• kmud_130215_190000fritalk.mp3
    10.4 MB · Views: 1,805
OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Re: KMUD: Weight Gain, Foamy Urine, Fats, Light Therapy, Dre

So I finally got an answer to what my intermittent foamy urine is.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Somebody needs to school that engineer. :rolling

Dean

Charlie said:
Somebody needs to school that engineer. :rolling

...or waterboard him. I think he might be an anti-Peat plant. :twisted:

Anyway, Thanks Charlie. Good to hear the good doctor still churning out the info. Relevent to the recent and continuous conversations about starch, Dr. Peat really drew a pretty clear line between starches and fruit here.

In fact, I was thinking about this whole difference in perception of Peaters about starch the other night. There are excerpts from his writings were one can find a tacit endorsement of sorts for starches, but it is really in his radio interviews (i.e. this one) were I think it is much clearer how problematic he thinks they are, particularily for someone with a sluggish/troubled digestion.

Along those lines as well, I'm also starting to think about reducing fat consumption, along with starches and fiber in terms of fixing my gut. I guess I was thinking that accepting temporary weight gain was acceptable so why worry about fat consumption as long as it was dairy or saturated. I'm beginning to look at it in another way though. Greatly restricting fat may be part of the solution and not doing so may get in the way of progress.

Also, I was a little confused by the brief dream discussion. For most of my life, I've been a non-dreamer or not able to recall dreaming. I always took that as a bad sign along with other evidence that I was not resting/sleeping well. Since I've been Peating, I've been dreaming and recalling. The dreams aren't either good or bad, just weird, nonsensical stuff. I was taking that as a sign of progress. Now, I'm a little confused.

Finally, of the 3 liver cleansing options mentioned during the show, I know Dr. Peat recommends cascara. My understanding though is that it is expensive and difficult to get in a proper form. Does anyone have any experience with milk thistle or dandelion root or know what Dr. Peat thinks specifically of them?

Dean

John Eels said:
What about the Cascara Sagrada that you find here on Amazon? Is it not the proper form?

I'm not sure. The only cascara Dr. Peat apparently recommends comes from an Italian company that can't get through U.S. customs or there is a blend that some co-op makes with glycine or something that is acceptable I guess. Maybe that is old info?

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

People say they are doing OK with that cascara on Amazon. However, the optimal one is from that Italian company but that is hard to get.

chris

Thanks once again for posting these Charlie. Due to how infrequently they come up I always forget about them, looking forward to listening to this one.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Dean and Chris, you are very welcome. :hattip

narouz

Charlie said:
KMUD: Weight Gain, Foamy Urine, Fats, Light Therapy, Dreams, -- 2-15-2013

Who can resist and interview with Dr. Peat on Foamy Urine?
Certainly not me! :D
Thanks!

narouz

Dean said:
Relevent to the recent and continuous conversations about starch, Dr. Peat really drew a pretty clear line between starches and fruit here.

In fact, I was thinking about this whole difference in perception of Peaters about starch the other night. There are excerpts from his writings were one can find a tacit endorsement of sorts for starches, but it is really in his radio interviews (i.e. this one) were I think it is much clearer how problematic he thinks they are, particularily for someone with a sluggish/troubled digestion.

I agree, Dean!
I have always--well, since becoming Peatian--noticed the lack of consensus
in interpreting Peat on the starches.
Indeed, I was surprised by how many Peatians interpret Peat as being, essentially,
very Pro Starch--well, the so-called "safe Peat starches" like potato, rice, masa harina, root vegetables.

But to me, when I consider all of Peat's ideas on starch,
and as you say especially the ideas he expresses in interviews,
he seems to me to be pretty much Anti Starch.

My take is that a lot of people--myself included for sure--LIKE to eat starch.
They/we DESIRE starch.
It is delicious and satisfying, especially with lots of butter and salt!
Also it is cheap and filling and widely available.
So...because many people LIKE starch and it is EASY on the wallet,
they kinda, perhaps subconsciously? distort Peat's ideas in order to allow themselves to believe
they are eating good stuff when they are eating starches.
After all, it is kinduv difficult to enjoy a food when you consciously acknowledge it is unhealthy
or even just "safe" (won't kill ya but won't help you).

Peat does provide loopholes for those eager to believe that starches are good food.
Many Peatians take those out of context and drive giant trucks through them. :lol:

J

j.

Is there a difference in how the foam is formed if you pee straight into the water or if you pee in a way that it impacts the part of the toilet with no water and then it moves down to the water.

J

j.

Ray Peat mentioned that he justifies his advice on light on plant studies, where plant tissue exposed to u.v. light generated free radicals and red light fixed the problems. I wonder though if that study also justifies his belief that red light is THE most important -as narouz likes to remind us- factor in health.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Ray Peat said:
Penetrating red light is possibly the fundamental anti-stress factor for all organisms. The chronic deficiency of such light is, I think, the best explanation for the deterioration which occurs with aging. Enzyme changes, free radical changes, structural and respiratory changes are all involved as consequences of darkness stress.

narouz

j. said:
Ray Peat mentioned that he justifies his advice on light on plant studies, where plant tissue exposed to u.v. light generated free radicals and red light fixed the problems. I wonder though if that study also justifies his belief that red light is THE most important -as narouz likes to remind us- factor in health.

The Ray Peat red light thing...
boy, it kinda tortures me.

I mean, Peat says it may be THE most important factor to fight stress and aging.
And yet: where is his evidence?
This is usually not the case with Peat at all.
He usually is very scientific and very active and thorough in citing and documentation
with his other ideas.
But with Light.... :roll:

I tend to go along with him just on trust.
He says it...I tend to believe it.
I just wish I could understand why his documentation is so scant with light.
Maybe it is, with him, on this topic, mostly a kind of poetic intuition.
That would fly with me.
I just wish he'd elucidate. :D

J

j.

narouz said:
I mean, Peat says it may be THE most important factor to fight stress and aging.

I believe him too, but I don't know what's his evidence against PUFA. This is probably the recommendation on which I trust him the most, but that's just because its effects on my own body. The story of feeding pigs PUFA, and other pigs coconut oil and seeing that one group gets fat and the other doesn't, for me happens to be very persuasive.

narouz

j. said:
narouz said:

I believe him too, but I don't know what's his evidence against PUFA. This is probably the recommendation on which I trust him the most, but that's just because its effects on my own body. The story of feeding pigs PUFA, and other pigs coconut oil and seeing that one group gets fat and the other doesn't, for me happens to be very persuasive.

Seems to me, j., that Peat provides an abundance of evidence and documentation
in his arguments against PUFA. :roll:

gretchen

The comments about how you pee as a way of ascertaining your metabolism were very interesting.

narouz

gretchen said:
The comments about how you pee as a way of ascertaining your metabolism were very interesting.

Yes, to me too!
Could someone relate the formula here, please?
I listened, but I didn't take notes, and now I'm foggy on it.

I did question the formula in passing.
I was all figured by liquids consumed and expelled, right?
Made me wonder how that could be accurate
with people who, on a given day, didn't drink much liquid.
Or...what if you ate a lot of oranges--with high liquid content, obviously...
how should that not be figured in...? :roll:

Dean

I don't recall the "formula" either but I don't think he meant it as some kind of precise measure. It's just a way to ascertain whether your metabolism is good or bad. As for me, I have a lifetime of other evidence that convinces me my metabolism is bad, so I didn't see the need to start storing my daily pee output for measurement...So I kind of checked out mentally on some of that discussion

It is interesting though ; and for someone who doesn't have the more obvious signs of metabolic stress/issues, it would be a worthy undertaking as a general gauge.