L Theanine

catluv59

L theanine definitely helps me sleep but the next morning I seem to feel more toxic. Does anyone know if it increases serotonin or endotoxins in the gut?

sele

Could you elaborate "feel more toxic"?
How much theanine do you take?

OP
C

catluv59

400mg and it's sort of a poisoned sick feeling like from endotoxins. I've seen conflictin info about whether theanine increases serotonin or not. TIA if you find anything

Mito

4.3. Serotonin
Oral intake of theanine which increases plasma theanine to 7763.3+/-3875.4nmol/g (2% of rat drinking water) has failed to significantly influence serotonin concentrations.[1]

10µM/kg injections have failed to significantly influence serotonin levels per se, but have been able to attenuate a caffeine-induced increase in serotonin.[33]

L-Theanine at an oral dose of 2,000-8,000mg/kg in rats (human estimated dose of 320-1280mg/kg) cause a dose dependent increase in brain tryptophan and reduction of serotonin, reaching 20.5% and 15.5% at the highest dose.[34]

Technically has anti-serotonergic mechanisms, but this occurs at a very high dose and likely isn't relevant for standard oral supplementation

Theanine - Scientific Review on Usage, Dosage, Side Effects | Examine.com

OP
C

catluv59

Thanks Moto. I don't know why it makes me feel so much sicker then.

OP
C

catluv59

I've tried jarrow and enzymatic therapy...They both have cellulose and magnesium stearate. Otherwise the ingredients say l theanine. Can the theanine itself, not be pure?

OP
C

catluv59

Thanks Mito. I know l tryptophan increases serotonin so I thought based on the sick feeling I get the next day, l theanine might too but the research seems to not support that. Maybe I'm just sensitive to the theanine.

pboy

i wrote in another topic about theanine but the supps basically are huge amounts that you wouldn't get in tea...even an ounce of tea brewed in a day (which is kind of a lot, think about 14 tea bags) is like at a high theanine relatively tea is like 56mg, and I think the supps are 100-200mg...and also I don't know how the supplements are extracted and what else might be in them. As per tea itself, I think and from what I read theanine sort of puts or guides your mind from stress to more the enriched environment, growing in a harmonious way mindset, which is good, and if in a relatively non stressed state (can be busy but not stressed) you wont really even notice theanine that much, but if in a 'stressed' state it might seem like a sedative (or a 'calming' vibe) because it will potentially compete with the propensity for TSH, more glutamate, cortisol, or just in general ramped up metabolism to meet the stress...which might seem like an irritant (or something welcome depending) but its moreso just a situation that is compelling stress. With good mental management you can basically handle situations like that with or without theanine...course diet helps also and experience. As per waking up feeling more toxic...I don't think that's the theanine itself, it might be lowering stress (signals and things) and if you're in a situation that requires ramped up a bit, it might seem like its making you lethargic, but if I had to guess its not the theanine itself, but might be something related to super high dose or the supplement

OP
C

catluv59

thanks pboy... i think you're right that maybe it's just too high a dose and what i'm feeling could possibly be my liver not clearing it out bc i get the same feeling if i have e ven half a glass of wine or take too many supplements

pboy

you might also just have a different kind of deficiency and theanine is calming against that, that's happened to me in the past also I think. Prolonged stress and or deficiencies can create tense hyper kind of vibes and even if you dont solve the problem theanine can calm things but then you'll see the truth of the state rather than the reactive things the body did which might make you feel more functional but are probably stress reactions. What you feel also might not actually be the theanine you could test it by not taking for a day or two and see if it continues

D

Deleted member 5487

Pboy hit it on the head.

L-Theanines groggy feeling in the morning is very low glutamate/stress which can lead to low blood sugar. Nothing a big cup of coffee can't knock out.

Last edited by a moderator:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals