L Glutamine thoughts

froot1s

Hello guys. I've been taking l glutamine for leaky gut purposes, started 2 months ago to take 15-25 grams per day. Noticed good improvements in gut and generally digestive systems(less coated tongue, almost non-white like is fully clear, probiotic-like effect, less gut sensivity, prognosed stool)

but immediately i had external hemorrhoids, i thought that is coincidence, and dont even suspected that is glutamine takin can be.

2 months and hemorrhoids went worse... trombosed.And im noticed that when im taking 5 grams of glutamine , hemorrhoid vein immediately(30 mins) start to grow, like is very high blood flow/pressure.
And im stopped to take glutamine and hemorrhoid almost immediately disappeared. No vein-growing effect, only small trombosed red-mark left.

Two weeks passed, hemorrhoids not disturbing, and im started to take terra bone broth powder, just one dose of 24 gramms protein per day, 5 days... and hemorrhoid returned.

What is that? How that can be explained? except for hemoorhoids i have no side effects of glutamine , only improvements.

HeyThere

Could be 2 main things, or both:

- Dehydration.

- Glutamate is an excitatory, thus raising blood pressure.

GTW

Read elsewhere, swallow 5-10 whole black pepper corns for hemorrhoids.
Zinc carnosine, NAG (acetylated glutamine) at much lower dose...

GTW

Glutamate vs glutamine, not the same but common confusion.

HeyThere

Glutamate vs glutamine, not the same but common confusion.

"Glutamate is made in the body's central nervous system (CNS) through the synthesis of glutamine, a glutamate precursor, meaning it comes before and indicates the approach of glutamate. This process is known as the glutamate-glutamine cycle."

It's amazing how many times people "school" me around here and in actuality it's me that has to school them.

GTW

"Glutamate is made in the body's central nervous system (CNS) through the synthesis of glutamine, a glutamate precursor, meaning it comes before and indicates the approach of glutamate. This process is known as the glutamate-glutamine cycle."

It's amazing how many times people "school" me around here and in actuality it's me that has to school them.
Come again? Despite your factoid, ingesting glutamine does not have the same effect as ingesting excitotoxic glutamate px msg. In metabolism there is self regulation.
Dose, host, timing and combinations make a poison or a cure. Paracelsus

HeyThere

Come again? Despite your factoid, ingesting glutamine does not have the same effect as ingesting excitotoxic glutamate px msg. In metabolism there is self regulation.
Dose, host, timing and combinations make a poison or a cure. Paracelsus

False.

Have a nice day.

P.S. Some people, like myself, don't convert Glutamine into GABA, instead it remains an excitatory.

GTW

Glutamate is the excitotoxin. Glutamine too when converted to glutamate.
Beta hydroxybutyrate is converted to ketone, a fraction exists in that form.
Glucose ring opens to become reactive aldehyde. A fraction exists in that form.
Back to the beginning, 20, 15, even 5 gm glutamine may evidently be problematic. Act according to the evidence, not to mechanistic reductionist hypothesis.

OP
F

froot1s

- Dehydration.

i've been thinking about this. Last one means.

few times i even did a pressure test - everything is ok - 120/70.
when im start training table tennis, blood flow rises and hemorrhoids got worse... but right after relax, decrease.
the same when im consumed 5 grams of glutamine, 30 mins and hemorrhoid vein swells like in 2-3 times.

But dunno. As i said pressure is 120/70 always..

OP
F

froot1s

Back to the beginning, 20, 15, even 5 gm glutamine may evidently be problematic.
yep, this is right.. i do observe it right now, even taking protein bone broth powder again woke hemorrhoids up.

OP
F

froot1s

- Dehydration.

So in that case, what is my next step?
For now im - stopped glutamine, from today stopped any protein powders, less milk

Taking additionally to base supplements(two-per day life extension, d3-k2, magnesium, something for liver cleanse, vitamin c)
taurine 1 gram when wake up
glycine 1-2 grams before sleep

Anything to add?

HeyThere

So in that case, what is my next step?
For now im - stopped glutamine, from today stopped any protein powders, less milk

Taking additionally to base supplements(two-per day life extension, d3-k2, magnesium, something for liver cleanse, vitamin c)
taurine 1 gram when wake up
glycine 1-2 grams before sleep

Anything to add?

Vitamin C is also a diuretic, so be mindful.

Just make sure your electrolytes are in proper levels.

thetaflow

Glutamate is the excitotoxin. Glutamine too when converted to glutamate.
Beta hydroxybutyrate is converted to ketone, a fraction exists in that form.
Glucose ring opens to become reactive aldehyde. A fraction exists in that form.
Back to the beginning, 20, 15, even 5 gm glutamine may evidently be problematic. Act according to the evidence, not to mechanistic reductionist hypothesis.
How is 10 grams of l glutamine problematic?

brightside

False.

Have a nice day.

P.S. Some people, like myself, don't convert Glutamine into GABA, instead it remains an excitatory.
I don’t have any particular opinion on your discussion, but damn, thats some scientific insight you got there..

Is this considered “schooling”? Adamant statements like that? I suppose it makes sense, since thats how school generally is lol.

HeyThere

I don’t have any particular opinion on your discussion, but damn, thats some scientific insight you got there..

Is this considered “schooling”? Adamant statements like that? I suppose it makes sense, since thats how school generally is lol.

That person won't believe anything *I* say anyways, so at least I spent my time leading him to go research for himself.

LadyRae

I used to take l-glutamine powder a lot when I was recovering from veganism and the resulting sibo- like symptoms.

It felt really good on my stomach and my digestion improved considerably although it took a year or two. Never caused me any anxiety or excitability issues.

I don't take it anymore though... Not because I don't think it worked or because it's bad, but I just don't think I need it anymore.

OP
F

froot1s

I used to take l-glutamine powder a lot when I was recovering from veganism and the resulting sibo- like symptoms.

It felt really good on my stomach and my digestion improved considerably although it took a year or two. Never caused me any anxiety or excitability issues.

I don't take it anymore though... Not because I don't think it worked or because it's bad, but I just don't think I need it anymore.
yep thats exactly what ive been talkin about, i noticed veeery good improvement in digestion system generally, not only gut, but gut is mostly. But that hemorrhoid side effect... make me sad that i cannot continue take glutamine for digestion purposes

bookshelf

This is reassuring to me, thank you for sharing. My NP has prescribed a stint on L-glutamine (not long term, not indefinite - probably a couple months altogether) to aid in some healing. I don’t think introducing it for a short period will cause adverse effects or usher in any horrible conditions (like are outlined throughout the forum). Your insight gave me some hope.