and improves preimplantation development of cloned embryos. - PubMed - NCBI
Effects of lanosterol on in vitro maturation of porcine oocytes. - PubMed - NCBI
Lanosterol metabolic product(s) is involved in primordial folliculogenesis and establishment of primordial follicle pool in mouse fetal ovary. - PubMed - NCBI

Metabolism/uncoupling
Lanosterol induces mitochondrial uncoupling and protects dopaminergic neurons from cell death in a model for Parkinson's disease. - PubMed - NCBI
"...As expected, treatment of neurons with 200 nM m-chlorophenylhydrazone (CCCP), a known uncoupler of oxidative phosphorylation, induced an immediate and sharp reduction of the mitochondrial membrane potential (∼25% within 30 s; Figure 6a). Under these same experimental conditions, exogenous addition of lanosterol reduced the membrane potential by ∼20% over 15 min, whereas PC and cholesterol had no significant effect (Figure 6b)."

Antimicrobial, antiparasitic, antiviral
Influenza viral membrane fusion is sensitive to sterol concentration but surprisingly robust to sterol chemical identity. - PubMed - NCBI
[Effect of the administration of lanosterol on the rat exposed to an injection of tetanus toxin]. - PubMed - NCBI
[Attenuation of the effects of tetanus toxin in mice after absorption of lanosterol]. - PubMed - NCBI
[Decrease of mortality in the rat after administration of lanosterol during an epidemic bronchopulmonary infection]. - PubMed - NCBI

Anti-proliferative
Influence of lanosterol and chicken embryonal extract upon the course of 3,4-benzpyrene induced skin carcinogenesis in mice. - PubMed - NCBI
Chemopreventive effect of farnesol and lanosterol on colon carcinogenesis. - PubMed - NCBI

Pro-dopamine

Last edited:

GAF

Dan W

I would've put good money on you calling this something like ShroomMax.

Do you have any info on the production? I doubt it's one of the junky manufacturing methods they mention in here, but I thought it's worth confirming.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
https://www.lanomax.com/lanomax.html

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072SBXYSJ

$99 at Amazon for one vial that will last 3 weeks but it takes at least 6 weeks to see results (according to the "Product Description")

Remember, its only available for use on Animals, not People. People require surgery.

Scientists Have Developed an Eye Drop That Can Dissolve Cataracts

haidut,

Will the "tocopherols, MCT" irritate the Great Ratsky's eyeballs?

Thanks,

GAF

That product on Amazon is 10mg TOTAL lanosterol per bottle for $99. Our product is 240mg for $35 :):
I don't know if it can be used as eye drops when dissolved in tocopherol. Somebody should probably ask Peat.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I would've put good money on you calling this something like ShroomMax.

Do you have any info on the production? I doubt it's one of the junky manufacturing methods they mention in here, but I thought it's worth confirming.

That study talks about how to separate lanosterol from dihydrolanosterol using a lower purity lanosterol product (50% - 60% purity) as source. Ours is 99% purity and the vendor claims it is synthesized from cholesterol (not extracted from shrooms) so the method you cite is not involved.

miki14

Is exogenous lanosterol a micronutrient? - PubMed

Lanosterol, a precursor of cholesterol, is ingested with human diet and occurs in the body in concentrations exceeding solubility. Flesh of immature animals is a common source of dietary lanosterol, which may form with cholestanol and water an insoluble adjunct, CL-2W. As the latter may contribute to various disorders, exogenous lanosterol should be avoided by diet adjustment.

:( Bummer

shepherdgirl

Oh, this is great!!! Thank you so much - this seems especially promising, about time more research is done!
Any difference in the effectiveness of topical v oral dosing in rats?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Is exogenous lanosterol a micronutrient? - PubMed

Lanosterol, a precursor of cholesterol, is ingested with human diet and occurs in the body in concentrations exceeding solubility. Flesh of immature animals is a common source of dietary lanosterol, which may form with cholestanol and water an insoluble adjunct, CL-2W. As the latter may contribute to various disorders, exogenous lanosterol should be avoided by diet adjustment.

:( Bummer

This is just a proposed possible problem. The actual tests with lanosterol on living organisms have not revealed problems so far, quite the opposite actually. But something to keep in mind.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Oh, this is great!!! Thank you so much - this seems especially promising, about time more research is done!
Any difference in the effectiveness of topical v oral dosing in rats?

I feel about the same using it either way. It makes me warm and somewhat sleepy.

Badger

That article title, "Scientists Have Developed an Eye Drop That Can Dissolve Cataracts," triggers a vague memory in me. When it first came out in 2015 or so, I think there were articles I saw back then that said this substance will be vigorously opposed by eye surgeons, because those with cataracts won't need surgery when using this stuff. Big bucks in cataract surgery and this would be a big market disruptor of that market, methinks.

https://www.lanomax.com/lanomax.html

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072SBXYSJ

$99 at Amazon for one vial that will last 3 weeks but it takes at least 6 weeks to see results (according to the "Product Description")

Remember, its only available for use on Animals, not People. People require surgery.

Scientists Have Developed an Eye Drop That Can Dissolve Cataracts

haidut,

Will the "tocopherols, MCT" irritate the Great Ratsky's eyeballs?

Thanks,

GAF

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
This is Yuuuuuuge! :D

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
That article title, "Scientists Have Developed an Eye Drop That Can Dissolve Cataracts," triggers a vague memory in me. When it first came out in 2015 or so, I think there were articles I saw back then that said this substance will be vigorously opposed by eye surgeons, because those with cataracts won't need surgery when using this stuff. Big bucks in cataract surgery and this would be a big market disruptor of that market, methinks.

Let's see if I start getting angry emails from eye surgeons :):

Badger

Let's see if I start getting angry emails from eye surgeons :):
I hope you don't, but does not hurt to prepare. If this gets out to normie world, you may become a very well-off man, haidut. :): Couldn't happen to better fellow, you deserve it!!

miki14

This is just a proposed possible problem. The actual tests with lanosterol on living organisms have not revealed problems so far, quite the opposite actually. But something to keep in mind.

As cholestanol appears mostly in the gut, oral intake of lanosterol might be risky.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
As cholestanol appears mostly in the gut, oral intake of lanosterol might be risky.

Why would it be risky? Cholestanol does not seem to have a role in humans, it is just a metabolic byproduct of cholesterol in the gut. In fact, it is used as a biomarker of fecal contamination.
The study above hinting at its risk is inaccessible but I can't find anything that shows cholestanol is something we need. In fact, cholestanol itself may be dangerous as it has a role in xanthomas and gallstone formation, so binding it maybe reduce those risks or even reverse the pathology.
Mechanism of Accumulation of Cholesterol and Cholestanol in Tendons and the Role of Sterol 27-hydroxylase (CYP27A1) | Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology
http://www.drturumin.com/ToDownload/020115_05_en.pdf

mirc12354

Have you tried this product yourself? What were the effects you noticed? How much were you taking?

Back
Top Bottom