L-Tyrosine

Travis

We all have aluminum in our brains, introduced through diet. The best we can all do is eat a low‐aluminum diet with lots of fruit (citric acid) and a regular sleep cycle. This is a good article:

Xie, Lulu. "Sleep drives metabolite clearance from the adult brain." science (2013)

Lulu Xie had discovered increased brain perfusion levels during sleep as the brain's interstices relax and widen. Basically during sleep the cerebospinal fluid bathes the brain, dilutes metabolites, and is then ejected right before awakening (probably the very moment thee raphe nuclei starts firing, releasing vasoconstrictive serotonin). We are all left with, after sleep, a brain having a 'reset' molecular profile. During this time, melatonin is also present in the brain which can actually chelate aluminum:

Romero, Alejandro. "A review of metal‐catalyzed molecular damage: protection by melatonin." Journal of pineal research (2014)

I've read two experimental studies on just that, and it does chelate aluminum in vitro. Here is the hypothetical coordination complex:

melatonin.png click to embiggen

And, of course, the well‐known citric acid complex suggests itself:

aluminum citrate.png click to embiggen

Aluminum always has a 3+ charge in solution, matched perfectly by the sum negative charges of citric acid's three carboxyl groups. Citric acid is found in fruit, is derived from glucose, and is then metabolized through its eponymous cycle. I honestly had no idea that it was 'frowned upon on this forum,' which can't be all that accurate since most people here seem unconcerned about it.

Last edited:

Frankdee20

We all have aluminum in our brains, introduced through diet. The best we can all do is eat a low‐aluminum diet with lots of fruit (citric acid) and a regular sleep cycle. This is a good article:

Xie, Lulu. "Sleep drives metabolite clearance from the adult brain." science (2013)

Lulu Xie had discovered increased brain perfusion levels during sleep as the brain's interstices relax and widen. Basically during sleep the cerebospinal fluid bathes the brain, dilutes metabolites, and is then ejected right before awakening (probably the very moment thee raphe nuclei starts firing, releasing vasoconstrictive serotonin). We are all left with, after sleep, a brain having a 'reset' molecular profile. During this time, melatonin is also present in the brain which can actually chelate aluminum:

Romero, Alejandro. "A review of metal‐catalyzed molecular damage: protection by melatonin." Journal of pineal research (2014)

I've read two experimental studies on just that, and it does chelate aluminum in vitro. Here is the hypothetical coordination complex:

View attachment 7522 click to embiggen

And, of course, the well‐known citric acid complex suggests itself:

View attachment 7523 click to embiggen

Aluminum always has a 3+ charge in solution, matched perfectly by the sum negative charges of citric acid's three carboxyl groups. Citric acid is found in fruit, is derived from glucose, and is then metabolized through its eponymous cycle. I honestly had no idea that it was 'frowned upon on this forum,' which can't be all that accurate since most people here seem unconcerned about it.

Frowned upon I guess because Peat suggested it pulling minerals out

cyclops

Tried 3 grams of tyrosine. Felt very weird - odd dreams. Probably too much.

Frankdee20

It turns into thyroid, and adrenal hormones. That dose would be ok in the AM, but headaches can be an issue. That stuff loses effectiveness after a brief stint. Likely from saturation of its transporter

Travis

It turns into thyroid, and adrenal hormones. That dose would be ok in the AM, but headaches can be an issue. That stuff loses effectiveness after a brief stint. Likely from saturation of its transporter
Tyrosine would be expected lower brain serotonin synthesis too, since it's one of the competing amino acids in the Fernstrom Ratio:

Brain Tryptophan = [Try] ÷ [Tyr+Phe+Ile+Leu+Val]

The plasma ratio above predicts brain tryptophan uptake remarkably well. Let me see if I can't find a graph:

fernstrom.png

Ingesting any of these five amino acids will predictably lower brain tryptophan content.

Fernstrom, John D. "Brain serotonin content: physiological regulation by plasma neutral amino acids." Science (1972)

Frankdee20

Then serotonin must have some decent role, even in Peat terms. I’ve tried Tyrosine at only half a gram, it made me so internally restless, internally agitated, and made me ejaculate fast. All of these are low serotonin conditions. So, serotonin isn’t bad in the right context or amounts. I’m playing devils advocate

tomisonbottom

Tyrosine seems increasing dopamine only with help of copper catalase and progesterone... But if you are deficient of tyrosine or hypothyroid plain tyrosine empty stomach seems good and fine to give some boost... Tyrosine with coffee is very good it gives a good high but makes you crash fast as well

How much do you take for that?

tomisonbottom

Glycine for sleep, taurine for relaxation, and lysine for anxiety relief; these are all viable options.

What about l-tyrosine for stimulation? It increases dopamine; so much so that the military used it to promote wakefulness.

Has anyone tried supplementing l-tyrosine for energy? Are there any problems with doing so?

Did you ever try tyrosine?
Just took about 1.5 grams with 3 grams bcaa's and got a good mental attention boost and energy (not on an empty stomach).

I tried Tyrosine, and it has some cool effects, but I don't feel it scales for long term usage.
Phenylalanine seems better, for the following reasons:

1. There is a rate-limiting step in Phenylalanine -> Tyrosine conversion, thus providing more constant and safer release of dopamine.
2. This step is done via one of AAAH enzymes, which also includes tryptophan-5-hydroxylase; thus added Phenylalanine will likely slow down Trypthophan -> Serotonin conversion.
3. Phenylalanine is a precursor to additional phenethylamines that cannot be created from Tyrosine.

Do you take phenylalanine with bcaa's?

Frankdee20

Just took about 1.5 grams with 3 grams bcaa's and got a good mental attention boost and energy (not on an empty stomach).

I’ve not paired Tyrosine with BCAA

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

It led to some agitation. Many amino acids have impurities and are often allergenic.

tomisonbottom

It led to some agitation. Many amino acids have impurities and are often allergenic.

Na man, it was the Tyrosine

Weird....shows how we're all so different.

I tried tyrosine twice now, both times great response, but I'm also making sure to eat plenty of calories.

I'll have to see if it continues but no agitation, but great mood, motivation and a clearer head.

I had tried phenylalanine and didn't have the same effect for some reason.

I did with BCAA's yesterday; today just took straight tyrosine with some eggnog (plenty of calories, fat, and sugar).

Also taking T3, so maybe that's why it doesn't cause agitation for me?

Mauritio

is there a way to not develop an oversaturation and loose the benefits ? how often could one take without loosing the benefits ?

magnesiumania

The text under quotes is from Ray Peat. Sorry if I did not make that fully clear.

"It" in the last sentence refers to L-DOPA because L-DOPA is the last subject in the previous sentence.
So, Ray is saying that L-DOPA is neurotoxic, even though it inhibits TPH -- which is a good thing in itself.

Here's the full article:

Estrogen, Serotonin, Mood, and Aging

He is not refering to the naturally occuring L-dopa in the herb Mucuna Pruriens. I suspect its different to take the herb than a synthetic l-dopa.