L-Theanine MYSTERIOUS Effects On Libido

nomoreketones

Just found this thread. It's been a couple years since I tried it but L-Theanine had a negative effect on my boners too. Green tea had a negative effect too. I didn't record dosages so I can't provide that here.

OP
Lokzo

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
Just found this thread. It's been a couple years since I tried it but L-Theanine had a negative effect on my boners too. Green tea had a negative effect too. I didn't record dosages so I can't provide that here.

Wow, another guy affected. We still don't understand the mechanism of action. I'm waiting for more research papers. Is it possible the 5-HT1a receptor was involved?!

Beefcake

Thanks for the input. I also suspected these 3 play an intimate role. Perhaps the histamine lowering effect is the cause? I have pure Histidine on standby here... maybe I should dose L-Theanine and then 3 hours later try using L-Hisitidine...?

I think if it’s really adrenaline blocking it might be the cause. I thought a certain degree of adrenaline is needed for arousal as in arousal increases heart rate a little. Without this type of arousal you’re just chill and dont really get any response.

OP
Lokzo

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
I think if it’s really adrenaline blocking it might be the cause. I thought a certain degree of adrenaline is needed for arousal as in arousal increases heart rate a little. Without this type of arousal you’re just chill and dont really get any response.

Hmmm maybe this is the rebound that I crave when Cyproheptadine wears off?!

BigChad

what are your thoughts on this then? I was thinking of doing sports research 200mg of suntheanine just 3 days a week. I was also going to add in taurine, olive leaf extract and ashwaganda.

BigChad

wikipedia says theanine raises serotonin, dopamine, glycine and gaba. it seems to vary individually, and maybe by dosage/diet, whether it raises or lowers serotonin. i got some suntheanine but idk if its worth trying now.

Mito

wikipedia says theanine raises serotonin, dopamine, glycine and gaba. it seems to vary individually, and maybe by dosage/diet, whether it raises or lowers serotonin. i got some suntheanine but idk if its worth trying now.

L-Theanine: Scientific review on benefits, anxiet, dosage, side effects
665883D8-8364-4D1F-A8F1-FC2259ECC708.jpeg

Inaut

I’m blaming theanine for weak erections and weaker libido. For me, if I’m going to a social event, it’s great but doesn’t help for closing “deals”..

I think this one is staying on the shelf

BigChad

I’m blaming theanine for weak erections and weaker libido. For me, if I’m going to a social event, it’s great but doesn’t help for closing “deals”..

I think this one is staying on the shelf
What dosage regimen were you using. What mechanisms behind theanine would cause this

Inaut

200-500mg once daily. I’ve taken it shortly before (an hour or two before intimacy) and have found that I don’t perform optimally during the course of the night. My last two engagements start off sup par. It’s only into the next morning that things start working again. Erections aren’t as full and it’s harder to maintain as well.

BigChad

200-500mg once daily. I’ve taken it shortly before (an hour or two before intimacy) and have found that I don’t perform optimally during the course of the night. My last two engagements start off sup par. It’s only into the next morning that things start working again. Erections aren’t as full and it’s harder to maintain as well.

200mg is the max dose per day, i thought. I was thinking of doing 200mg suntheanine 3x a week but not sure

Inaut

I think theanine is good for social outings or stressful events eg. exams; public speaking etc. I’m just going to avoid taking it on days when I know I’m going to be intimate.

BigChad

I think theanine is good for social outings or stressful events eg. exams; public speaking etc. I’m just going to avoid taking it on days when I know I’m going to be intimate.

Did you note improved digestion, anti histamine benefits. Supposedly its anti histamine and reduces gut serotonin

GreekDemiGod

L-theanine --> GABA agonism --> Lowered cortisol --> Reduced hypersexual response
If I am getting reduced hypersexual response from peating in-general, what would you suggest I take / adopt?
The problem is that GABA-agonists also leave me low eenrgy, and I'struggling with energy.

I have both anxiety and low energy. What should I take to feel both energetic & relaxed?

DaveFoster

If I am getting reduced hypersexual response from peating in-general, what would you suggest I take / adopt?
The problem is that GABA-agonists also leave me low eenrgy, and I'struggling with energy.

I have both anxiety and low energy. What should I take to feel both energetic & relaxed?
I can't give medical advice, and that's a difficult question to answer. Hypothyroidism tends to increase anxiety and also symptoms of fatigue, bringing about a state of paralysis. Supplementing thyroid hormone would correct the deficiency, but some combinations of stimulants and depressants might have overlapping effects: progesterone in vitamin E administered together with sugared coffee, for instance. Higher dosages of aspirin have effects resembling that of low-dose fluoxetine (Prozac).

sladerunner69

Hey all,
It has been some time since I've been meaning to make a post on L-Theanine and it's harsh effects on male sexual function.
I amongst many (on reddit) have found an extreme paradoxical reaction to L-Theanine (same case with ashwagandha) on erectile function.

Let me explain.

I have re-run this experiment over 5 times now to see if it produces the same result, and it has been consistent.

L-Theanine (Suntheanine) brand does this to me every single time.
-Ultra strong reduction in anxiety and significant improvement in thought processes
-I notice muscle spasms around my eye-lids, stomach and even perineum region.
-Strange effect urinating/unfinished urination
-NUMB P****
-Ultra elated mood, but zero sexual drive/arousal.

Now whoever can help me figure this out, I will be extremely grateful.

I am suspecting the following possibilities:
-L-Theanine suppresses DHT, but hasn't been discovered yet
-L-Theanine blocks histamine so much that it results in zero arousal
-L-Theanine blocks Glutamate so much that it results in zero arousal
-L-Theanine causes 5ht1a receptor agonism?
-L-Theanine drops prolactin too much?
-L-Theanine might have some sort of undiscovered hormonal effect.
-L-Theanine might be causing sphincter dysregulation?

Thanks!

L-theanine --> GABA agonism --> Lowered cortisol --> Reduced hypersexual response

Dave is 100% correct, in my opinion. I have had similar effects for years taking GABA agonists like Theanine, Gelatin, Magnesium, Androsterone, progesterone and they have this effect to some degree. Unfortunately the libido is fundamentally connected to stress hormones like cortisol and estrogen, and the response curve is very much U shaped. Too much and you will feel depressed, anxious, weak, tired and be unhealthy. If you try to hard to stimulate GABA and lower estrogen you will feel mostly fine, and have good thought processes, but he unemotional and have little to no libido.

sladerunner69

Try supplementing thyroid hormone, or taking androgens like dhea or androsterone. DHEA works wonders for me. You can also try intermittent fasting because the reality is that some of us feel better with a little more.cortisol.

OP
Lokzo

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
Dave is 100% correct, in my opinion. I have had similar effects for years taking GABA agonists like Theanine, Gelatin, Magnesium, Androsterone, progesterone and they have this effect to some degree. Unfortunately the libido is fundamentally connected to stress hormones like cortisol and estrogen, and the response curve is very much U shaped. Too much and you will feel depressed, anxious, weak, tired and be unhealthy. If you try to hard to stimulate GABA and lower estrogen you will feel mostly fine, and have good thought processes, but he unemotional and have little to no libido.

This is spot on!!!!

Any sedative/anxiolytic that allows one to be less emotional, also seems to suppress that compulsive/heightened/thrill type of libido that we all enjoy.

How do you respond to Cyproheptadine??

Beastmode

Usually people on this forum report that lowering cortisol is generally useful for improving libido...?

T3 did this to me for about 4 days when I first took it. I was running on stress hormones so much, with a high libido, that when my cortisol dropped drastically, I got to see what was really driving my "strong" sex drive. After about of week starting T3, I started to gain a healthy sex drive that's only gotten stronger over the past 4 years.

L-Theanine (100 mg) gives me a calming effect, but doesn't impact my sex drive. I only started using it so I wonder if I would've gotten a similar response if I took it back then before T3.