Lactoferrin Is Awesome

Douglas Ek

Oh yeah, the other small miracle from the lactoferrin is that I have measured 99 temperatures about an hour ater waking and before any caffeine or calories, that is simply undocumented for the past 15 months I have taken temps every morning.

Don’t suprise me if it helps with iron metabolism. Just iron supplements alone raises my temps extremely well when I get low. The difference is night and day. Energy, Heat, calmness and wellbeing, motivation everything. So anything that improves iron metabolism and the use of iron probably have that effect aswell. Increased thyroid output and dopamine. Optimal iron metabolism seems very important for health. But its hard to pin point it down and get control off it.

magnesiumania

I'm not sure how it is possible but I have noticed the same thing, which I have not replicated with juices. Possibly it reaches the cells faster when taken in isolation?

Salt and potassium is drives the adrenals. But magnesium activates the Na/K pump. Salt help magnesium and potassium stay inside the cell where they prefer to hang out. I think you need the balance of all for healthy adrenal function.

magnesiumania

Don’t suprise me if it helps with iron metabolism. Just iron supplements alone raises my temps extremely well when I get low. The difference is night and day. Energy, Heat, calmness and wellbeing, motivation everything. So anything that improves iron metabolism and the use of iron probably have that effect aswell. Increased thyroid output and dopamine. Optimal iron metabolism seems very important for health. But its hard to pin point it down and get control off it.
Iron supplements dont really support iron metabolism do they? I dont think a supplement would be bio-available. The heme-iron in beef liver is much more useful as its also accompanied with the co-factors that build ceruloplasmin. If you dont know Retinol loads copper onto ceruloplasmin so it can express as the Ferroxidase enzyme that oxidize Fe3 to Fe2 of which the latter can bind to Transferrin (its transport protein). And liver is RICH in retinol (active vit A)

Mountain

Btw I bought some potassium bicarbonate, real salt, etc... to try to reply your electrolyte formula. I was going to prepare 1L today but I decided to just try a pinch of potassium bicarbonate on its own (maybe 200-300mg of the thing) and I felt an instant feeling of relaxation. Not drowsy or anything, just like if some anxiety switch was turned off. Well, not turned off, but just went down considerably.

I replicated that some hours later and also found the same effects. That was totally unexpected. And I eat a decent ammount of fruits every day (at least 3-4 pieces and almost always some orange juice).

How is this possible ? I thought it was salt which was anti stress, not potassium.

How is this possible ? Why would I be potassium deficient if I have been low salt for many months

Restricting sodium activates the renin-angiotensin system which causes you to lose potassium in your urine. You might have been tricked by the Dr. Morse vegan rhetoric permeating the forum lately.

Makrosky

Restricting sodium activates the renin-angiotensin system which causes you to lose potassium in your urine. You might have been tricked by the Dr. Morse vegan rhetoric permeating the forum lately.
Nah it's not related to that Dr Morse thing. I always eat fruit daily but I am very far away from being a frutarian. And I was not restricting salt on purpose, it just happened that I was away from home and not using as much as I usually do.

In fact since starting Peating many years ago my cravings for salt have diminished a lot. I used to salt things way much more before. I don't have that need right now.

I was really surprised about the calming effect of simply 250mg of the potassium when with diet I probably get more than the RDA which is 4700mg. Go figure.

I must also say that somehow salt feels kind of anxiogenic, contrary to the popular belief here.

Edit : "anxiogenic" is not the right word. Don't know how to explain it... I would say no salt is like ambient music, salt is like techno music. Doesn't necessarly mean techno is anxiogenic, it just promotes more outward movement so to speak. Hard to describe this feeling in English.

Last edited:

Douglas Ek

Iron supplements dont really support iron metabolism do they? I dont think a supplement would be bio-available. The heme-iron in beef liver is much more useful as its also accompanied with the co-factors that build ceruloplasmin. If you dont know Retinol loads copper onto ceruloplasmin so it can express as the Ferroxidase enzyme that oxidize Fe3 to Fe2 of which the latter can bind to Transferrin (its transport protein). And liver is RICH in retinol (active vit A)

Yeah, I consume tons of retinol daily from milk, eggs, butter I'm always way above the RDA. I eat liver regularly and I even take retinol supplement. I know everything about ceruloplasmin, copper, iron and how they work. Iron both from food and supplements do increase ceruloplasmin aswell because the body can sense it needs more. It can only do so with adequate copper and vitamin A. Also vitamin A can only increase ceruloplasmin if there's enough free copper in the serum. There's research showing this you can google. The combination of Iron, some copper and vitamin A is very good in my experience I get a tremendous energy boost, feel great, better libido, sleep less wake up earlier with lots of energy. People are just afraid to try iron supplements and think it's good for a male to be at 40 in ferritin. Well, that's good if you have hemochromatosis. Ironbound to ferritin is not the dangerous iron it's the serum-iron and hemochromatosis you absorb a lot more iron from your diet than ordinary people. which acutely raises serum-iron and the liver then goes on to bind it to ferritin. This means that hemochromatosis patients need to keep their ferritin lower for their serum-iron to be average. Normal people can have a bit more for serum-iron to be average.

magnesiumania

Yeah, I consume tons of retinol daily from milk, eggs, butter I'm always way above the RDA. I eat liver regularly and I even take retinol supplement. I know everything about ceruloplasmin, copper, iron and how they work. Iron both from food and supplements do increase ceruloplasmin aswell because the body can sense it needs more. It can only do so with adequate copper and vitamin A. Also vitamin A can only increase ceruloplasmin if there's enough free copper in the serum. There's research showing this you can google. The combination of Iron, some copper and vitamin A is very good in my experience I get a tremendous energy boost, feel great, better libido, sleep less wake up earlier with lots of energy. People are just afraid to try iron supplements and think it's good for a male to be at 40 in ferritin. Well, that's good if you have hemochromatosis. Ironbound to ferritin is not the dangerous iron it's the serum-iron and hemochromatosis you absorb a lot more iron from your diet than ordinary people. which acutely raises serum-iron and the liver then goes on to bind it to ferritin. This means that hemochromatosis patients need to keep their ferritin lower for their serum-iron to be average. Normal people can have a bit more for serum-iron to be average.

I know Morley Robbins suggest theres much more problematic with iron in tissues and organs than the unbound iron in your blood. Its just that this stored iron dont show up on tests. Look up hemociderin, its captures iron and store it much like ferritin does.

magnesiumania

I have taken much higher doses of sodium bicarbonate and the effects are not the same.

Ok, interesting. First time i took potassium gluconate i felt great! A well being i had not felt in a while. But as i kept taking it i never got that feeling again.

tankasnowgod

The vast majority of iron supplements available simply don't have any protective proteins around the iron. Free iron in the body is not a good thing. Even when measurements are taken for "Serum Iron," that iron is still bound to transport proteins (generally), specifically transferrin. Supplements can certainly have bioavialbility issues, but most iron supplements are notorious for causing GI distress when taken, too.

You are correct in that heme iron from beef (liver or muscle meat) is going to more bioavailable and safer than supplemental iron.

If an iron supplement is ever necessary, iron bound with lactoferrin is probably the best one to buy. Effective at raising serum iron levels, and most reviews state no GI issues. Since it's bound with lactoferrin, it will have some defense in keeping iron away from gut microbes, as well.

Douglas Ek

I know Morley Robbins suggest theres much more problematic with iron in tissues and organs than the unbound iron in your blood. Its just that this stored iron dont show up on tests. Look up hemociderin, its captures iron and store it much like ferritin does.
The vast majority of iron supplements available simply don't have any protective proteins around the iron. Free iron in the body is not a good thing. Even when measurements are taken for "Serum Iron," that iron is still bound to transport proteins (generally), specifically transferrin. Supplements can certainly have bioavialbility issues, but most iron supplements are notorious for causing GI distress when taken, too.

You are correct in that heme iron from beef (liver or muscle meat) is going to more bioavailable and safer than supplemental iron.

If an iron supplement is ever necessary, iron bound with lactoferrin is probably the best one to buy. Effective at raising serum iron levels, and most reviews state no GI issues. Since it's bound with lactoferrin, it will have some defense in keeping iron away from gut microbes, as well.

@magnesiumania
Yes and I'm sure Morley Robbins is right that a lot of people struggle with adequate levels of copper and magnesium. People with magnesium deficiency tend to get iron overload just as Morley says
Iron accumulation in tissues of magnesium-deficient rats with dietary iron overload. - PubMed - NCBI

And both free copper combined with retinol determines ceruloplasmin levels
Induction of ceruloplasmin synthesis by retinoic acid in rats: influence of dietary copper and vitamin A status. - PubMed - NCBI
"With daily injections of retinoic acid, the ceruloplasmin activity continued to increase for at least 4 d. After 4 d, the activity was four times control levels. In copper-deficient rats, the ceruloplasmin activity did not increase in response to retinoic acid unless copper was also given to these rats 8 h after retinoic acid."

If you look at Wilson disease (genetically no ceruloplasmin production) they get both copper and iron deposited in tissue. Which tells us ceruloplasmin obviously is needed for regulation of iron metabolism. And I've remembered I saw some study proving that vitamin A was protective of excess iron depositing in the liver. This is probably due to its effect increasing ceruloplasmin so dramatically.
Iron accumulation in the liver of male patients with Wilson's disease. - PubMed - NCBI

Boron is known to aid the retention of magnesium so thus why Morley promotes boron as an extra defense against cellular magnesium deficiency by iron.

The Magnesiums role seems to be increasing transferrin
Magnesium potentiation of iron-transferrin binding. - PubMed - NCBI
And thus having a magnesium deficiency would incapacitate your body to use and mobilize iron as an oxidant in cellular respiration.

That's Morleys take on it all and I'm sure he's right about how it works.
There are also other things to consider like antioxidant status being protective of irons damaging capabilities so vitamin E probably vitamin C and other antioxidants can protect the body during iron excess.
Preloading with vitamin E before injecting a lethal dose of iron resulted in 100% protection of the rats in this study
Vitamin E is protective against iron toxicity and iron-induced hepatic vitamin E depletion in mice. - PubMed - NCBI

"A single subcutaneous dose of vitamin E (20 mg/kg body wt) 24 h prior to a lethal dose of iron (60 mg/kg, intraperitoneally) resulted in 100% protection."

That's some damn good results from something as simple as just vitamin E.

People with Iron overload and people who have hemochromatosis probably have lowered vitamin E, Magnesium and maybe copper levels or dysregulation of all of them because of the excess iron. If you first of don't have hemochromatosis plus eat a diet full of vitamin E, Copper, Vitamin A, and Magnesium I doubt you don't have to worry that much. I don't have hemochromatosis and I consume tons of vitamin E, Copper, Vitamin A, and Magnesium. I tend to have very low iron from blood test results and my energy, well being and even libido improves from supplemental iron from time to time. Everyone is different and just like Morley advocate that you can't just focus on ferritin considering iron deficiency you can't just focus on one health parameter when considering the base of people general health and well being. Just because you have hemochromatosis and felt better donating blood doesn't mean the whole world would do so. Or that everyone should be afraid of iron from food.
@tankasnowgod - Yes the lactoferrin, if it works for me, would seem to be a much better option for me to get iron from. I guess I have to buy some and try it out to see if it does have the same effect for me. Do you get enough Vitamin E, Copper, Retinol, and Magnesium? Considering how important they seem to be in proper iron metabolism and protection it would seem to be a given for someone with hemochromatosis.

@Cirion
Are you aware of this?
Lactoferrin combined with retinol, copper, magnesium might be a good combo for you to try since you complain of symptoms quite similar to iron deficiency?

I think in general all of this should be optimal for a perfect metabolism and functioning thyroid. You can't deny irons importance and involvement in cellular respiration and thyroid health. But you have to look at all these co-factors involved and also account for genetics like hemochromatosis to get the full picture.

Last edited:
OP
Captain_Coconut
Last edited:
OP
Captain_Coconut
Seems like the lactoferrin prevents hangovers too. I drank 5 drinks in a short period, something which I would usually feel the next morning. I did not take any other vitamins etc, and I woke up feeling fine. The quality of my sleep was better than usual as well. For me this proves that the lactoferrin protects very well against endotoxemia.

Mauritio

Sounds interesting!
I would like to try too. I found a brand that is 10€ cheaper ,but only contains lactoferrin. Do you think there is a big difference between apolactoferrin and plain lactoferrin ?

OP
Captain_Coconut
Sounds interesting!
I would like to try too. I found a brand that is 10€ cheaper ,but only contains lactoferrin. Do you think there is a big difference between apolactoferrin and plain lactoferrin ?

I think regular lactoferrin that still has high saturation of iron can be beneficial in different ways than the apolactoferrin. Both probably are beneficial if you do not already have any major iron issues. It is a complex subject with many papers detailing the differences, it is hard to sumarize. Apolactoferrin is probably safer.

magnesiumania

Seems like the lactoferrin prevents hangovers too. I drank 5 drinks in a short period, something which I would usually feel the next morning. I did not take any other vitamins etc, and I woke up feeling fine. The quality of my sleep was better than usual as well. For me this proves that the lactoferrin protects very well against endotoxemia.

Iron DOES accumulate in the gut and the consequences are not pretty. Read iron toxicity posts on gotmag.org or the boog Iron the Most Toxic Metal by Jym Moon, PhD.

magnesiumania

Douglas Ek: Yes, vitamin C would be helpful to mitigate oxidative stress induced by iron. Also its a source of copper (in the tyrosinase enzyme which is part of vitamin C) that helps regulate iron.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals