Lactic Acid In Yogurt - Less Sugar, More Lactic Acid?

Ulla

I was just thinking if yogurt has a small amount of sugar if this could mean that has more lactic acid? Or less? Or it doesn't matter how much sugar is inside.

I see in the store different yogurts (low fat,full fat...) and some has 5.1 g/100 g or 4.3g/100g and some only 3g of sugar... I wonder if this has anything to do with lactic acid content.

the original yogurt is fermented milk, obviously and what ferments is lactose which is milk sugar. I suppose there could be other sugars but primarily lactose. Yogurt doesn't have much/any lactose left, because it's all fermented. I don't think this shows up on the nutritional analysis as it's not lactic acid or lactate and not sugar anymore.

I think all yogurt has lactic acid in similar amounts. There may be a difference between Greek, which has the whey strained out, and the "regular" style, but basically they all have been fermented so the lactose is now lactic acid. Then the yogurt makers add sugar to make them sweet, unless it's plain unsweetened yogurt.

OP
Ulla

Ulla

The way you explained makes sense :)

jyb

If you were asking with health effects in mind, you'd also need to ask how much of that is D-lactic acid (harmful) and L-lactic acid (harmless?). And there, there are wild differences between fermented products. It depends how it was fermented and by what bacteria.

OP
Ulla

Ulla

Oh, okay. First time I'm hearing for two sorts of lactic acid.
I never liked yogurt much but I was buying it regularly one year ago because it was convenient for making 'pudding' in combination with gelatin.

Anyways, today I'm buying only greek yogurt 2 % but it came on my mind if the quantity of sugar in natural yogurt has anything to do with lactic acid.
Thank you jyb.

Xisca

the original yogurt is fermented milk, obviously and what ferments is lactose which is milk sugar. I suppose there could be other sugars but primarily lactose. Yogurt doesn't have much/any lactose left, because it's all fermented. I don't think this shows up on the nutritional analysis as it's not lactic acid or lactate and not sugar anymore.

I think all yogurt has lactic acid in similar amounts. There may be a difference between Greek, which has the whey strained out, and the "regular" style, but basically they all have been fermented so the lactose is now lactic acid. Then the yogurt makers add sugar to make them sweet, unless it's plain unsweetened yogurt.
Depends what you call sugar, because the lactic acid is from the glucose part.
...and in yogurt there is galactose, which is a monosacarid like glucose.
Lactose like sucrose is a double sugar, needing to be digested into simple sugar.
https://microbewiki.kenyon.edu/index.php/The_Role_of_Bacteria_in_the_Health_Potential_of_Yogurt
Yogurt production begins with the breakdown of lactose into glucose and galactose.
The glucose produced from this catabolic step then enters glycolysis, producing pyruvate. Pyruvate then enters lactate fermentation, also known as homolactic fermentation, as it produces only lactic acid molecules.

I would like to know what happens to lactic acid after this...
I cannot believe that lactic acid in the digestive tract has the same effect on the body than lactic acid happening in muscles!

Orion

I cannot believe that lactic acid in the digestive tract has the same effect on the body than lactic acid happening in muscles!

RP says to avoid both, lactic acid has to be broken down by the liver and wastes glycogen doing this. Lactic acid leads to inflammation, fibrosis and collagen build up in liver and tissue.

RP does not recommend yogurt as a staple for calories/calcium/protein or excessive anaerobic exercise.

raypeatclips

RP says to avoid both, lactic acid has to be broken down by the liver and wastes glycogen doing this. Lactic acid leads to inflammation, fibrosis and collagen build up in liver and tissue.

RP does not recommend yogurt as a staple for calories/calcium/protein or excessive anaerobic exercise.

Peat has said lactic acid from food is more likely to produce inflammation than lactic acid the body makes. He also has said greek yoghurt is safe but yes he never really mentions it as a staple.

Tenacity

Lactic acid (from eating greek yogurt) gives me a very noticeably itchy face and makes me prone to breakouts.

paymanz

Also it depend on how long it gets fermented, a freshly clogged yogurt should not have much lactic,it even taste sweet.

It can be even good because it digested by bacteria enzymes.

Maybe a tiny amount lactic in fresh yogurt.but that still is bad , I don't know!

michael94

Lactic acid is toxic in certain contexts but to say lactic acid from foods causes inflammation full stop when there is so much evidence to the contrary is very silly. If i inject a glass of milk into your liver you will die so fast it is not even funny. So i guess milk is liver toxic. lmao. Fermented foods can be good bad or neutral depending on the issues a person is dealing with at that specific time. By the way greek yogurt has best part removed)). And most yogurts are made from extremely low quality dairy and homogenized etc. So yes it is best to avoid a lot of them.

PeatThemAll

FWIW, I've got doubts about the 100% fermentation part. In some SCD circles, people buy their own yogurt maker machines to ensure 24 hours of fermentation, as commercial ones only get fermented for 4 hours. The appearance of no-lactose yogurt (ingredients list lactase) on the shelves here could be further confirmation of this.

AinmAnseo

Forum Supporter
I was just thinking if yogurt has a small amount of sugar if this could mean that has more lactic acid? Or less? Or it doesn't matter how much sugar is inside.

I see in the store different yogurts (low fat,full fat...) and some has 5.1 g/100 g or 4.3g/100g and some only 3g of sugar... I wonder if this has anything to do with lactic acid content.
Ulla,
You can remove most of the lactic acid (and whey) in yogurt by straining it for 24 hours, using this:

Hatrigo 1-Gallon Greek Yogurt Maker with Extra Fine Mesh BPA-Free Large Stainless Steel Strainer​

Amazon product ASIN B07VMQFGWXView: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VMQFGWX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I use it. Works great.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals