Lamb?

Austin

I noticed lamb on Danny Roddy's version of Peat's diet, as well as a few other versions. If I'm eating beef, liver, oysters, sole, and bone broth, is lamb really needed? I don't prefer to eat it for ethical reasons.

Thanks,

J

j.

Probably having more variety would be main reason, since we restrict chicken and pork.

Ingenol

j. said:
Probably having more variety would be main reason, since we restrict chicken and pork.
Additionally--at least here in the US--you can find grass-fed lamb, whereas it's virtually impossible in many areas to find chicken and pork that haven't been fed at least a significant amount of grains, or worse.

OP
A

Austin

Okay, thanks for the replies guys. So to clarify, there are no extra vits/minerals in lamb that I need that aren't found in the meat I listed above?

J

j.

Austin said:
Okay, thanks for the replies guys. So to clarify, there are no extra vits/minerals in lamb that I need that aren't found in the meat I listed above?

I think that's right.

gabriel79

Lamb is just a good substitute to beef, with goat being the other one. In same places it will be better fed too and less fatty.

Primal2Peat

"Lamb" is usually a misnomer in the U.S.

You're not actually eating baby sheep. It's adult sheep, but the term "lamb" just sort of stuck here. It would be called "mutton" in Europe.

I'm not sure if that's your "ethical" problem with it, but just thought I would chime in with that.

gabriel79

Didn't know. In my country, lamb is lamb (usually less than 20kg a whole animal)

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I think after they are one year old they are called sheep. Under a year, lamb.

Jenn

Primal2Peat said:
"Lamb" is usually a misnomer in the U.S.

You're not actually eating baby sheep. It's adult sheep, but the term "lamb" just sort of stuck here. It would be called "mutton" in Europe.

I'm not sure if that's your "ethical" problem with it, but just thought I would chime in with that.

Yeah, you can certainly be eating baby sheep here in the US., baby goat too. Quite common (among those that eat goat ) to butcher bucklings at about 3-4 months of age or even younger. A two month old is like roasted chicken.

Lamb is more often than not grass-fed. So you can be more confident you're getting meat with a better fatty acid ratio. If you know your beef is grass-fed, that's obviously fine too

Missenger

They feed lamb grain too (I imagine you know that), I wouldn't buy it if you don't know what they're feeding it.

Beastmode

I eat lamb chops about once per month and it's a nice change in protein compared to the fish, meats, etc that I typically eat for lunch. Also, lamb shank makes a great source of gelatinous broth that's really good for obvious reasons.

They feed lamb grain too (I imagine you know that), I wouldn't buy it if you don't know what they're feeding it.
If you buy Australian lamb (most common lamb to buy in the US) you can be fairly confident it’s 100% grass fed. They let them graze all year in AUS

Only weak losers care about ethical reasons. I’m sorry, but I think everyone here can agree on that.

IROM

Only weak losers care about ethical reasons. I’m sorry, but I think everyone here can agree on that.
Anyone notice there is a serial killer on ray peat forum