Knee Replacement

michael94

My Father is planning to get his knee replaced. If anyone has anything to say about knee/joint replacements please speak

yerrag

It must be so bad that it had to be replaced. Or was it just the doctor's recommendation?

What has he taken and what has been done on it so far, that he has to go to a medical intervention on the knee?

OP
michael94

michael94

It must be so bad that it had to be replaced. Or was it just the doctor's recommendation?

What has he taken and what has been done on it so far, that he has to go to a medical intervention on the knee?
Cortisone shots ever few months for the pain, which I believe leads to more structural damage. He had a vasectomy around 18 years ago and I just came across Ray-Mond Peat mentioning that vasectomies can often lead to very low, sometimes almost non-existent progesterone, and this is contraindicated for joint health...

( start at 6:30 )

yerrag

I have a long-running left knee pain issue since 2000. I don't know if my case applies, but I've been seeing the pain getting less and less lately. I didn't see it being addressed by progesterone/thyroid/pregnenolone alone, as I had tried that, although it was too brief to make my case. I had to stop because they were causing my high blood pressure to increase further. My focus has been on lowering my blood pressure, but I didn't see much improvement on my knee pain during that time. I think, though, that they would be helpful, but not on their own, but with help on acid-base balance.

The recent thread of @Amazoniac "The Primary Sources Of Acidity In The Diet Are Sulfur-containing AAs, Salt, And Phosphoric Acid" has many links to studies that would be helpful, although they really take up time to read. One of them talks about the effect of acidity on the joints.

I tried red light and it didn't work for me. Nothing against red light. But I think it works only if underlying improvements have been made to make the joint responsive to it.

What has worked for me is magnesium bicarbonate water. I make my own with a DIY carbonator. With carbonated water and magnesium hydroxide, I could make a suitable dosage of magnesium bicarbonate and drink it (I assume I am magnesium deficient, not an unreasonable assumption imho). I would also eat plenty of bananas or other potassium-rich food such as sweet potatoes, or coconut water. This is because when magnesium deficient, potassium intake is simply excreted because potassium isn't absorbed. I'm now at 1050mg elemental magnesium daily, which I have gradually increased and may still increase as a therapeutic dosage that lasts for at least 6 months.

But that is only part of it. I also take vegetable and fruit juices, juicing them myself, and I've been lessening my meat intake to what is needed. I'm eating more gelatinous portion of meat such as ox tripe, ox tail, ox hoof, pork legs, pork face and ears, which increases my glycine intake.

I felt like an old man having pain walking up the stairs. I would need to rise up slowly from a kneeling position because of the pain on the left knee. I would wake up with a trigger finger (my middle left finger) each day and wonder why. I would have cramps sleeping. They are all gone, with just a little left of my left knee pain. It's still a work in progress.

As far as acidity goes, reduce lactic acid production and intake. Get enough sunshine for red light for cytochrome oxidase enzyme. Make sure there is no hypothyroid condition. Make sure there is no deficiency of vitamins, especially B1 thiamine. Improve breathing - no mouth, no snoring - to retain more CO2 as CO2 in blood improves oxygenation of tissues.

Reduce keto acid production - rely on sugar oxidation and not on fat oxidation. Don't keto.

Reduce sulfuric acid production by minimizing on sulfur-based amino acids.

Reduce phosphoric acid production by not eating more than needed quantities of protein (especially meat).

And if you're taking supplements, shy away if possible from taking supplements with inorganic anions such as chlorides and sulfates (except salt, sodium chlioride).

All this helps reduce the acid load on the body.

Increase alkaline intake, as through fruit juice and vegetable juice (for potassium mainly). Eat plenty of calcium sources such as milk, cheese, and well-cooked leafy greens (which is very rich in magnesium as well). And salt to taste, not trying to avoid it.

burtlancast

Osteo arthritis is a mondial plague.

If your father is past 60, i suppose that's the right thing to do, although i would try every possible alternative before that.

There's a doctor from Florida, Dr Dunn, who pioneered injections of minute quantities of growth hormone in the nineties, and had excellent success, especially with knees. Not sure he's still around.

These following links are related to his original work.

US5368051A - Method of regenerating articular cartilage - Google Patents

https://www.oarsijournal.com/action/doSearch?searchType=authorLookUp&author=Dunn, A.R.&prod=HA

Last edited:
OP
michael94

michael94

Osteo arthritis is a mondial plague.

If your father is past 60, i suppose that's the right thing to do, although i would try every possible alternative before that.

There's a doctor in Florida i think who pioneered injections of minute quantities of growth hormone in the nineties, and had excellent success, especially with knees. Not sure he's still around.

These following links are related to his original work.

WO2013082667A1 - Use of growth hormone fragments - Google Patents

https://www.oarsijournal.com/action/doSearch?searchType=authorLookUp&author=Dunn, A.R.&prod=HA

Luckytype

I have a long-running left knee pain issue since 2000. I don't know if my case applies, but I've been seeing the pain getting less and less lately. I didn't see it being addressed by progesterone/thyroid/pregnenolone alone, as I had tried that, although it was too brief to make my case. I had to stop because they were causing my high blood pressure to increase further. My focus has been on lowering my blood pressure, but I didn't see much improvement on my knee pain during that time. I think, though, that they would be helpful, but not on their own, but with help on acid-base balance.

The recent thread of @Amazoniac "The Primary Sources Of Acidity In The Diet Are Sulfur-containing AAs, Salt, And Phosphoric Acid" has many links to studies that would be helpful, although they really take up time to read. One of them talks about the effect of acidity on the joints.

I tried red light and it didn't work for me. Nothing against red light. But I think it works only if underlying improvements have been made to make the joint responsive to it.

What has worked for me is magnesium bicarbonate water. I make my own with a DIY carbonator. With carbonated water and magnesium hydroxide, I could make a suitable dosage of magnesium bicarbonate and drink it (I assume I am magnesium deficient, not an unreasonable assumption imho). I would also eat plenty of bananas or other potassium-rich food such as sweet potatoes, or coconut water. This is because when magnesium deficient, potassium intake is simply excreted because potassium isn't absorbed. I'm now at 1050mg elemental magnesium daily, which I have gradually increased and may still increase as a therapeutic dosage that lasts for at least 6 months.

But that is only part of it. I also take vegetable and fruit juices, juicing them myself, and I've been lessening my meat intake to what is needed. I'm eating more gelatinous portion of meat such as ox tripe, ox tail, ox hoof, pork legs, pork face and ears, which increases my glycine intake.

I felt like an old man having pain walking up the stairs. I would need to rise up slowly from a kneeling position because of the pain on the left knee. I would wake up with a trigger finger (my middle left finger) each day and wonder why. I would have cramps sleeping. They are all gone, with just a little left of my left knee pain. It's still a work in progress.

As far as acidity goes, reduce lactic acid production and intake. Get enough sunshine for red light for cytochrome oxidase enzyme. Make sure there is no hypothyroid condition. Make sure there is no deficiency of vitamins, especially B1 thiamine. Improve breathing - no mouth, no snoring - to retain more CO2 as CO2 in blood improves oxygenation of tissues.

Reduce keto acid production - rely on sugar oxidation and not on fat oxidation. Don't keto.

Reduce sulfuric acid production by minimizing on sulfur-based amino acids.

Reduce phosphoric acid production by not eating more than needed quantities of protein (especially meat).

And if you're taking supplements, shy away if possible from taking supplements with inorganic anions such as chlorides and sulfates (except salt, sodium chlioride).

All this helps reduce the acid load on the body.

Increase alkaline intake, as through fruit juice and vegetable juice (for potassium mainly). Eat plenty of calcium sources such as milk, cheese, and well-cooked leafy greens (which is very rich in magnesium as well). And salt to taste, not trying to avoid it.

Your issue kinda sounds like a patellar track issue/illiotibial band tightness.

Basically the structures on the outside overpower the forceproducers near the inside(mainly the one quad head) everything tightens down and when the quad contracts and relaxes there is an uneven moment which causes the kneecap to track in a poor path over the femoral notch.

It can be as simple as reactivating your VMO(medial teardrop) so its no longer so dormant.

The slow ache when getting up from sitting, pain, pain on swing through or pain on planting are all sign.

yerrag

Your issue kinda sounds like a patellar track issue/illiotibial band tightness.

Basically the structures on the outside overpower the forceproducers near the inside(mainly the one quad head) everything tightens down and when the quad contracts and relaxes there is an uneven moment which causes the kneecap to track in a poor path over the femoral notch.

It can be as simple as reactivating your VMO(medial teardrop) so its no longer so dormant.

The slow ache when getting up from sitting, pain, pain on swing through or pain on planting are all sign.
I went thru a sports therapist, and what he told me sounds very similar to what you just said. He had me on those rubber bands that work my quad. I probably should have stuck it out longer doing those exercises. It may have worked. But I now believe the pain is more related to deficiencies that led to that condition. Seeing how my pain is going away by the day, by addressing my magnesium and potassium deficiency, I'm beginning to see the functional nutritional approach as a more viable approach to my condition. When I see my trigger finger issue go away, and see also my frequent cramps go away, I can't help but find that as a confirmation that I'm on the right track, what with my knee pain being so much less than what it was before. I don't have difficulty rising from a kneeling position, feel no pain walking up stairs, but still feel a slight pain going up the ladder to the roof.

I'm 55 years old, so I personally feel it's too early to have a knee replacement operation, but everyone has their own unique circumstance, and I wouldn't pretend to know what Michael's dad's context is. But I hope my situation gives him some hope that he doesn't have to go have his knee replaced. I used to wonder what the big deal is with getting an operation when I was younger, but now I appreciate more being less bionic and more human and whole.

Lurker

I’ve read that sham sugeries were just as effective as “real” surgery if not more so. I don’t know if it’s all placebo or if the localized trauma actually brings about healing (or both). If it’s not a torn ACL or anything like that, I’d look at alternatives. When asked about the sugar injections (again sounds like placebo), Peat mentioned his father had vegetable oil injection in his knee and it helped. Who knows.

OP
michael94

michael94

I’ve read that sham sugeries were just as effective as “real” surgery if not more so. I don’t know if it’s all placebo or if the localized trauma actually brings about healing (or both). If it’s not a torn ACL or anything like that, I’d look at alternatives. When asked about the sugar injections (again sounds like placebo), Peat mentioned his father had vegetable oil injection in his knee and it helped. Who knows.
is that so...

Youre making me think. I appreciate that

fradon

My Father is planning to get his knee replaced. If anyone has anything to say about knee/joint replacements please speak

yes if you have time you may consider storing his blood at the blood bank incase he needs a transusion...my mother had a blood clot after her operation and she needed a transfusion on the first leg.

also after the operation make sure they get him walking the very first day this is really crucial as stating in bed too long can cause blood clots

also if they are still doing it after the operation they will give him medication for blood thinning usally warfarin but can also be an injection called hexaprin or something like that... the warfarin can take a while to thin the blood so i would recommend the injection

my mother had both knees replaced the first one she had so many complications and was in the hospital for 10 days but the second one they did all the above and she was out and walking three days after.

burtlancast

Another consideration is I think knee replacements only last about 10 years and can only be redone once. After that it’s wheelchair.

"i had my left hip replaced for the third time three years ago which left my leg numb from the knee down .i was told it would get better but it isn,t . so i have to walk with a walker. I was wondering if anyone else has this problem"
Hip Replacement Problems

Adnada

I recommend Egoscue and Foundation Training corrective exercise therapies. I believe musculo-skeletal imbalances are the main culprit for joint degeneration. These techniques help your body to become realigned and move properly... of course it takes dedication and regular practice. I alleviated hip pain and hyper-extended knees with a combo of those modalities.

Badger

This innovative medical outfit called Flexogenix specializes in eliminating or reducing knee pain using non-surgical methods. Claims a 90% success rate. Initial treatment involves injecting hyaluronic acid in knees weekly for 4 weeks in a row, followed up by various non-drug methods. Also do stem cell therapy (taken from patient's own stem cells) to regrow cartilage in knee. Most of their offices in the southeast US, with one in LA. I just started their protocol so I'll see how it goes. Testimonials seems to indicate some people got remarkable results, especially using stem cell method.
About Flexogenix | Musculoskeletal Treatments | Medical Experts

Last edited:

Sheila

Gentlemen,
You may find trauma orthopedic surgeon Dr Ian Harris' opinions on knee and other musculo skeletal surgery of interest here.
He wrote "Surgery the Ultimate Placebo"

And specifically on arthritis of the knee here
A refreshing perspective including "..both Drs and patients over estimate the benefits and underestimate the risks of many of these procedures."
Best regards
Sheila

Dave Clark

You could also check out prolozone therapy. My ozone doctor has been able to help many patients with canceling their knee replacement surgery. I know I would look into it if that day came, it is safe, and depending on the severity of the knee damage, effective.

jdrop

has anyone had knee replacement surgery/ torn acl?
I had acl surgery. Acl, lcl, mcl, meniscus. That was 11 years ago. Had hip replacement six years ago. Both situations, I saw that I had no choice.