Ray Peat Interview KMUD: 2-21-2020 Vibrations/Frequencies Part 2

jaguar43

Around 15:00 in the interview, Ray Peat says:

“Both the seed oil industry and the estrogen industry found it very convenient to sell the idea that vitamin E is merely an anti-oxidant. So from the 1940s on, d-alpha tocopherol was identified as how to measure the value of vitamin E, because it was the most anti-oxidant. So until just fairly recently, the only component that they measured was the alpha component. But it turns out that the gamma and others have very distinct, more important biological activities, including opposition to estrogen.”

@haidut has posted studies suggesting that alpha tocopherol is an aromatase inhibitor and an estrogen receptor antagonist, and has said in a few threads that alpha likely deserves more credit than gamma for vitamin E's anti-estrogenic effects, e.g.:
“I prefer the alpha-tocopherol heavy variety as it favors the anti-estrogen effects of vitamin E. Gamma tocopherol seems to affect mostly NO and LOX, which are also good aspects. So, I personally prefer mixed tocopherols with more alpha because the focus will be on estrogen blockade while also getting the anti-NO and LOX inhibition effects. High-gamma mixed tocopherols tend to have mostly anti-inflammatory effects but much less of pro-progesterone and anti-estrogen effects.”

Source: Retinil - Liquid Vitamin A

Curious about whether RP would prefer high gamma or high alpha mixed tocopherols for blocking estrogen.

He states that gamma and the other components are more important in blocking estrogen. So why ask ? I mean its obvious that the owner of Ideallabs and Ray Peat have different opinions on the question of vitamin E so it's important to be cautious with what people say.

Last edited:

jaguar43

I wonder why Ray doesn't mention the IdeaLabs products like TocoVit when I'm pretty sure he knows of them. He used to promote the wheat germ based E, but now says it has too much PUFA... So that would make me think he would mention TocoVit since it has been made devoid of PUFAs.

Why would Peat mention Tocovit when the owner has given no information on the content or manufacturing process ? I mean, you go to these other companies and ask for a COA and they provide one. But the owner of Idealabs has never posted anything. The problem with Ray Peat is that he doesn't have much motivation in finding good supplements like pregenenolone or vitamin e. But at least he is cautious with his recommendations.

jaguar43

The vitamin E that Ray has used in the recent past and possibly still using is a product from ADM. It fits the description he mentioned on the interview:

NOVATOL® Naturally Sourced Vitamin E | ADM

Two questions if you don't mind.

1) When you ordered from them did you have to state that it was for a company rather than personal use ? Some manufacturers will not sell you any of their products unless it is to supply a company.

2) Do you notice any beneficial effects ? Do you like the product ?

Beastmode

Two questions if you don't mind.

1) When you ordered from them did you have to state that it was for a company rather than personal use ? Some manufacturers will not sell you any of their products unless it is to supply a company.

2) Do you notice any beneficial effects ? Do you like the product ?

1) Company.

2. I've noticed it more topically for myself. My wife seems to be ok using it daily with her breakfast.

MatheusPN

Why would Peat mention Tocovit when the owner has given no information on the content or manufacturing process ? I mean, you go to these other companies and ask for a COA and they provide one. But the owner of Idealabs has never posted anything. The problem with Ray Peat is that he doesn't have much motivation in finding good supplements like pregenenolone or vitamin e. But at least he is cautious with his recommendations.
Wrong, Haidut has provided the COA and the content of Tocovit publicly
https://raypeatforum.com/community/attachments/idealabs_sample_analysis-pdf.4763/

From the coa, about the manufacturing, that is interesting and can help people: No awful widespread stuff like BPA, BHT, and DEHP

Last edited:

jaguar43

Around 15:00 in the interview, Ray Peat says:

“Both the seed oil industry and the estrogen industry found it very convenient to sell the idea that vitamin E is merely an anti-oxidant. So from the 1940s on, d-alpha tocopherol was identified as how to measure the value of vitamin E, because it was the most anti-oxidant. So until just fairly recently, the only component that they measured was the alpha component. But it turns out that the gamma and others have very distinct, more important biological activities, including opposition to estrogen.”

The last sentence of the RP quote I posted obviously indicates he thinks gamma has anti-estrogenic properties. But I wasn't entirely sure whether the sentence was referring to biological activities distinct from alpha's activities (the more plausible reading, in my view) or biological activities distinct from activity as an anti-oxidant, and I did not want to put my spin on Peat's words.

In any case, after posting, I saw that someone asked Peat whether he prefers high alpha or high gamma mixed tocopherols. RP replied: "In similar milligram amounts, I would prefer gamma." Source: Ray Peat Email Exchanges - Ray Peat Forum Wiki

Beastmode

The last sentence of the RP quote I posted obviously indicates he thinks gamma has anti-estrogenic properties. But I wasn't entirely sure whether the sentence was referring to biological activities distinct from alpha's activities (the more plausible reading, in my view) or biological activities distinct from activity as an anti-oxidant, and I did not want to put my spin on Peat's words.

In any case, after posting, I saw that someone asked Peat whether he prefers high alpha or high gamma mixed tocopherols. RP replied: "In similar milligram amounts, I would prefer gamma." Source: Ray Peat Email Exchanges - Ray Peat Forum Wiki

Check out my post in 1st page.

kaybb

I was hesitant to listen at first when I heard her voice...haha.

She must talk her husband's ear off at home. I have a few neighbors where the husbands are always in the garage doing something just to escape the chatter box.
Just the opposite ... he takes 10 words to say 1, and on and on . I’m sure she has had to develop much patience. She is to the point and asks good clarifying questions , imo.

Check out my post in 1st page.

Yes, thanks. I especially appreciate RP's comment about delta since I haven't seen it discussed as much as alpha or gamma.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals