L-Histidine Makes Me Feel Like SUPERMAN

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
I'm not sure why L-Histidine is rarely discussed, or either I've been suffering from Low Histamine levels for many years, but everytime I use small amounts (<500mg) of L-Histidine, I get substantial improvements
in:
-Bowel movements/frequency
-Motivational/can-do attitude, less overthinking and less procrastinating (Similar to Modafinil, minus the side effects).
-Libido
-Strength/Pump/Vasodilation.

Recently stacked this with Niacin (<40mg), and the pro-histamine effect is definitely noticeable.

The only minor issue I notice is that falling asleep is a little tricky, but simple natural anti-histamines always help me out.

Does anyone see any drastic negatives with using this ESSENTIAL Amino Acid.

NathanK

I compiled over a month a bunch of compelling pro histamine studies into a post a couple years ago, but forgot to publish and lost it unfortunately.

I looked into histidine based on my history of allergies and the prevailing forum sentiment, particularly when it came to omitting the AA in the revised MAP supplement, that histidine is bad and that Ray thought it one of the “bad” AA.

Surprisingly, I found that histidine had many positives attributes and in fact is often used to combat allergies. Also, from what I found, Ray has never spoken poorly of the substance and only once mentioned it in a neutral manner. I think it’s worth experimenting and does not deserve the reputation given by some here.

I personally played with it during hay fever season, until I added the remainder of my bag to my own MAP mix, and it has never given me issues. As you mentioned, it’s popularly used to also increase libido.

Histidine does not equate to increased histamine, but if you are getting a “modafonil” and difficulty sleeping effect from your dosage then it does seem to imply an increase. Then again, niacin absolutely increases histamine.

Lucenzo01

Histidine is extremey good to increase stomach acid. It's one of those nutrients that a little deficiency can create a vicious cycle. I will try soon and report back.

griesburner

anyone still taking l-histidine? I will try a small amount tomorrow to see how it affects me, cause i think i am low in histamine (most of the symptoms of histapenia).

Koveras

I'm not sure why L-Histidine is rarely discussed, or either I've been suffering from Low Histamine levels for many years, but everytime I use small amounts (<500mg) of L-Histidine, I get substantial improvements
in:
-Motivational/can-do attitude, less overthinking and less procrastinating (Similar to Modafinil, minus the side effects).
-Libido

Recently stacked this with Niacin (<40mg), and the pro-histamine effect is definitely noticeable.

The only minor issue I notice is that falling asleep is a little tricky, but simple natural anti-histamines always help me out.

L-Histidine can deplete zinc rapidly IIRC - maybe @Amazoniac has some more information?

Vinero

If you need anti-histamines to combat the excessive stimulation/wakefulness from taking l-histidine, your probably creating imbalances.
I think histamine is a fight-or-flight hormone, just like adrenaline.
I once took an anti-histamine and got very drowsy and sleepy.
Estrogen, the shock hormone, expresses it's excitotoxic effects mainly in increasing the production of glutamate, nitric oxide, acetylcholine, and histamine.

Travis

in:
-Libido

This is interesting. Of all the chemical explanations for schizophrenia, I think high histamine best fits the evidence. I'm not saying this is a bad thing; schizophrenics can be many things—'delusional,' hypochondriac, 'paranoid,' hyperactive, 'loquacious,' et.c.—but they certainly aren't dim. I think histamine can give a person tremendous drive, and is responsible for what Abram Hoffer had attributed to adrenochrome.

I think it would be interesting if you'd buy tyrosine so you can compare directly the effects of the histamine precursor vs the dopamine precursor.

But in all the rat studies that I'd read on histamine, there's a consistent trend of 'reduced learning.' But even this can be disputed since 'learning' is rats is often just 'shock-avoidance,' ' platform latency,' or some such thing; not all experimenters use a test that accurately gauges the meaning of the word, although rat performance in the radial arm maze was found inversely correlated.

But as one of the primary neurotransmitters in the brain, it does seem 100% essential. Histamine is created in the tuberomamillary nucleus which extends projections throughout nearly the entire brain—similar to the serotonergic raphe nucleus. Also like serotonin, histamine is produced both in specialized neurons in the brain and released by mast cells in the periphery.

One of these days I am going to buy tryptophan, tyrosine, and histidine so I can get a better feel for their respective neurotransmitter products.

Travis

Eh? L-histidine is the precursor to Histamine....
And as such, any increase in histamine concentration would necessarily decrease that of its precursor (in the absence of food intake of course).

griesburner

Seems to me like histamine should be balanced and not supressed too far.

A Key Regulatory Role for Histamine in Experimental Autoimmune Encephalomyelitis: Disease Exacerbation in Histidine Decarboxylase-Deficient Mice
This study shows that histamine could be anti-inflammatory in autoimmune diseases.

Histidine supplementation improves insulin resistance through suppressed inflammation in obese women with the metabolic syndrome: a randomised controlled trial
This study shows general health effects of l-histidine as a safe supplement to me.

But what im curious about is the question wether l-histidine really does increase or decrease histamine levels. Or maybe as a precurser it balances histamine levels automatically? Cause i read many times that people take l-histidine for allergy relief.

Ras

We should be careful not to conflate histidine with histamine, as if intake of histidine always leads to more histamine, unless evidence suggests it does. Surely it isn't always so, nor linear, if ever.

Vinero

We should be careful not to conflate histidine with histamine, as if intake of histidine always leads to more histamine, unless evidence suggests it does. Surely it isn't always so, nor linear, if ever.
This is true. This reminds me of nitric oxide and it's precursor l-arginine.
In sepsis large amounts of nitric oxide are produced, from arginine, which leads to a arginine deficiency.
Since arginine is the only precursor to nitric oxide. Other important functions of arginine are reduced, such as detoxifying ammonia.
If there is a lot of inflammation present, with overproduction of histamine from histidine, then a functional histidine deficiency may arise.
With all other functions histidine plays in the body functioning suboptimally.

Travis

I did look into this, and it appears to follow Fernstom style mechanics—in the brain—and depends on its own competitors across the blood–brain barrier. I know that valine, leucine, isoleucine, tyrosine, and phenylalanine compete with serotonin, but I cannot remember the competitors for histamine.

I also know that histamine has another small-molecule product called urocanic acid, which is our major 'sunscreen molecule' besides melanin. It absorbs strongly in the UV range and some researchers explain the skin damage in zinc deficiency as a result of this. They apparently think zinc complexes with histamine in the body and helps to distribute it, which seems kinda reasonable I suppose: zinc does complex with the very similar picolinate, pyridoxal, and kryptopyrrole.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom