L-Glutamine And Long Term Effects

AS44

I haven’t been able to find information about the safety of l-glutamine. I take 500mg as soon as I wake up and it certainly helps me relax throughout the day, seems to help my hypoglycemia and most importantly, it helps me become non-reactive to daily stress. Basically, it feels like a non-zombie-ish xanax which I've come to realize I need because I get very irritated and anxious from the time I wake up until 3ish.

However, if I take more than 500mg, it has the opposite effect which literally turns me into a crazy person.

Ray Peat-ers say l-glutamine is bad for you, increases cortisol and feeds cancer but other Doctors say it’s great. Any further information on the safety of this supplement and long term effects?

Lutzzy

The dietary sources of glutamine includes especially the protein-rich foods like beef, chicken, fish, dairy products, eggs, vegetables like beans, beets, cabbage, spinach, carrots, parsley, vegetable juices and also in wheat, papaya, brussel sprouts, celery, kale and fermented foods like miso.

Frankdee20

I haven’t been able to find information about the safety of l-glutamine. I take 500mg as soon as I wake up and it certainly helps me relax throughout the day, seems to help my hypoglycemia and most importantly, it helps me become non-reactive to daily stress. Basically, it feels like a non-zombie-ish xanax which I've come to realize I need because I get very irritated and anxious from the time I wake up until 3ish.

However, if I take more than 500mg, it has the opposite effect which literally turns me into a crazy person.

Ray Peat-ers say l-glutamine is bad for you, increases cortisol and feeds cancer but other Doctors say it’s great. Any further information on the safety of this supplement and long term effects?

Glutamine is a precursor to Glutamic Acid, and then GABA. Via P5P and GAD.

Frankdee20

Glutamine converts back to Glutamic Acid which can go either way - GABA or Glutamate. Maybe it’s dose dependent and has to do with how much inhibition of GAD or GABA shunt activity there is.

DavidGardner

My muscles get really full when supplementing l-glutamine, even just a couple grams. This effect is not reproduced by eating glutamine-rich foods. I wonder why this is.

johnwester130

I am also confused

A lot of posts say glutamine is very bad compared to things like taurine/glycine

Frankdee20

My muscles get really full when supplementing l-glutamine, even just a couple grams. This effect is not reproduced by eating glutamine-rich foods. I wonder why this is.

Because foods don’t contain isolated aminos that can freely do what they want when supplemented

yerrag

Why Is L-Glutamine Metabolism Important to Cells of the Immune System in Health, Postinjury, Surgery or Infection? :

ABSTRACT

Glutamine is normally considered to be a nonessential amino acid. However, recent studies have provided evidence that glutamine may become “conditionally essential” during inflammatory conditions such as infection and injury. It is now well documented that under appropriate conditions, glutamine is essential for cell proliferation, that it can act as a respiratory fuel and that it can enhance the function of stimulated immune cells. Studies thus far have determined the effect of extracellular glutamine concentration on lymphocyte proliferation and cytokine production, macrophage phagocytic plus secretory activities and neutrophil bacterial killing. Other cells of the immune system remain to be studied. The high rate of glutamine utilization and its importance to the function of lymphocytes, macrophages and neutrophils have raised the question “why glutamine?” because these cells have access to a variety of metabolic fuels both in vivo and in vitro. I have attempted to answer this question in this article. Additionally, knowledge of the rate of utilization and the pathway of metabolism of glutamine by cells of the immune system raises some intriguing questions concerning therapeutic manipulation of utilization of this amino acid such that the proliferative, phagocytic and secretory capacities of cells of the defense system may be beneficially altered. Evidence to support the hypothesis that glutamine is beneficially immunomodulatory in animal models of infection and trauma, as well as trauma in humans, is provided.

I'm going to try taking l-glutamine to see if it can help with increasing T-lymphocytes and its production of gamma interferon. Along with more sunlight and more exercise. Gamma interferon is very costly and it's better to try having the body making more of it.

I don't have time to show references as it takes time to find them (sorry, I'm not organized when I follow a trail of links and I eventually get inundated with a lot of open tabs on my browser), but I'm doing this because I have come to realize that I have conditions that seem to point towards having a poor t-lymphycyte response and this involves its production of gamma interferon. But it has more to do with improving the proliferation of t-lymphocyte to make the immune system destroy pathogens and toxins/irritants, instead of failing to do so and leaving the scene daily with recurring inflammation. The body when faced with the futility of destroying antigens would simply decide to seal off the antigen and create a granuloma. If it fails to do so, it will just have to deal with chronic inflammation and its associated oxidative stresses.

I have granulomas such as keloids and temporal arteritis, and I have chronic inflammation issues in seborrheic dermatitis and in a long-standing hypertension caused by inflammation in my kidneys. All these may just be a constellation of symptoms of my immune system not being able to finish its job of destroying antigens and cleaning up once its done. So I am thinking that improving my t-cell response by taking glutamine (as well as more sun and more exercise) would be able to push my immune system to step up.

yerrag

I take about 500mg each day along with my b complex mix. It's very hard for me to see its effect. I wanted to see if it can increase my lymphocyte count, but I guess with my high bacterial load more neutrophils are produced nonetheless and my lymphocytes still stay on the low side of range, and sometimes go lower.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals