Lady Marmalade

BobbyDukes

I used to eat the orange peel. It was a bit of a private, secretive thing I used to do, when eating lots of fruit. I enjoyed it, and found it refreshing. But I didn't do it in front of people.

Then I heard about it being potentially toxic, so I stopped it completely. Later, upon starting my diet around Peat's ideas, dairy became central, and I then had no tolerance to any fruits at all (other than strained OJ juice, in moderation).

I wasn't aware of Peat's views on the peel being beneficial like that. Are those anti-inflammatory compounds really still active after all that boiling, etc? I mean, I'm up for it. Home made marmalade? Yes please. I wonder what the nutritional quality of orange peel is? Maybe it is just a rich source of these anti-inflammatory compounds, only.

I just have an inkling that I might be allergic to citrus. I get **** off mouth ulcers, which sting like **** (the little ****ers). It only happens when I up my citrus intake (I only do organic oranges that I squeeze myself).

OP
Lightbringer

Lightbringer

I used to eat the orange peel. It was a bit of a private, secretive thing I used to do, when eating lots of fruit. I enjoyed it, and found it refreshing. But I didn't do it in front of people.

Then I heard about it being potentially toxic, so I stopped it completely. Later, upon starting my diet around Peat's ideas, dairy became central, and I then had no tolerance to any fruits at all (other than strained OJ juice, in moderation).

I wasn't aware of Peat's views on the peel being beneficial like that. Are those anti-inflammatory compounds really still active after all that boiling, etc? I mean, I'm up for it. Home made marmalade? Yes please. I wonder what the nutritional quality of orange peel is? Maybe it is just a rich source of these anti-inflammatory compounds, only.

I just have an inkling that I might be allergic to citrus. I get **** off mouth ulcers, which sting like **** (the little ****ers). It only happens when I up my citrus intake (I only do organic oranges that I squeeze myself).
As a kid, my mom always told me that the nutrients were closest to the skin of the fruit, looks like she was right :grin The benefits of the flavanoids (which are present in the peel) are well summarized here. The peel apparently has some calcium and vitamin-c as well.

I think the potential toxicity may be from pesticides ? Boiling eggshells and mushrooms doesn't seem to harm those food nutrients too much. I'm not sure how heat sensitive some of the important citrus flavanoids are.

lindsay

I tried making candied orange peel once (because it's delicious!), but it didn't work out so well. So I have a jar of orange marmalade that I bought in the refrigerator, but making it sounds quite easy and it's basically just stuff I would throw out anyhow. So great idea!! Plus, most jelly and marmalade recipes contain pectin - I bet you could throw in some relative during the process to make it even more nutrient dense.

P.S. I would suggest using organic oranges when eating the peel - due to pesticides.

BobbyDukes

As a kid, my mom always told me that the nutrients were closest to the skin of the fruit, looks like she was right :grin The benefits of the flavanoids (which are present in the peel) are well summarized here. The peel apparently has some calcium and vitamin-c as well.

I think the potential toxicity may be from pesticides ? Boiling eggshells and mushrooms doesn't seem to harm those food nutrients too much. I'm not sure how heat sensitive some of the important citrus flavanoids are.

Well..... I think that's super dooper! I absolutely HEART marmadlade. Now we just have to find that strawberries are healthy. Man, I love them big plump strawberries... MMMMMMMMMMmmmmmm! oh yeah. Juicy!

lindsay

I wonder if orange zest from organic oranges would be equally beneficial. No cooking needed !

I recall Ray Peat speaking in an interview about oranges and I think the peel in any form (so long as it's organic) is absolutely beneficial due to the naringenin compounds. That's why it is an estrogen lowering food. Mushrooms also have this compound, but I find mushrooms difficult to digest - even when cooked. So if you love orange peel, I would say go for it!

OP
Lightbringer

Lightbringer

Well..... I think that's super dooper! I absolutely HEART marmadlade. Now we just have to find that strawberries are healthy. Man, I love them big plump strawberries... MMMMMMMMMMmmmmmm! oh yeah. Juicy!
Strawberries are very nutritious! Some people may have allergies to some of the berries, but if you are not one of them , then dig right into that juicy plumpness..

tara

but making it sounds quite easy
If you want to able to store it on the shelf for months or years, you have to go through sterile bottling procedures. But if you are going to store in fridge and eat quickly, just boil with lots and lots of sugar. If you want it thick, you could add a little dissolved gelatin at the end.

P.S. I would suggest using organic oranges when eating the peel - due to pesticides.
Yeah.

I wonder if orange zest from organic oranges would be equally beneficial. No cooking needed !
Yum.
Strawberries are very nutritious! Some people may have allergies to some of the berries, but if you are not one of them , then dig right into that juicy plumpness..
And strawberry sauce/jam with cream or icecream ... :)

Excellent find! Organic oranges on my shopping list for tomorrow, and after Easter I'll be making marmalade. Sounds divine. Last week I made fig jam (high in calcium), and reminds me of the Fig Newtons I loved growing up.

Thanks Lightbringer! :smug:

Are the compounds heat-stable? And how do you enjoy eating enilconazole :ss

HDD

Are we sure Ray Peat would eat the peels as well? That recipe looks like candied orange peels, rather than marmalade. I wonder if they got it wrong :disrelieved:

This appears to be a direct quote from Peat-

When I get sour oranges I make marmalade from the peels, if they are organic. Shred, soak, cook slowly simmering in water for about an hour before adding sugar, and letting that simmer without boiling until it thickens a little. When it’s cool it thickens more. The peels are rich in antiinflammatory chemicals, more than the juice, and the marmalade is a good way to get sugar with the cottage cheese or parmesan.
naringenin: inhibiting inflammation with marmalade | The Nutrition Coach

@Such_Saturation I hope the organic orange growers would not be using enilconazole! I made the marmalade and have been eating it for breakfast for the last few weeks.

When I get sour oranges I make marmalade from the peels, if they are organic. Shred, soak, cook slowly simmering in water for about an hour before adding sugar, and letting that simmer without boiling until it thickens a little. When it’s cool it thickens more. The peels are rich in antiinflammatory chemicals, more than the juice, and the marmalade is a good way to get sugar with the cottage cheese or parmesan.

@Such_Saturation I hope the organic orange growers would not be using enilconazole! I made the marmalade and have been eating it for breakfast for the last few weeks.

I think if it goes mouldy in a couple days it should be fine...

What’s On My Food :: Imazalil in Oranges

Last edited:

I'm not denying that the chemicals are in the peels, lol, but I guess Ray Peat just gets them via the soaking in water, not eating the whole peels, that can be irritating as he, like me, has a very sensitive intestine

lindsay

I'm not denying that the chemicals are in the peels, lol, but I guess Ray Peat just gets them via the soaking in water, not eating the whole peels, that can be irritating as he, like me, has a very sensitive intestine

I made orange peel flour recently and determined it should not be eaten without being cooked! Definitely an irritant. That being said, I am wondering if making "bread" with it (really it would be more like an orange flour custard) would be enough cooking to make for easier digestion? Custard bakes for about 45 minutes, so that should be enough time to kill any bacteria, no? If nothing else, you can just boil the peel for a wonderful smelling kitchen :)

HDD

Hmm I don't know, I was under the impression that you eat the peels. The soaking and long simmering time is to soften the peels, if I recall correctly. I followed the recipe from Emma's site that was linked and also looked up other orange marmalade recipes and they don't mention removing the peels. I have not had any digestive issues from them but I only eat 1-2 tbsp at a time with cottage cheese. You may be right though about Peat not eating the peels.