Lactobacillus Reuteri ATCC PTA 6475 Restores Youth In Old Mice

Broken man

Thanks for clarifying. I’ve decided to buy the biogaia gastrus tablets and a yogurt maker. Should have a batch made in a few days time - just waiting on delivery. Please keep me updated on your progress. I’m still undecided what to culture it in. I’m considering a 2:2:1 mix of coconut cream:coconut milk:stearic acid. Which source of carbohydrate will you be feeding the yogurt? Commercial coconut yogurts that I looked at in the store tended to use tapioca but I’ve opted for Inulin. According to the blog post I’ll need to add sugar to the mix due to the lack of lactose. Do you believe honey would work?
Will it work without lactose?

OP
R

rei

Thanks for clarifying. I’ve decided to buy the biogaia gastrus tablets and a yogurt maker. Should have a batch made in a few days time - just waiting on delivery. Please keep me updated on your progress. I’m still undecided what to culture it in. I’m considering a 2:2:1 mix of coconut cream:coconut milk:stearic acid. Which source of carbohydrate will you be feeding the yogurt? Commercial coconut yogurts that I looked at in the store tended to use tapioca but I’ve opted for Inulin. According to the blog post I’ll need to add sugar to the mix due to the lack of lactose. Do you believe honey would work?

Honey has antimicrobial constituents and i don't know if it matters.

It's my first time making yogurt, and i tried using an oven with too high hysteresis (30 to 45 ^C) so i don't know if the result is as it is supposed to. The fermenting jar stayed at 30-36 degrees during the heating cycles with most of the time at the low end. I used 10 biogai gastrus tablets and 2 flat tablespoons of inulin in 1l whole milk + 2dl cream. The resulting product is much thinner than i expected but the guide i'm following says it might be normal and the second batch made from living culture should turn out better and thicker.

I'm currently eating my first test portion after 40hrs of fermenting, the taste is a mix between yogurt and a local wild culture fermented milk product that apparently has no english name. So it might be that the low and varying temperature allowed other things to grow than only the reuteri. But soon i will see, i already started the second batch and this time i am using a digital thermostat controlled heater with only 1 degree hysteresis at 36.5-37.5 and it measures from the surface of the jar, not the air.

Dave Clark

water based-kefir might be able to sustain a cultivation for those that dont tolerate milk
Can this be fermented in kefir? I don't make yogurt, but I do make my own kefir with raw, grass-fed milk. Wouldn't mind throwing in some Reuteri if it is possible.

OP
R

rei

Second ferment finished 48hrs and tastes very different. Much less complex profile, stronger acidic plain yogurt taste. This is more in line with how people tend to describe it.

First batch was simply delicious and was consumed quickly, and it felt amazing.

olive

Second ferment finished 48hrs and tastes very different. Much less complex profile, stronger acidic plain yogurt taste. This is more in line with how people tend to describe it.

First batch was simply delicious and was consumed quickly, and it felt amazing.
Thanks for the update.

My tablets finally came in.
Planning the first batch, can you let me know if you see any potential problems?

Method:
- Add 1tsp stearic acid + 400ml coconut cream + 400ml coconut milk to yogurt maker pot
- Pasteurise stearic acid/coconut cream/coconut milk mixture to just below boiling via hot water immersion
- Let cool to 40deg C (above 45deg C will destroy probiotics)
- Crush 7x BioGaia Gastrus tablets in a small bowl
- Add 1tbsp white table sugar to bowl
- Add 2tbsp Inulin to bowl
- Take 2 tbsp of cooled stearic acid/coconut cream/coconut milk mixture (must be below 40deg C) from pot and add to bowl
- Mix contents of bowl into slurry
- Add slurry to pot and stir
- Add lid
- Put pot into yogurt maker and add water
- Turn on yogurt maker for 24 hours @ 38deg C

OP
R

rei

Sounds perfect, but really i don't know. I'm not even sure my yogurt is coming out right and it is supposed to be much easier than coconut yogurt so good luck :)

I will probably start again with the tablets in a few days to see if the result changes when proper temperature control is used. For all i know i might be cultivating some wild microbes currently.

edit: this guide talks about how you need to emulsify the fat when using coconut milk: Re-post: Make L. reuteri yogurt | Dr. William Davis

Last edited:

miki14

I wrote Ray Peat a longe time ago:

Dear Dr Peat,

what is your opinion on lactobacillus reuteri as a probiotic to reduce endotoxins?

This strain produces the antibiotic reuterin and there's some evidence that it helps with bacterial infections.

RP: I think it’s safe; I’ve seen good results from other bacterial cultures, such as B. subtilis and B. licheniformis.

shine

I experienced tingling on my scalp at the areas where my hair is turning gray after the first capsule. Kinda felt like the cells there woke up again. I definitely feel somewhat rejuvenated and also more social and dominant after taking it for a while now. Will report back.

Kartoffel

I experienced tingling on my scalp at the areas where my hair is turning gray after the first capsule. Kinda felt like the cells there woke up again. I definitely feel somewhat rejuvenated and also more social and dominant after taking it for a while now. Will report back.

What product are you using?

olive

@rei
@olive
How have your guys experience gone so far using this strain?
I’m can’t be sure the yogurt was inoculated with the pro-biotic and not just surrounding bacteria but the resulting product was extremely sour. 1cup caused gastric upset and subsequent loose stools. I waited a few days and tried 0.5cup, similar response. Haven’t been game enough to eat any more. No noticeable difference apart from the temporary gastric upset. Think I’ll throw out the current batch and make another from scratch, when I find the time.

shine

Can I ask you, dont you have problém wih drinking coffee after probiotics? Thank you.

I mostly use caffeine pills (200-300mg daily) but when I drink coffee there is no issue. Are you talking about gastro-intestinal problems? Quite the contrary, I rarely have problems like that. I also take another probiotic btw, L. Gasseri.
When I took a multi strain probiotic I had issues like that, but these two have been beneficial to me personally so far.

OP
R

rei

I have been keeping a continuous batch going since the last time i posted in the thread, and now the most recent one became noticeably different, it is very sour even when recipe has stayed almost the same the whole time, so it might be that a bit of sanitary practices should be followed to not allow gradual shift in bacterial population. If the one currently baking turns out the same i will stop this lineage and at some point start again utilizing sanitizing wash i have from homebrewing (star san).

There is no obvious effect but somehow it feels to give similar subtle energy, warmth and fluidity as cholesterol powder, which could be due to increase in testosterone. But the effect is much smaller than a decent dose of transdermal progesterone.

Last edited:

Dave Clark

Can this be fermented in kefir? I don't make yogurt, but I do make my own kefir with raw, grass-fed milk. Wouldn't mind throwing in some Reuteri if it is possible.
I will respond to my own question in case others are interested. Dr. Davis responded to my question about putting Reuteri in kefir. He said no, that kefir has many different strains, and what you are going for here is to make a monoculture of high count without interference from other strains. Makes sense. He said, enjoy your kefir, but make the Reuteri as a yogurt as he suggests, from scratch, without other strains. So, for some people who were starting their batches with a pre-made yogurt, that would be a no-go.