Lamotrigine Lowers Plasma Serotonin

DaveFoster

"Alteration of monoamine levels by some antiepileptic drugs (AEDs) was elucidated in this study. Lamotrigine (LTG) is a new AED, acting the sodium-channels. LTG was given as add-on therapy to 16 patients aged 4.5-18 yrs with intractable epilepsy and comedicated with carbamazepine or valproate. An equal group of epileptics with comparable clinical characteristics and treatment served as control. Plasma and urinary (24 h-samples) serotonin and 5-HIAA were determined before onset of LTG therapy and after 2-3 months. HPLC and electrochemical detection was used for the determination of serotonin (5-HT) and 5-hydroxy indoleacetic acid (5-HIAA). No significant effect of LTG on both urinary 5-HT and 5-HIAA levels was found, whereas plasma 5-HT concentrations significantly decreased in comparison with levels before LTG starting and relevant values in controls. This findings was noted in 7/16 children with favourable response to LTG. Increased serotonin catabolism may be result of LTG action."

Reference: Plasma and urinary serotonin and 5-HIAA in children treated with lamotrigine for intractable epilepsy. - PubMed - NCBI

Originally posted on the Foster Your Health blog: Lamotrigine Lowers Plasma Serotonin

bionicheart

Hey I see you've been posting a lot of positive posts on Lamotrigine lately...my doc just prescribed it to me to counteract the initial "racing thoughts, anxiety and irritability" I've been experiencing on 7.5mg of Mirtazapine, (my second try on it, I quit before because I couldn't drink on it and the weight gain, but I'm ready to do anything to get rid of my social/general anxiety now.) So it sounds like you're having good results?? my next step if this doesn't work is probably lithium, even though no one has ever diagnosed me with Bipolar, but I was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder a couple times in my "youth"--I'm 28 now. I'm also tapering off klonopin still... so I guess my question is, how are you feeling on lamotrigine versus being off it? How's your anxiety these days? what do you think has helped the most, other than progesterone?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals