Labs - Tsh, High Cholesterol And Triglycerides

Blossom

Forum Supporter
It's pretty strange how people can look half dead and feel like crap to boot and will still offer you unsolicited health advice. When our family gets together I'm the oldest daughter in law but look the youngest and healthiest. They were so appalled I was salting my food and drinking a coke! My sister in law just went on and on about how she had been working out all morning and hadn't eaten a thing all day and it was 2 p.m. No wonder she looks and feels so bad. No one makes the connection though because these health myths run so deep. She's been a runner for years and is holding steady at a good 250 pounds. You'd think she might start to question the benefits of her exercise and diet regimen? Oh well. It's not really about weight but when something is that ineffective it's time to change strategy. She is an otherwise seemingly intelligent person. But at least she is concerned about my sodium and sugar intake!

aguilaroja

Charlie said:
j. said:
Charlie said:
All I could say is "thank you for caring."

Without eye rolling?
This person that told me this is very hard headed. There is just nothing else I could really do in that situation. If the square box doesn't tell them what to do, they wont do it.

It's a shame that simply deceptively simple ideas are used to promote life-wronging ideas.

Cholesterol numerology and its high priced treatments have been sold through nice-sounding ideas, like "greasy buttery stuff clogs your arteries". Dr. Peat has a wonderful counter-analogy. It gets through to some people. PUFA's are shellacking your arteries:

"After a bottle of safflower oil has been opened a few times, a few drops that get smeared onto the outside of the bottle begin to get very sticky, and hard to wash off. This property is why it is a valued base for paints and varnishes, but this varnish is chemically closely related to the age pigment that forms "liver spots" on the skin, and similar lesions in the brain, heart, blood vessels, lenses of the eyes, etc. The image of "hard, white saturated coconut oil" isn't relevant to the oil's biological action, but the image of "sticky varnish-like easily oxidized unsaturated seed oils" is highly relevant to their toxicity."

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/coconut-oil.shtml

(yes, detail oriented people, I recognize that shellac and varnish are different. But for analogy...)

Sometimes, telling people that coconut is contains medium chain triglycerides rather than the demonized long chain saturated fats is enough to intimidate people into agreeing that coconut oil may be good.

OP
SQu

SQu

Thank you for all the replies! Need to catch up with them, will respond. Much appreciated!

OP
SQu

SQu

Aguilaroja, j and yoshiesque ( hope I got that right!) I think it's T3 I need. Doc gave script for T4 but I'm still asking for 3 - not taking T4 without T3 first but I have him in a spin - still waiting for him on that. Meantime aspirin is doing a great job standing in for it. Really stuck when I run out.

It's not familial, tx for suggestion - family all low except mom, mine used to be too.

Pufa ought to be low - avoided for years except for fish oil - still, been over 2.5 years off that too.

fascinated about the comment on fat - I'm aiming for low -eg 3 tsps coconut oil / day but there is a catch. Last few days I counted cals and grams. - 2400 cals, 60 - 70g fat, most from cheese milk (fat free!) butter coconut oil. Pufas below 5g. Dilemma - when fat is too much lower I crave cream and sugar. Decided to up the cheese rather than have cravings!
Thanks for quotes HDD!
Blossom same with me - cholesterol never a problem when low carbing etc. I'm actually very frustrated with docs - been taking these same symptoms to docs for years and years but they dont
Treat
year on symptoms only numbers. Wasted years of my life.

OP
SQu

SQu

I feel sorry for her Blossom - when she crashes she's got a mountain to climb to undo all that damage. It's hell bring like this sometimes, especially in bad patches and ( in my case ) especially in the mirror!!! I ask myself if I have any alternatives ( short answer - no. Slightly longer answer - other routes are what got me here in the first place eg dieting) and if I'm making progress ( yes except for this lab setback) and try to remember that in the long term I'm fixing my health and hopefully also my appearance ( one day.., ) but it's been a long time already and nowhere near there yet!

OP
SQu

SQu

50% higher in the 1970s! Wow. Fearmongering, exactly. So distorted! Maybe statins is why docs have ' forgotten' that high cholesterol is indicator for hypothyroidism. And margarine lowers cholesterol - how convenient. Have you noticed how they don't call it margarine anymore? Now it's 'spread'.
That mountain we have to climb is so much higher thanks to the distortions of the profit motive. Maybe without it there wouldn't even be a mountain.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
sueq said:
That mountain we have to climb is so much higher thanks to the distortions of the profit motive.
For the love of money is the root of all evil...

It's pretty strange how people can look half dead and feel like crap to boot and will still offer you unsolicited health advice. When our family gets together I'm the oldest daughter in law but look the youngest and healthiest. They were so appalled I was salting my food and drinking a coke! My sister in law just went on and on about how she had been working out all morning and hadn't eaten a thing all day and it was 2 p.m. No wonder she looks and feels so bad. No one makes the connection though because these health myths run so deep. She's been a runner for years and is holding steady at a good 250 pounds. You'd think she might start to question the benefits of her exercise and diet regimen? Oh well. It's not really about weight but when something is that ineffective it's time to change strategy. She is an otherwise seemingly intelligent person. But at least she is concerned about my sodium and sugar intake!

Hahaha yup. I think Ray Peat's work tends to strike a chord with people who already are in the habit of paying extremely close attention to how their bodies feel moment to moment.

And even for many that know deep down that something is wrong, it's just too scary to stray from what their authority figures tell them.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals