Lady Marmalade

HDD

That doesn't mean Emma's got it right

Maybe not but here is what Emma said.

"* After asking Dr Peat for further clarification on his marmalade-making-methods, this is the recipe I pieced together:"

So it is her take from Peat. I would expect Peat to be more specific about removing the peels if it was an issue. Maybe in his experience it has not been a problem?

Ray seems to have a pretty sensitive intestine, like me, and I doubt he would eat orange peels. Also "marmalade" has a meaning, that recipe is candied orange peels, actually. Ray is sometimes obscure in his "clarifications" through emails, because he receives a lot of them, so Emma may just have assumed that the peels should be eaten, and then setting the recipe for everyone else.

tara

Hmm I don't know, I was under the impression that you eat the peels. The soaking and long simmering time is to soften the peels, if I recall correctly. I followed the recipe from Emma's site that was linked and also looked up other orange marmalade recipes and they don't mention removing the peels. I have not had any digestive issues from them but I only eat 1-2 tbsp at a time with cottage cheese. You may be right though about Peat not eating the peels.
Like you, I assume Peat was eating the peels if he doesn't say otherwise, and that the long cooking reduced the irritation that might arise from the fruit fibre etc. I've never heard of anyone eating marmalade without the peel. That's what marmalade is. You'd have to make a very sloppy brew to have anything left after taking out the peels.

I've made marmalade a few times. There are ways to make it sterile enough for bottling and storing for many months, but in my experience of not going through those procedures, it does indeed go mouldy after a week or two even stored in the fridge. I think the keys to getting it to keep longer term include getting a high enough concentration of sugar, as well as sterile jars and excluding oxygen.

Well I finally made my marmalade this week. Oh Em Gee is it delicious! And the complexities of flavors! My favorite part is the 'aftertaste' as it lingers on the tastebuds...very satisfying!

This has even coincided perfectly with my new 'fun' symptom of histamine. Vitamin C seems to be the #1 recommend nutrient to break it down in the body.

I've never heard of anyone eating marmalade without the peel. That's what marmalade is. You'd have to make a very sloppy brew to have anything left after taking out the peels

Exactly! Marmalade IS peels. I didn't feel it bothered my sensitive stomach at all. Probably in part due to all the sugar, and also in part because it is so well cooked. But I also believe it is actually healing for the gut lining. Limonene is, which comes from lemons. And this study, which @Lightbringer posted, seems to confirm it...

Int J Tissue React. 1983;5(4):415-20.
The gastric anti-ulcer activity of naringenin, a specific histidine decarboxylase inhibitor.
Parmar NS.
The gastric anti-ulcer activity of a specific histidine decarboxylase inhibitor naringenin, the aglycone of naringin, a naturally occurring flavanone glycoside obtained from kino and grapefruits, has been studied on the various types of ulcers experimentally induced in rats, viz., pylorus-ligated (Shay method) and restraint ulcers, and on the gastric mucosal damage induced by aspirin, phenylbutazone or reserpine. Naringenin possessed significant anti-ulcer activity in all these models, manifesting a dose-dependent anti-ulcer effect on the pylorus-ligated and restraint ulcers. However, the ED50 value against ulcers in the pylorus-ligated rats (132 mg/kg) was significantly greater than that against ulcers in the restraint rats (42 mg/kg). Amongst all the models used, naringenin was found most effective against the restraint rats. It is suggested that a mechanism involving the inhibition of formation and release of endogenous histamine in the gastric mucosa of rats is implicated in the protective effect of naringenin.

I love this study to! Eating marmalade makes you tan (and prevents cancer)! Lol!

Phytother Res. 2011 Apr;25(4):569-76. doi: 10.1002/ptr.3302. Epub 2010 Sep 20.
Hydrolysates of citrus plants stimulate melanogenesis protecting against UV-induced dermal damage.
Chiang HM, Lin JW, Hsiao PL, Tsai SY, Wen KC.
The sun-tanning process occurs as a spontaneous response to ultraviolet (UV) irradiation. UV will induce tanning and DNA damage, processes that can lead to photoaging and skin disorders such as hyperpigmentation and cancer. The pigment melanin protects skin from UV damage; therefore, an efficient melanin-promoting suntan lotion could be highly beneficial. In this study, a process was developed to increase the content of naringenin in citrus extracts and to determine whether a higher naringenin content of citrus would induce melanogenesis. Melanin content and tyrosinase expression in mouse B16 melanoma cells were assayed after treatment with citrus plant extracts and their hydrolysates. The results indicate that hydrolysis increased the naringenin content in citrus extracts and that citrus preparations stimulated cellular melanogenesis and tyrosinase expression. It is suggested that this method is applicable to the industrial production of melanin-promoting suntan lotions with antiphotocarcinogenic properties derived from citrus rind and citrus products.

There are ways to make it sterile enough for bottling and storing for many months, but in my experience of not going through those procedures, it does indeed go mouldy after a week or two even stored in the fridge.

Sad.:oops: I sure hope mine lasts longer than a week or two. Guess I'll have to eat it 3 times a day!

I'm also feeling a bit of a Brit now...enjoying my (green) tea and marmalade jam. Cheers! :p

tara

Sad.:oops: I sure hope mine lasts longer than a week or two. Guess I'll have to eat it 3 times a day!
If you've made more than you can eat in a week, how about dividing up the remainder and storing suitable portions in the freezer?

lindsay

So, I just made my first batch of homemade "marmalade" from a bunch of dried orange peels I've been saving - when you average eating an orange a day, those accumulate fast! I had to adapt the recipe, of course, because I needed to re-hydrate the orange peel.

That being said, we shall see how it goes! I emailed RP on Sunday and asked him about eating marmalade. I love the stuff and could eat it like candy - though my version was not so tasty as the organic stuff from WF's - it's a bit more bitter, but it was a first try. Will use less orange peel next time, but I tend to always think, if a little is a good thing, more is better, no? ;) Not so in this case.

Anyhow, RP had this to say about marmalade, "I think the marmalade question depends on the oranges—I can eat lots of certain types of candied peels, other kinds irritate my intestine with just a spoonful or two." So if it doesn't bother your intestine, eat as much as you like :) I found this one brand that I LOVE (Mediterranean Organic)!! Mixed in cottage cheese and it's amazing. The one I made is not so good, but it certainly is cheap to make and makes a ton!

honeybee

This was posted on Danny roddys fb so whoever posted thank you. This is the same recipe linked earlier in the thread.
I skipped the loooong stovetop cooking time and used a pressure cooker. Turned out great.
Ray Peat’s marmalade (my interpretation):

1. Get a 3kg bag of organic oranges (mine contained 14 large oranges).
  2. Halve them and juice them (save juice).
  3. Scoop out the remaining pulp with a spoon (dump pulp).
  4. Rinse them, then shred them finely in a food processor.
  5. Put in to a large bowl filled with water and leave to soak overnight in the fridge.
  6. Drain then transfer to a heavy based pot, cover them in clean water and simmer uncovered for 1.5 -2 hours, checking regularly and topping up with a little of the orange juice or water if water level starts to run too low.
  7. Add 3 cups of white sugar, stir, and keep simmering gently (not boiling), for another 4 hours (or more, until peel is very tender), continuing to check regularly if more fluid is needed.
  8. When the peel is soft enough and the liquid has thickened slightly, turn off the stove and allow to cool down before refrigerating.
Note: you can sterilise jars and preserve it (if you’re good at that) but we go through this within a week or two usually so I just keep it in a container in the fridge. You could definitely double the recipe.

Delicious on slices of cheese, ricotta, cottage cheese, thick greek yoghurt or home made vanilla ice cream.

Last edited:

tara

it's a bit more bitter,
More sugar. :) You can taste test it towards the end of cooking and add more if you think it'll taste better.

amethyst

RP:

Marmalade recipe

Thanks to Danny for posting about Emma Sgourakis - hadn't heard of her before.
Don't you naturally get some of the anti-inflammatory chemicals when you hand peel an orange or grapefruit and leave some of the skin on it? There are times I crave fresh peeled oranges and grapefruits, rather than drinking just the juice.

ddjd

Can someone clarify, are the positive effects of naringenin lessened when it's gone through the cooking process i.e. heating etc

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals