L-theanine inhibits foam cell formation via promoting the scavenger receptor A degradation

Mito

Abstract​

Atherosclerosis is one of the most common cardiovascular diseases with highly mortality worldwide. The formation of foam cell plays an important role in the early stage of atherosclerosis pathogenesis. L-theanine is the most abundant free amino acid in tea, which possesses anti-inflammatory, anti-tumor and anti-atherosclerosis effects. However, little is known about the effects of L-theanine on the foam cell formation. In our study, RAW264.7 cells and primary mouse peritoneal macrophages were exposed to oxidized low density lipoprotein (ox-LDL) for inducing foam cell formation. We found that L-theanine significantly impeded cholesterol accumulation in macrophages, while inhibiting the formation of foam cell. Our further experiments showed that L-theanine attenuated the cholesterol uptake of RAW264.7 cells and primary mouse peritoneal macrophages by reducing the protein level of macrophage scavenger receptor A (SR-A), but not the level of mRNA suggesting that L-theanine regulates scavenger receptor A at the translational rather than transcriptional level. The present results demonstrated that L-theanine obviously promoted the degradation of scavenger receptor A protein and scavenger receptor A was degraded by ubiquitination dependent manner. Collectively, our research indicates that L-theanine suppresses the formation of macrophage foam cell by promoting the ubiquitination dependent degradation of scavenger receptor A.

yerrag

Abstract​

Atherosclerosis is one of the most common cardiovascular diseases with highly mortality worldwide. The formation of foam cell plays an important role in the early stage of atherosclerosis pathogenesis. L-theanine is the most abundant free amino acid in tea, which possesses anti-inflammatory, anti-tumor and anti-atherosclerosis effects. However, little is known about the effects of L-theanine on the foam cell formation. In our study, RAW264.7 cells and primary mouse peritoneal macrophages were exposed to oxidized low density lipoprotein (ox-LDL) for inducing foam cell formation. We found that L-theanine significantly impeded cholesterol accumulation in macrophages, while inhibiting the formation of foam cell. Our further experiments showed that L-theanine attenuated the cholesterol uptake of RAW264.7 cells and primary mouse peritoneal macrophages by reducing the protein level of macrophage scavenger receptor A (SR-A), but not the level of mRNA suggesting that L-theanine regulates scavenger receptor A at the translational rather than transcriptional level. The present results demonstrated that L-theanine obviously promoted the degradation of scavenger receptor A protein and scavenger receptor A was degraded by ubiquitination dependent manner. Collectively, our research indicates that L-theanine suppresses the formation of macrophage foam cell by promoting the ubiquitination dependent degradation of scavenger receptor A.

Thank you.

Seems like a good habit to drink tea. I drank a lot one time, and my teeth became yellow though. Maybe I overdid it.

Thank you.

Seems like a good habit to drink tea. I drank a lot one time, and my teeth became yellow though. Maybe I overdid it.
I used to drink a lot of tea. Loved the taste of it, especially green tea. I stopped mostly because of the fluoride, but I'm thinking about going back to it, this time with some boron in each cup to negate that negative side. I find theanine powder very good too, but it doesn't replace tea completely.

yerrag

I used to drink a lot of tea. Loved the taste of it, especially green tea. I stopped mostly because of the fluoride, but I'm thinking about going back to it, this time with some boron in each cup to negate that negative side. I find theanine powder very good too, but it doesn't replace tea completely.
Makes all the more sense to have tea accompany the greasy fried rice and noodles of Chinese food. Would be nice to have Chinese restaurants that use refined coconut oil for stir-frying and hydrogenated coconut oil for deep-frying.