Lack of estrogen in brain causes bisexuality

OP
S
SaltGirl said:
So does pansexuality mean that I have zero estrogen in my brain? :shock:

The experiment only works for males; maybe for some reason you respond to both smells, or you just got wise :D

OP
S
Kasper said:
I thought sexuality was already determined at birth :p

That's the meaning of "perinatal" ;)

haidut

Forum Supporter
Just keep in mind that in studied with rodents you can't really tell if mice became bisexual or they became hypersexual. The latter will also push male mice to mate with other male mice but that is not their organic preference in contrast to the truly bisexual mice. Similarly, a study not long ago said that people low in serotonin "become" gay:
http://gawker.com/5785199/scientists-tu ... -serotonin

Btw, those are mice so we don't know. What we do know is that low serotonin will mean high dopamine and extremely high libido - so in essence hypersexuality. The US Army did unsanctioned studies with soldiers in the 1950s and 1960s using pCPA. The results were that heterosexual male humans became quite willing to have sex with other males...and animals...and even inanimate objects. So, does that make them bisexual? I think the more accurate term is hypersexual - i.e. with very high dopamine and low serotonin you just don't discriminate and screw everything in your path. So far, true homosexuality (or bisexuality for that matter) has not been induced in humans AFAIK suggesting that it is perinatal. However, the opposite was done once. Using high doses of DHT for a period of 3 years, Italian scientists claimed that it made 4 homosexual males change their preferences to heterosexual. I can't find the study right now, but if someone keeps Googling it will probably come up eventually.
Note that I am not arguing for or against gay or straight. I am just saying there is evidence that hormonal treatment apparently has sexuality modifying effects in some people.
Just my 2c.

OP
S
What if you could show their hypothalamus activating for smell of testosterone instead of estrogen? That happens in homosexual men; because I think that their idea is to deprive the male of contact with estrogen at birth. This reasoning is off though because heterosexual women also come in contact with both hormones and respond to testosterone!