Ray Peat Interview KMUD: 3-20-2020 Coronavirus

StephanF

Forum Supporter
At 44:43 - 45:13, Ray mentioned something interesting:

"A man in Italy about a week ago, emailed me about his friend with confirmed, uh, Corona virus. Uh, and the, I mentioned the Chinese, uh, recommendations to him. He rushed out and got a Losartan prescription. Then the next day, he said his friend was up and out of bed and feeling good. And today I got an email from him saying that not 'just good': he feels like he has new lungs."

I filtered the annoying background noise from Dr. Ray Peat's radio interview, essentially harmonics of 120 Hz up into the 3 kHz range, in Adobe Audition.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• kmud-200320-coronavirus-NR2.mp3
    12.7 MB · Views: 93
Last edited:

Fred

At 44:43 - 45:13, Ray mentioned something interesting:

I filtered the annoying background noise from Dr. Ray Peat's radio interview, essentially harmonics of 120 Hz up into the 3 kHz range, in Adobe Audition.

Enjoy!

Thanks Stephan. Sounds much better. And now if I may look a gift horse in the mouth ... the only issue is that the overall level is much lower. I used wavepad to "normalize" the clip so that the peaks are at max level. It's a one-click solution on WavePad. Never tried Adobe, so I don't know if there's a similar feature.
Also, I'm curious ... what EQ settings did you use to remove the hum? Is this multiple super-narrow-band dips of 120Hz and octaves above (i.e. 240Hz, 480Hz, etc)?

J

jb116

Thanks Stephan. Sounds much better. And now if I may look a gift horse in the mouth ... the only issue is that the overall level is much lower. I used wavepad to "normalize" the clip so that the peaks are at max level. It's a one-click solution on WavePad. Never tried Adobe, so I don't know if there's a similar feature.
Also, I'm curious ... what EQ settings did you use to remove the hum? Is this multiple super-narrow-band dips of 120Hz and octaves above (i.e. 240Hz, 480Hz, etc)?
I don't think it's simple notch bands, that would create pretty poor, phasey sounding audio. Most likely spectral editing in Audition.

StephanF

Forum Supporter
I don't think it's simple notch bands, that would create pretty poor, phasey sounding audio. Most likely spectral editing in Audition.
The simplest was a 1/120 s delay to a phase inverted copy of the audio and then sum them up (a 'comb filter'). All the 120 Hz signals disappeared but then, of course, I got an 8.33 ms echo! So I used about 30 notch filters to get into the 3 kHz range, that did it. I should have checked the sound level though...

So here is the normalized volume level audio file!

Attachments

• kmud-200320-coronavirus-NR-Norm.mp3
    12.7 MB · Views: 39
Last edited:

Fred

The simplest was a 1/120 s delay to a phase inverted copy of the audio and then sum them up (a 'comb filter'). All the 120 Hz signals disappeared but then, of course, I got an 8.33 ms echo! So I used about 30 notch filters to get into the 3 kHz range, that did it. I should have checked the sound level though...

Man, that's amazing. I'm in the stone age with my parametric EQ. Thanks for posting it up here!!!!

StephanF

Forum Supporter
Man, that's amazing. I'm in the stone age with my parametric EQ. Thanks for posting it up here!!!!

Here are a couple of Adobe Audition screenshots!

upload_2020-4-6_21-13-52.png

upload_2020-4-6_21-15-31.png

Six of those filter sets did it (so actually a total of 36)! Probably some ground loop in the telephone conference recording introduced this nasty signal. It started at 240 Hz and went all the way up to around 3 kHz, then there were additional harmonics of 1 kHz up to 6 kHz, which I also killed...

Regards, Stephan

Fred

Cool. So it looks like there's a notch at every octave and 5th. I'll have to remember that. Hum seems to be a common plague.

J

jb116

So here is the normalized volume level audio file!
But you used the spectral editor, yes?

Fred

Me too. Ray is talking in the last interview and a flute just starts playing mid-sentence.