L-Cysteine Surprising Benefits

ddjd

I took an amnio acid supplement, pure L-Cysteine (not NAC) as I heard it can be good for hangovers. Low and behold, it had a near miraculous effect in that department, I was completely functional the next day after a night of heavy drinking, when normally I would be curled up in a ball of pain.

now im aware from a peat perspective L-Cysteine is a huge no no (as is drinking!). I know cysteine reduces lifespan, is potently anti metabolic, anti thyroid.

but on top of the zero hangover, why did I have the sex drive of an 18 year old the next day, ridiculously hard errections which is even more surprising as that's an area I struggle in often, and I had this insatiable sexual desire for my long term partner, which if I'm honest, has dwindled a lot as of late.

so whilst L-Cysteine is perhaps very detrimental long term, the short term benefits are incredible!!

I did a test a week later just to confirm and exact same effects.

lampofred

Found this on Wikipedia:

"Cysteine has been proposed as a preventive or antidote for some of the negative effects of alcohol, including liver damage and hangover. It counteracts the poisonous effects of acetaldehyde. Cysteine supports the next step in metabolism, which turns acetaldehyde into acetic acid. In a rat study, test animals received an LD50 dose of acetaldehyde. Those that received cysteine had an 80% survival rate; when both cysteine and thiamine were administered, all animals survived. The control group had a 10% survival rate.[28] No direct evidence indicates its effectiveness in humans who consume alcohol at low levels."

I forgot exactly why, but acetic acid is very good for us. I think it's either essential for steroid production or is a large alternative source of energy for the body.

DrJ

Yeah, it may be the end pathway to acetic acid. Acetyldehyde is poisonous so you want it to become acetic acid as soon as possible.

@ddjd You might find this video really interesting, especially starting at 10:37 in which he talks about alcoholics being deficient in acetic acid and craving alcohol because it can become a source of acetic acid:

Of course, if you can't support the conversion from acetyldehyde to acetic acid, you don't get the 'benefit' of drinking and feel bad instead.

Spondive

I took an amnio acid supplement, pure L-Cysteine (not NAC) as I heard it can be good for hangovers. Low and behold, it had a near miraculous effect in that department, I was completely functional the next day after a night of heavy drinking, when normally I would be curled up in a ball of pain.

now im aware from a peat perspective L-Cysteine is a huge no no (as is drinking!). I know cysteine reduces lifespan, is potently anti metabolic, anti thyroid.

but on top of the zero hangover, why did I have the sex drive of an 18 year old the next day, ridiculously hard errections which is even more surprising as that's an area I struggle in often, and I had this insatiable sexual desire for my long term partner, which if I'm honest, has dwindled a lot as of late.

so whilst L-Cysteine is perhaps very detrimental long term, the short term benefits are incredible!!

I did a test a week later just to confirm and exact same effects.
How much did you take to get this effect

Mossy

Anyone have any updates with their L-Cysteine experience?

trogers38

Anyone have any updates with their L-Cysteine experience?
I noticed in the past when I had the high acetylcholine syndrome from using too many cholinergics that L Cysteine made those feelings go away, and cholinergics were all the sudden beneficial again whereas before taking l cysteine they made me feel worse. I don’t know the mechanism why though. Perhaps Cysteine downregulates something in the cholinergic system such as choline acetyltransferase.

OP
ddjd

ddjd

Yeah, it may be the end pathway to acetic acid. Acetyldehyde is poisonous so you want it to become acetic acid as soon as possible.

@ddjd You might find this video really interesting, especially starting at 10:37 in which he talks about alcoholics being deficient in acetic acid and craving alcohol because it can become a source of acetic acid:

Of course, if you can't support the conversion from acetyldehyde to acetic acid, you don't get the 'benefit' of drinking and feel bad instead.

Late reply but thanks for this, very interesting.

Could very well be in part an explanation for alcoholism.

I certainly have nowhere near a problem with alcohol addiction. With hangovers so bad I can not drink for months or even years without problems lol. That said, with cysteine the hangovers are significantly reduced

Mossy

I noticed in the past when I had the high acetylcholine syndrome from using too many cholinergics that L Cysteine made those feelings go away, and cholinergics were all the sudden beneficial again whereas before taking l cysteine they made me feel worse. I don’t know the mechanism why though. Perhaps Cysteine downregulates something in the cholinergic system such as choline acetyltransferase.
For some reason I missed your reply months back. Thanks for sharing.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals