Snowdrop

After my mum read that lanosterol was used to dissolve cataracts, she decided to trial TocoVit in her eye, due to the presence of lanosterol.

Her eye was progressively getting worse, however once starting the TocoVit the deterioration halted.

She had to stop due to irritation.

The result would be interesting in regards to cataracts, especially considering the outcome my mum had using the tiny amount of lanosterol in TocoVit.

Or perhaps it was just the E that helped!?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Have you tried this product yourself? What were the effects you noticed? How much were you taking?

When I was testing it I was using 20mg as a single dose before bed. It makes me relaxed and sleepy similar to progesterone and it also raises temps noticeably in that dose. However, most of the studies on reversing protein aggregation used concentrations achievable with 5mg - 15mg dose.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
After my mum read that lanosterol was used to dissolve cataracts, she decided to trial TocoVit in her eye, due to the presence of lanosterol.

Her eye was progressively getting worse, however once starting the TocoVit the deterioration halted.

She had to stop due to irritation.

The result would be interesting in regards to cataracts, especially considering the outcome my mum had using the tiny amount of lanosterol in TocoVit.

Or perhaps it was just the E that helped!?

It is hard to say what helped, but I a glad it helped. The amount of lanosterol in TocoVit is not that much, probably 1mg/ml (20 drops). So, for reversing protein aggregation in the brain separate lanosterol in higher doses would be needed.

aguilaroja

...Her eye was progressively getting worse, however once starting the TocoVit the deterioration halted.
...She had to stop due to irritation.
...The result would be interesting in regards to cataracts, especially considering the outcome my mum had using the tiny amount of lanosterol in TocoVit...

If still relevant, it might be a fruitful experiment to apply TocoVit (or lanesterol) topically near the eye (for instance, on the face below the lower lid), since application in the eye caused irritation. It is possible that topical absorption regionally may give some supply to the intended area.

Topical application of vitamins, for example, sometimes relieves areas several cm/inches from the surface, IME.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
If still relevant, it might be a fruitful experiment to apply TocoVit (or lanesterol) topically near the eye (for instance, on the face below the lower lid), since application in the eye caused irritation.
Excellent suggestion.

aguilaroja

I had a look at the 1966 study about the protective effect of lanosterol for tetanus toxin exposure, by Aubert and co-authors. It can be found here:

Comptes rendus hebdomadaires des séances de l'Académie des sciences. Série D, Sciences naturelles

Keep in mind that tetanus toxin can be life threatening. In humans, extreme cases get full ICU support to survive. The Aubert study used different concentrations of toxin. A large portion of the mouse animal subjects survived at the lower tetanus toxin concentrations. The lanosterol dose was given through feeding tube, at 5 mg per day. An approximate human equivalent might be in the 300 mg per day range.

(Respectfully, I am not suggesting that the new product be used in large quantities for medical emergencies, only noting relative research quantities. The Aubert research only used one lanosterol dose size, in small animals.)

I do not know of clearly related follow-up studies. It is a half century old research strand. It suggests a strongly protective action for lanosterol to a potent neurotoxin. Hopefully, more studies of lanosterol action will emerge.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I had a look at the 1966 study about the protective effect of lanosterol for tetanus toxin exposure, by Aubert and co-authors. It can be found here:

Comptes rendus hebdomadaires des séances de l'Académie des sciences. Série D, Sciences naturelles

Keep in mind that tetanus toxin can be life threatening. In humans, extreme cases get full ICU support to survive. The Aubert study used different concentrations of toxin. A large portion of the mouse animal subjects survived at the lower tetanus toxin concentrations. The lanosterol dose was given through feeding tube, at 5 mg per day. An approximate human equivalent might be in the 300 mg per day range.

(Respectfully, I am not suggesting that the new product be used in large quantities for medical emergencies, only noting relative research quantities. The Aubert research only used one lanosterol dose size, in small animals.)

I do not know of clearly related follow-up studies. It is a half century old research strand. It suggests a strongly protective action for lanosterol to a potent neurotoxin. Hopefully, more studies of lanosterol action will emerge.

Wow, thanks so much for this! I wanted so much to read these studies but PubMed only had the titles and not even an abstract. What was the method of administration (- oral, IP, s.c., etc) and for how long?

aguilaroja

The research report is condensed. As best I can tell, in groups with significant results, the lanesterol daily feeding was started BEFORE the toxin exposure, 23 to 39 days before depending on the group. It continued each day of the trial. Lanosterol was delivered by gastric tube in solution, rather than orally in feed or IP.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
The research report is condensed. As best I can tell, in groups with significant results, the lanesterol daily feeding was started BEFORE the toxin exposure, 23 to 39 days before depending on the group. It continued each day of the trial. Lanosterol was delivered by gastric tube in solution, rather than orally in feed or IP.

Great, thanks!

managing

The Abstract of this study:

Anti-glucocorticoid (11b-HSD1 inhibitor)
Endogenous inhibitors of 11 beta-OHSD: existence and possible significance. - PubMed - NCBI

Doesn't specify whether lanosterol is an 11b-HSD1 or HSD2 inhibitor. If HSD1 it would limit the conversion of cortisone to cortisol. But if HSD2, it would inhibit the conversion of cortisone to cortisol.

Is this specification something you gathered from the body of the study or some other means?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
The Abstract of this study:

Anti-glucocorticoid (11b-HSD1 inhibitor)
Endogenous inhibitors of 11 beta-OHSD: existence and possible significance. - PubMed - NCBI

Doesn't specify whether lanosterol is an 11b-HSD1 or HSD2 inhibitor. If HSD1 it would limit the conversion of cortisone to cortisol. But if HSD2, it would inhibit the conversion of cortisone to cortisol.

Is this specification something you gathered from the body of the study or some other means?

It does both, but with much higher preference for inhibiting the reductive form of the enzyme (11b-HSD1) than the oxidative. So, as long as it is used in doses less than 100mg daily the 11b-HSD2 inhbition should not be an issue.
From the study: "...reductive activity is more effectively inhibited by cholesterol and lanosterol than oxidative activity, in contrast with all other inhibitors examined so far. "
Btw, 11b-HSD2 inhbition is only problematic if cortisol levels are already high - i.e. no way to deactivate the cortisol. But if 11b-HSD1 is inhibited first then there would be not much cortisol to deactivate to start with.

sladerunner69

Another comprehensively dabble-worthy production from the first and last name in Idealabs Supplements, the only brand I know and and trust.

Would this be useful in a fatloss stackation?

managing

It does both, but with much higher preference for inhibiting the reductive form of the enzyme (11b-HSD1) than the oxidative. So, as long as it is used in doses less than 100mg daily the 11b-HSD2 inhbition should not be an issue.
From the study: "...reductive activity is more effectively inhibited by cholesterol and lanosterol than oxidative activity, in contrast with all other inhibitors examined so far. "
Btw, 11b-HSD2 inhbition is only problematic if cortisol levels are already high - i.e. no way to deactivate the cortisol. But if 11b-HSD1 is inhibited first then there would be not much cortisol to deactivate to start with.
Great explanation. Thanks @haidut .

BTW, you clearly figured out what I meant, but in case anybody was confused by my question, the last sentence was meant to say "But if HSD2, it would inhibit the conversion of cortisol to cortisone."

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Great explanation. Thanks @haidut .

BTW, you clearly figured out what I meant, but in case anybody was confused by my question, the last sentence was meant to say "But if HSD2, it would inhibit the conversion of cortisol to cortisone."

I got you, no worries, but thanks for the clarification anyways :): You never know who is reading this.

dand

My rats played college football so might have some CTE though rats have always felt like they do not have any brain damage from the sport. Tried 5 drops orally today and it seems to have given some dopaminergic tone. Pretty happy and care free. Kind of reminds me of diamant. Will try a larger dose in the evening before bed, but so far so good!

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
My rats played college football so might have some CTE though rats have always felt like they do not have any brain damage from the sport. Tried 5 drops orally today and it seems to have given some dopaminergic tone. Pretty happy and care free. Kind of reminds me of diamant. Will try a larger dose in the evening before bed, but so far so good!

Great, thanks Dan! Any change in temps / pulse?

dand

I'm pretty underfed at the moment, but definitely noticed it boosted metabolism, because I had an immediate crave/need for sugar :).

aarfai

Yesterday I took 5 mg of lanosterol in the afternoon with some cascara, 5 mg DHEA, 3 mg progesterone (all cortisol lowering or blocking agents). Had a good workout, brightening of mood and lessening of brain fog throughout the rest of the day. However later in the had a strange adrenaline surge, similar to the reports of RU among users. Once before bed and again in the middle of sleep which woke me up promptly. I'm not sure what this would mean? Whether it is good or bad who knows... But the users of the PFS thread I believe say it is a sign of things working in the right direction...

I otherwise feel pretty great today granted the minimal sleep with no lanosterol today.

Maybe I should try a lower dose?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Yesterday I took 5 mg of lanosterol in the afternoon with some cascara, 5 mg DHEA, 3 mg progesterone (all cortisol lowering or blocking agents). Had a good workout, brightening of mood and lessening of brain fog throughout the rest of the day. However later in the had a strange adrenaline surge, similar to the reports of RU among users. Once before bed and again in the middle of sleep which woke me up promptly. I'm not sure what this would mean? Whether it is good or bad who knows... But the users of the PFS thread I believe say it is a sign of things working in the right direction...

I otherwise feel pretty great today granted the minimal sleep with no lanosterol today.

Maybe I should try a lower dose?

Possibly too high a dose but I would try on its own before drawing conclusions. The additional steroids could skew the results.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom