L-Theanine Side Effects

william

Can someone shine some light on the side-effect I experience using l-Theanine? Last year I started three times with 2 X 200 mg or 4 X 100 mg Theanine. In 3 days I got a choking feeling in the afternoon. A kind of oppression in the chest with a hoarse voice an sometimes loosing my voice. It feels really stressed. What is happening? I am recovering from a burn-out from PTSD. My cortisol and steroid were very low for a period 3 years ago. Cortisol has returned to normal. For the steroids I use Pansterone.

Drareg

I think we came to the conclusion on here that no more than 200mg is enough per day, if you search the forum with similar key words via google the thread may come up.
Some had negative experiences with it but when they reduced the does they got the positives.

It has to do with its effects with gaba, there is a bell curve effect, a sweet spot when it comes to gaba,just the right amount of substance creates the calming effect/resistance to stimulation,too much and you get the opposite effect making things worse.
Different substances have differing effects with gaba and then you need to add in individual sensitivities.

pboy

I'm not 100% sure but I think the 100-200mg is kind of a way high dose...if using tea even a high amount you usually wouldn't intentionally get that much. I think its either something that can have side effects (and I don't know the difference from it being in tea or extracted version) or its like really good, so good it can make people 'check out' of their controlled bs stress and want to live in a real state...I don't think it makes lazy per se but it might put you in a state of an 'enriched' environment or a safe feeling, which can be or is huge, but if your life requires the typical 9 to 5 or basic stress and a lot of people that are distrespectful and or just hammering not really intelligent and having a more bigger harmonious perspective, it can 'leave you vulnerable' but it also can make you tough and draw a gap between how things could be or should be and are, which can compel change. I still haven't figured it out 100% but I notice that I don't even notice theanine even in high amounts of tea but then if like life gets all bound up in time energy burden and all that then its like at times I questioned if it was 'making lazy' or some kind of gaba thing but I don't think that's it...I think it might just attempt to resist over exicted nerves and if a situation compels that in life it might seem like its holding you back

Drareg

I'm not 100% sure but I think the 100-200mg is kind of a way high dose...if using tea even a high amount you usually wouldn't intentionally get that much. I think its either something that can have side effects (and I don't know the difference from it being in tea or extracted version) or its like really good, so good it can make people 'check out' of their controlled bs stress and want to live in a real state...I don't think it makes lazy per se but it might put you in a state of an 'enriched' environment or a safe feeling, which can be or is huge, but if your life requires the typical 9 to 5 or basic stress and a lot of people that are distrespectful and or just hammering not really intelligent and having a more bigger harmonious perspective, it can 'leave you vulnerable' but it also can make you tough and draw a gap between how things could be or should be and are, which can compel change. I still haven't figured it out 100% but I notice that I don't even notice theanine even in high amounts of tea but then if like life gets all bound up in time energy burden and all that then its like at times I questioned if it was 'making lazy' or some kind of gaba thing but I don't think that's it...I think it might just attempt to resist over exicted nerves and if a situation compels that in life it might seem like its holding you back

Doesn't time slow down when metabolism is more "coherent", didn't Peat mention something along those lines ? You process at a pace closer to the environment making it appear time is slower?

pboy

I'm not sure what peat said but for sure a less stressed state makes time seem slower, and as if like how did I do so much and only that amount time passed...I noticed that with cannabis a while back and then maybe theanine can play a part in that

Mossy

I thought it may be helpful to note that a low dose of theanine (25mg+-) caused excitatory effects for me. This motivated me to search this out, and I stumbled upon a PubMed abstract stating just that:

"...the excitatory effects were shown in the rat i.v. administered 1 and 2 micromol/kg (0.174 and 0.348 mg/kg) b.w. of theanine alone. These results suggested two effects of theanine, depending on its concentration."
Inhibiting effects of theanine on caffeine stimulation evaluated by EEG in the rat. - PubMed - NCBI

Waynish

To add an experience: I can drink huge amounts of tea without side effects. But "suntheanine" with or without coffee makes me crash harder than any other supplement I can remember. I'm fit and can go long periods without eating - and I usually eat lots just to fuel what seems to be a high metabolism. My primary health issue is Celiac's.

Waynish

Also, I wouldn't go with this attitude that "if this supplement isn't working in me like it does in others, then the supplement is good and I am bad." There are so many reports of negative side effects with Theanine - I think it is misunderstood:
Brain fog from l-theanine • r/Nootropics
Very weird reaction to L-Theanine and Ashwagandha • r/Nootropics
Green tea reduces stress and anxiety and puts a bounce in my step, but L-Theanine (with or without coffee) seems to give me more anxiety. Why might this be? • r/Nootropics
L-Theanine makes me feel unmotivated, lazy, and sad up to 20 hours after dosing • r/Nootropics

So many people get the same reaction to even low doses of it that it may be useful as a test - like the "GABA challenge." We should put out more warnings based on this - since I believe it has been granted undue credibility and praise.

raypeatclips

I felt really really weird after taking theanine. It was almost 2 years ago so don't remember the exact dose but I experienced depersonalisation/derealization which was uncomfortable and pretty scary at the time. Lasted something like 36-48 hours.

D

Deleted member 5487

Can someone shine some light on the side-effect I experience using l-Theanine? Last year I started three times with 2 X 200 mg or 4 X 100 mg Theanine. In 3 days I got a choking feeling in the afternoon. A kind of oppression in the chest with a hoarse voice an sometimes loosing my voice. It feels really stressed. What is happening? I am recovering from a burn-out from PTSD. My cortisol and steroid were very low for a period 3 years ago. Cortisol has returned to normal. For the steroids I use Pansterone.

It tanks cortisol, Which will increase hisatmine and close your throat up.

It lowers brain sertonin and cortisol increasing metabolism. It can actually make you skinny. But if you have allergies/gut allergies and tank cortisol your body will act up. Drink it with strong coffee, always have a benadryl on hand