Lactobacillus Reuteri ATCC PTA 6475 Restores Youth In Old Mice

rei

I came across this amazing study of how this mothers-milk derived strain dramatically returns youth to old mice. It is the first scientific study i have seen that shows quick and dramatic increase in hair follicles and restoration of hair growth. Additionally the hair that grows back is youthful, thick and shiny, which is a primary marker of youtfulness, as is the skin thickness which increased many fold compared to controls.

Additionally l. reuteri increases testosterone levels by 800%, decreases inflammation markers, increases wound healing, increases physical activity, decreases body fat etc.

Seems too good to be true?

Probiotic Bacteria Induce a ‘Glow of Health’
Probiotic Microbes Sustain Youthful Serum Testosterone Levels and Testicular Size in Aging Mice

To me it seems clear that a sterile digestive tract is impossible in the real world outside laboratory, and as long as we accept that fact we should seek to cultivate the correct bacteria and drown out the incorrect ones. Therefore i have a hard time accepting the complete probiotic negativity expressed by some on this forum.

Maybe the issue is merely which strain is used to supplement?

Last edited:

Dave Clark

I am not always clear on this, but isn't there good nitric oxide and not so good nitric oxide, eNOS and iNOS? And if so, how do we know which is being increased? Some nitric oxide production must be okay, but how do we actually know when it is beyond that?

Makrosky

The most important thing is : How is it possible to replicate that with humans and... has anyone tried it ?

PS. I agree keeping an "sterile gut" is impossible and most probably not desirable AT ALL. In fact I think Ray uses it as kind of a metaphor.

tankasnowgod

I came across this amazing study of how this mothers-milk derived strain dramatically returns youth to old mice. It is the first scientific study i have seen that shows quick and dramatic increase in hair follicles and restoration of hair growth. Additionally the hair that grows back is youthful, thick and shiny, which is a primary marker of youtfulness, as is the skin thickness which increased many fold compared to controls.

Additionally l. reuteri increases testosterone levels by 800%, decreases inflammation markers, increases wound healing, increases physical activity, decreases body fat etc.

Probiotic Microbes Sustain Youthful Serum Testosterone Levels and Testicular Size in Aging Mice

To me it seems clear that a sterile digestive tract is impossible in the real world outside laboratory, and as long as we accept that fact we should seek to cultivate the correct bacteria and drown out the incorrect ones. Therefore i have a hard time accepting the complete probiotic negativity expressed by some on this forum.

Lactobacillus is anti inflammatory, even when it's dead. Of course, its safer when dead too, as it it doesn't produce lactic acid and endotoxin.

Just because it's impossible to keep the gi tract 100% sterile doesn't mean that its wise to deliberately attempt to infect it with living organisms.

Kartoffel

Reuteri raises Nitric oxide considerably

Does it?

Res Vet Sci. 2015 Jun;100:39-44. doi: 10.1016/j.rvsc.2015.03.003. Epub 2015 Mar 18.
Characterization of the effects of three Lactobacillus species on the function of chicken macrophages.
Brisbin JT1, Davidge L1, Roshdieh A1, Sharif S2.
Author information
Abstract

Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus reuteri and Lactobacillus salivarius can influence the adaptive immune responses in chickens but vary in their ability to do so. The present study attempted to identify how these three bacteria alter the innate immune system. A chicken macrophage cell line, MQ-NCSU, was co-cultured with the three live Lactobacillus species, alone or in combination, grown at different temperatures for various durations of time. Late exponential growth phase bacteria were more immunostimulatory, while bacterial growth temperature had little effect. L. acidophilus and L. salivarius significantly increased nitric oxide (NO) production and phagocytosis, while L. reuteri did not. In fact, L reuteri was shown to inhibit NO production of macrophages when co-cultured with the other bacteria or when cells were pre-treated with LPS. The results demonstrate a possible molecular mechanism for the immunomodulatory effects of L. acidophilus and L. salivarius, and a unique immunomodulatory ability of L. reuteri.

I saw the second study you posted a while ago, and ever since I have been tempted to try taking a small amount of L reuteri to see, if it does anything. The first study is also pretty impressive, especially the photographs showing the difference in hair quality and regrowth. If I had been able to find a decent product, I probably would have ordered it already.

Makrosky

Does it?

Res Vet Sci. 2015 Jun;100:39-44. doi: 10.1016/j.rvsc.2015.03.003. Epub 2015 Mar 18.
Characterization of the effects of three Lactobacillus species on the function of chicken macrophages.
Brisbin JT1, Davidge L1, Roshdieh A1, Sharif S2.
Author information
Abstract

Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus reuteri and Lactobacillus salivarius can influence the adaptive immune responses in chickens but vary in their ability to do so. The present study attempted to identify how these three bacteria alter the innate immune system. A chicken macrophage cell line, MQ-NCSU, was co-cultured with the three live Lactobacillus species, alone or in combination, grown at different temperatures for various durations of time. Late exponential growth phase bacteria were more immunostimulatory, while bacterial growth temperature had little effect. L. acidophilus and L. salivarius significantly increased nitric oxide (NO) production and phagocytosis, while L. reuteri did not. In fact, L reuteri was shown to inhibit NO production of macrophages when co-cultured with the other bacteria or when cells were pre-treated with LPS. The results demonstrate a possible molecular mechanism for the immunomodulatory effects of L. acidophilus and L. salivarius, and a unique immunomodulatory ability of L. reuteri.

I saw the second study you posted a while ago, and ever since I have been tempted to try taking a small amount of L reuteri to see, if it does anything. The first study is also pretty impressive, especially the photographs showing the difference in hair quality and regrowth. If I had been able to find a decent product, I probably would have ordered it already.
You don't trust the biogaia product???

Kartoffel

You don't trust the biogaia product???

I'm not keen on sunflower oil and silicion dioxide (and that's their product with the least problematic ingredients).

Makrosky

I'm not keen on sunflower oil and silicion dioxide (and that's their product with the least problematic ingredients).
How much vegetable oil is there gonna be on each pill ? 100mg maybe ? It doesn't list silicon dioxide.

From their website :
Bulking agent (isomalt), L. reuteri DSM 17938 and L. reuteri ATCC PTA 6475, fully hydrogenated vegetable oil (palm), flavour enhancer (ascorbic acid), mandarin flavoring and mint flavoring. One tablet consists of a minimum of 200 million live L. reuteri Gastrus. Net weight per tablet, 700 mg. Excessive consumption may have a laxative effect due to the content of sweetener in the product.

Kartoffel

How much vegetable oil is there gonna be on each pill ? 100mg maybe ? It doesn't list silicon dioxide.

From their website :

The silicon dioxide was for the liquid product, and apparently the ingredients vary somewhat from country to country. That doesn't sound to bad indeed, allthough the ascorbic acid and sweeteners are redundant, and they even state that they might result in diarrhea. I browsed through some customers reviews, mostly on amazon, and there are quite a few people complaining that they didn't get any benefits and basically felt like they bought useless candy.

OP
R

rei

I have ordered the biogaia gastrus which became ridiculously expensive since it is not available locally. I plan to make yogurt from it and keep a continuous process going. This should correct the weak cell count in the pill and the price per dose.

Kartoffel

I have ordered the biogaia gastrus which became ridiculously expensive since it is not available locally. I plan to make yogurt from it and keep a continuous process going. This should correct the weak cell count in the pill and the price per dose.

I actually don't know what a decent cell count per tablet would be. They used 3.5×10^5 cells per mouse per day in the first study - so roughly 350.000. The product is said to contain 200 million per tablet. Doesn't that sound like it's enough, especially since you probably don't want to overdo it with bacteria

Broken man

perfecthairhealth.com contains some good info about this bacteria. Hope that somebody will try and see.

OP
R

rei

I actually don't know what a decent cell count per tablet would be. They used 3.5×10^5 cells per mouse per day in the first study - so roughly 350.000. The product is said to contain 200 million per tablet. Doesn't that sound like it's enough, especially since you probably don't want to overdo it with bacteria
People report incredible results with an estimated trillion CFU. 2 billion is enough to reliably make a quart of yogurt.

The l. reuteri studies demonstrating significant improvements to thyroid functionality, skin health, and hair health all fed the mice a dosage of 350,000 IU’s of l. reuteri daily. In humans, if we control for weight, we’d need a dose of several billion IU’s per day to match the same amount that the mice were fed. And unfortunately, most l. reuteri supplements only come in 100 million IU increments. And they’re expensive.

Last edited:
OP
R

rei

I cannot think of anything much more traditional and natural than yogurt made from naturally occurring human bacteria. This is completely in the realm of possible things in the stone age. Take milk from cow, add some breast milk and let it ferment.

Maybe adding a little cocoa butter would be good based on those links.

Last edited:

olive

Maybe adding a little cocoa butter would be good based on those links.
One could also make yogurt from coconut milk, right? Assuming you are suggest cocoa butter for its saturated fat content.

OP
R

rei

Yes coconut milk yogurt is doable. But it is not high in palmitic and stearic acid which the link mentions as good for reuteri.