Lactobacillus Reuteri ATCC PTA 6475 Restores Youth In Old Mice

lvysaur

I made an L Reuteri Yogurt. This is what I did:

Materials:
BioGaia L. Reuteri probiotic: BioGaia, Gastrus, For GI Tract, Mandarin Flavored, 30 Chewable Tablets
1 pint A2 milk
1 pint half and half

Procedure:
Cooked the milk + half and half at 140 F for 20 minutes.
Powdered 10 tablets of LReuteri in a sterilized (clorox wipe) mortar and pestle.
mixed the tablet powder in a tiny amount (~1/8 cup) of 100 F water. (water and cup was sterilized prior, microwave)
Let the dairy cool to 102 F.
poured tablet+water mixture into the dairy, put a clean lid on.
Put the dairy pot into a bigger pot filled with water, maintained at 95-101 F for 5 hours.
Afterwards, put the dairy pot at room temperature for 9 hours.

Total fermentation time: 14 hours
this recipe did not use inulin or any prebiotic fiber

Results: consistency is like standard store yogurt. whey separation is present.
Taste and smell: slightly funky and cheesy. No putrid taste, but "funk". Tastes similar to a ripened cheese. Not sour.

I'm wondering if anyone experienced a similar taste. I realize the fermentation time was shorter than usual.

Lollipop2

I made an L Reuteri Yogurt. This is what I did:

Materials:
BioGaia L. Reuteri probiotic: BioGaia, Gastrus, For GI Tract, Mandarin Flavored, 30 Chewable Tablets
1 pint A2 milk
1 pint half and half

Procedure:
Cooked the milk + half and half at 140 F for 20 minutes.
Powdered 10 tablets of LReuteri in a sterilized (clorox wipe) mortar and pestle.
mixed the tablet powder in a tiny amount (~1/8 cup) of 100 F water. (water and cup was sterilized prior, microwave)
Let the dairy cool to 102 F.
poured tablet+water mixture into the dairy, put a clean lid on.
Put the dairy pot into a bigger pot filled with water, maintained at 95-101 F for 5 hours.
Afterwards, put the dairy pot at room temperature for 9 hours.

Total fermentation time: 14 hours
this recipe did not use inulin or any prebiotic fiber

Results: consistency is like standard store yogurt. whey separation is present.
Taste and smell: slightly funky and cheesy. No putrid taste, but "funk". Tastes similar to a ripened cheese. Not sour.

I'm wondering if anyone experienced a similar taste. I realize the fermentation time was shorter than usual.
Did you read through the BioGaia Gastrus literature? The company designed the tablet to be saliva activated. I am not sure your method will produce optimal results. Email the company and ask. I emailed them once and their customer service was responsive and helpful.

DANIEL

Just bought this strain (L. reuteri ATCC PTA 6475) in BioGaia Osfortis, it has 10 billion CFU in a 2 capsule dose

Combining it with Seed Daily Synbiotic (Prebiotic + Probiotic)

Gonna take them together in the morning on an empty stomach

I have a good feeling they will dramatically improve my health

mrchibbs

I bought BioGaia Osfortis in the summer (to make greek yogurt), and I think the bacteria strains died because of the warm summer heat.

They are extremely sensitive to heat, especially during transport.

With BioGaia Gastrus, it's quite easy to make a tasty yogurt, at around 98-100F for 24H. Of course as Ray has said, it's better to strain the liquid whey to remove the acidity.

DANIEL

I bought BioGaia Osfortis in the summer (to make greek yogurt), and I think the bacteria strains died because of the warm summer heat.

They are extremely sensitive to heat, especially during transport.

With BioGaia Gastrus, it's quite easy to make a tasty yogurt, at around 98-100F for 24H. Of course as Ray has said, it's better to strain the liquid whey to remove the acidity.
Did you also try the Osfortis capsules themselves? Studies on testosterone levels and skin health for this strain look quite promising (in mice).

I just saw that BioGaia is doing a human trial on their strain to see if it increases T levels in healthy men 50-65 years old. I'm looking forward to the results!

Ben Stone

Any updates from folks on this thread with their longer term experience with this strain consumed directly or via yogurt? Curious to see how you all are doing!

Perry Staltic

L. reuteri is popular with people with autism and ME/CFS partly (or mostly, not sure) because it produces significantly more L-lactate than D-lactate. The latter is what the body cannot easily metabolize because there isn't a specific metabolizing enzyme for it like there is for L-lactate. Consequently, D-lactate can accumulate potentially causing problems (eg, brain fog, IBS, SIBO, etc). I don't use it because I've got so many other non-D-lactate producers on my plate, but I would like to.

L. reuteri IDCC 3701 was found to predominantly produce L-lactate (20.5mg/mL, which is equivalent to 78.8%) rather than D-lactate (5.5 mg/mL, 21.2%), respectively.

Perry Staltic

L. reuteri (some strains) also does not produce histamines or tyramine.

“isolates were classified into 5 different LAB species: Lactobacillus salivarius, Lactobacillus reuteri,Lactobacillus johnsonii, Pediococcus acidilactici, and Lactobacillus paralimentarius. None of the isolates produced tyramine or histamine.”
During the research, I discovered that some strains of Lactobacillus reuteri do not produce histamines — L.Reuteri is the most common lactobacillus in a healthy human gut and also very low in CFS patients. This implies that the reduction of the L.Reuteri population would result in histamine increase from the bacteria that takes its place. If there is production of D-lactate by L.Reuteri, I was unable to find on PubMed.

I’ve been trying it again. No constipation this time.

I tolerate aspirin better, presumably due to L Reuteri bringing down H Pylori in my stomach.

I have noticed my temps seem a bit higher, maybe .4F Higher, which is surprising. That is the biggest effect.

Libido is great as usual and everything else in the malle department is super good. I will ccntinue with it.

Nebula

Any other long term result updates on using the BioGaia tablets to make yogurt or by themselves?

Lollipop2

I’ve been trying it again. No constipation this time.

I tolerate aspirin better, presumably due to L Reuteri bringing down H Pylori in my stomach.

I have noticed my temps seem a bit higher, maybe .4F Higher, which is surprising. That is the biggest effect.

Libido is great as usual and everything else in the malle department is super good. I will ccntinue with it.
Which brand are you using?

Aad

The test increase I got from Osfortis is extraordinary. No test supplement comes even close.