L-Theanine MYSTERIOUS Effects On Libido

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
Hey all,
It has been some time since I've been meaning to make a post on L-Theanine and it's harsh effects on male sexual function.
I amongst many (on reddit) have found an extreme paradoxical reaction to L-Theanine (same case with ashwagandha) on erectile function.

Let me explain.

I have re-run this experiment over 5 times now to see if it produces the same result, and it has been consistent.

L-Theanine (Suntheanine) brand does this to me every single time.
-Ultra strong reduction in anxiety and significant improvement in thought processes
-I notice muscle spasms around my eye-lids, stomach and even perineum region.
-Strange effect urinating/unfinished urination
-NUMB P****
-Ultra elated mood, but zero sexual drive/arousal.

Now whoever can help me figure this out, I will be extremely grateful.

I am suspecting the following possibilities:
-L-Theanine suppresses DHT, but hasn't been discovered yet
-L-Theanine blocks histamine so much that it results in zero arousal
-L-Theanine blocks Glutamate so much that it results in zero arousal
-L-Theanine causes 5ht1a receptor agonism?
-L-Theanine drops prolactin too much?
-L-Theanine might have some sort of undiscovered hormonal effect.
-L-Theanine might be causing sphincter dysregulation?

Thanks!

ddjd

It's definitely Serotonin/histamine/Adrenaline lowering. Those three are so closely connected.

OP
Lokzo

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
It's definitely Serotonin/histamine/Adrenaline lowering. Those three are so closely connected.
Thanks for the input. I also suspected these 3 play an intimate role. Perhaps the histamine lowering effect is the cause? I have pure Histidine on standby here... maybe I should dose L-Theanine and then 3 hours later try using L-Hisitidine...?

OP
Lokzo

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
How much are you taking?
I used it anywhere from 100mg-300mg. I am too scared to even touch it again now... But if it's for science, then I'll do it for everyone. I just desperately want to understand the exact mechanism behind it... so that I can offset it. Because Theanine is a star performer for my level of mental capacity/social confidence.

ilikecats

@Lokzo nope. I just moved on, forgot about it. People forget that isolated aminos can be problematic and peat never has recommended them. Sure he’s written about Theanine but that doesn’t mean he recommends it.

Mito

Theanine - Scientific Review on Usage, Dosage, Side Effects

4.1. Kinetics and Mechanisms

Theanine has been found to cross the blood brain barier, as systemic injections[20] and oral intake[21] can increase brain concentrations of the compound which appears to be mediated via the leucine-preferring transport system[22] (the neutral amino acid transport[23]).

Following oral intake L-theanine reaches the brain within an hour and is elevated up to 5 hours, which it then proceeds to get eliminated ultimately having no concentrations left at 24 hours post oral intake (4,000mg/kg).[21] The concentrations reaching the brain at this oral dose are around 2µM/g[21] and serum concentrations in this study peaked at above 12.5µM/mL within an hour, and were reduced to similar concentrations as the brain at 16 hours.[21]

Specific brain organs that have been shown to have increases in theanine concentration following oral intake include the hippocampus.[24]

4.2. Catecholamines
Dopamine and noradrenaline do not appear to be significantly influenced with oral intake of theanine in rats (2% of drinking water, sufficient to increas plasma theanine to 7763.3+/-3875.4nmol/g) over 3 weeks.[1]

Direct injections of theanine into the striarum also cause dose-dependent increases in dopamine secretion for 40 minutes before returning to baseline.[22]

10µM/kg injections of theanine have been noted to reduce noradrenaline by 16% and 9% at 30 and 75 minutes, respectively; this was abolished with coadministration of caffeine.[33]

4.3. Serotonin
Oral intake of theanine which increases plasma theanine to 7763.3+/-3875.4nmol/g (2% of rat drinking water) has failed to significantly influence serotonin concentrations.[1]

10µM/kg injections have failed to significantly influence serotonin levels per se, but have been able to attenuate a caffeine-induced increase in serotonin.[33]

L-Theanine at an oral dose of 2,000-8,000mg/kg in rats (human estimated dose of 320-1280mg/kg) cause a dose dependent increase in brain tryptophan and reduction of serotonin, reaching 20.5% and 15.5% at the highest dose.[34]

Technically has anti-serotonergic mechanisms, but this occurs at a very high dose and likely isn't relevant for standard oral supplementation

4.4. GABAergic mechanisms
Injections of theanine (30µM/kg only; 15µM/kg being ineffective and all doses higher than 30µM/kg being ineffective) have been found to increase cerebral concentrations of GABA by 19.8% following.[20]

Conversely, 4% L-theanine in the drinking water of rats has been noted to reduce extracellular GABA in the frontal cortex.

4.5. Glutaminergic mechanisms
L-Theanine has been found to have affinity for all three glutamate receptor subsets with IC50 and Ki values (respectively) of 24.6+/-0.9µM/19.2+/-0.7µM (AMPA), 41.5+/-7.6µM/29.3+/-5.4µM (Kainate), and 347+/-47µM/329+/-44µM (NMDA); these were 80-30,000 fold less potent than the endogenous ligand L-glutamate.[35]

Theanine has been found to accumulate in glutaminergic neurons (via two mechanisms with KM values of 42.3μM and 1.88mM) with at least one being the glutamine transporter, as the two amino acids compete for uptake (glutamine inhibits with an IC50 of 329.2+/-59.5μM while the opposite inhibition is weaker, at greater than 1,000μM).[36] It has been noted that incubation with 1-10mM theanine was able to also suppress extracellular glutamate concentrations.[36]

johnwester130

It certainly does something. It's difficult to find a comparison.

Maybe low dose LSD ? Maybe alcohol ? Maybe phenibut ? It is strange stuff.

It also increases empathy and depression a bit too , which I don't like.

Peater

Really interesting link paymanz

I wonder if theanine would be useful with 'nofap'

milk_lover

I quit taking isolated amino acids like taurine, theanine, and lysine except only one supplement which is glycine. Taurine gives me bad skin and chubby lips. Lysine makes me retain water in my body. Theanine is not as powerful as I thought. It just makes me meh and not at my best. Glycine is the only isolated amino acid I think that's worth supplementing especially if you eat steaks and muscle meats at restaurants.

OP
Lokzo

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
It certainly does something. It's difficult to find a comparison.

Maybe low dose LSD ? Maybe alcohol ? Maybe phenibut ? It is strange stuff.

It also increases empathy and depression a bit too , which I don't like.

Yeah my empathy was enhanced like 3-fold on theanine. Today I tried L-Histidine to test whether Theanine's arousal reducing effect is due to low histamine, but sadly it has had no effect.

OP
Lokzo

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
I quit taking isolated amino acids like taurine, theanine, and lysine except only one supplement which is glycine. Taurine gives me bad skin and chubby lips. Lysine makes me retain water in my body. Theanine is not as powerful as I thought. It just makes me meh and not at my best. Glycine is the only isolated amino acid I think that's worth supplementing especially if you eat steaks and muscle meats at restaurants.
I might start back on Glycine before bed. Thanks for the friendly reminder aha

milk_lover

I might start back on Glycine before bed. Thanks for the friendly reminder aha
When you say theanine makes you lose libido, is it because of the NUMB **** you get from it? When I was taking it long time ago, I don't remember specifically it affected my libido, maybe in the first week it increased my dopamine and made me horny but that didn't last long mind you.

OP
Lokzo

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
It just diminishes ALL sensations in the brain and P****. Even days after, I feel like the orgasm intensity is substantially reduced. Honestly can't figure out a way to normalise myself because we still don't know the mechanism of action.