The Law & Order Admin
iu

yerrag

Alright!!!!

Blossom

Forum Supporter
That was really nice. Thank you Dan.

Beastmode

I was hesitant to listen at first when I heard her voice...haha.

She must talk her husband's ear off at home. I have a few neighbors where the husbands are always in the garage doing something just to escape the chatter box.

lampofred

She must talk her husband's ear off at home. I have a few neighbors where the husbands are always in the garage doing something just to escape the chatter box.

I learned a lot from the vitamin E discussion which wouldn't have happened if she weren't there.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

I think she's great.

Waynish

I wonder why Ray doesn't mention the IdeaLabs products like TocoVit when I'm pretty sure he knows of them. He used to promote the wheat germ based E, but now says it has too much PUFA... So that would make me think he would mention TocoVit since it has been made devoid of PUFAs.

Around 15:00 in the interview, Ray Peat says:

“Both the seed oil industry and the estrogen industry found it very convenient to sell the idea that vitamin E is merely an anti-oxidant. So from the 1940s on, d-alpha tocopherol was identified as how to measure the value of vitamin E, because it was the most anti-oxidant. So until just fairly recently, the only component that they measured was the alpha component. But it turns out that the gamma and others have very distinct, more important biological activities, including opposition to estrogen.”

@haidut has posted studies suggesting that alpha tocopherol is an aromatase inhibitor and an estrogen receptor antagonist, and has said in a few threads that alpha likely deserves more credit than gamma for vitamin E's anti-estrogenic effects, e.g.:
“I prefer the alpha-tocopherol heavy variety as it favors the anti-estrogen effects of vitamin E. Gamma tocopherol seems to affect mostly NO and LOX, which are also good aspects. So, I personally prefer mixed tocopherols with more alpha because the focus will be on estrogen blockade while also getting the anti-NO and LOX inhibition effects. High-gamma mixed tocopherols tend to have mostly anti-inflammatory effects but much less of pro-progesterone and anti-estrogen effects.”

Source: Retinil - Liquid Vitamin A

Curious about whether RP would prefer high gamma or high alpha mixed tocopherols for blocking estrogen.

Beastmode

Around 15:00 in the interview, Ray Peat says:

“Both the seed oil industry and the estrogen industry found it very convenient to sell the idea that vitamin E is merely an anti-oxidant. So from the 1940s on, d-alpha tocopherol was identified as how to measure the value of vitamin E, because it was the most anti-oxidant. So until just fairly recently, the only component that they measured was the alpha component. But it turns out that the gamma and others have very distinct, more important biological activities, including opposition to estrogen.”

@haidut has posted studies suggesting that alpha tocopherol is an aromatase inhibitor and an estrogen receptor antagonist, and has said in a few threads that alpha likely deserves more credit than gamma for vitamin E's anti-estrogenic effects, e.g.:
“I prefer the alpha-tocopherol heavy variety as it favors the anti-estrogen effects of vitamin E. Gamma tocopherol seems to affect mostly NO and LOX, which are also good aspects. So, I personally prefer mixed tocopherols with more alpha because the focus will be on estrogen blockade while also getting the anti-NO and LOX inhibition effects. High-gamma mixed tocopherols tend to have mostly anti-inflammatory effects but much less of pro-progesterone and anti-estrogen effects.”

Source: Retinil - Liquid Vitamin A

Curious about whether RP would prefer high gamma or high alpha mixed tocopherols for blocking estrogen.

Peat wrote me last year about it suggesting one with a higher Delta. Said he believed it was more antinflammatory than just alpha!

Mol Aspects Med. 2007 Oct-Dec;28(5-6):668-91.
Anti-inflammatory properties of alpha- and gamma-tocopherol.
Reiter E, Jiang Q, Christen S.
Natural vitamin E consists of four different tocopherol and four different tocotrienol homologues (alpha,beta, gamma, delta) that all have antioxidant activity. However, recent data indicate that the different vitamin E homologues also have biological activity unrelated to their antioxidant activity. In this review, we discuss the anti-inflammatory properties of the two major forms of vitamin E, alpha-tocopherol (alphaT) and gamma-tocopherol (gammaT), and discuss the potential molecular mechanisms involved in these effects. While both tocopherols exhibit anti-inflammatory activity in vitro and in vivo, supplementation with mixed (gammaT-enriched) tocopherols seems to be more potent than supplementation with alphaT alone. This may explain the mostly negative outcomes of the recent large-scale interventional chronic disease prevention trials with alphaT only and thus warrants further investigation.

Peat wrote me last year about it suggesting one with a higher Delta. Said he believed it was more antinflammatory than just alpha!

Interesting, thanks.

You mentioned that RP used an ADM product. ADM says their mixed tocopherol product in oil form, Novatol 4-80, "is considered a high d-alpha mixed tocopherol." Wonder if he used this product.

Beastmode

Interesting, thanks.

You mentioned that RP used an ADM product. ADM says their mixed tocopherol product in oil form, Novatol 4-80, "is considered a high d-alpha mixed tocopherol." Wonder if he used this product.

DECANOXTM MIXED TOCOPHEROLS MTS-70 DX2(d-alpha, d-beta, d-gamma, and d-delta-tocopherols) ADM product code 400702 is the one I got and asked him about.

LucyL

Definitely better with Sara! Now if they could only get an engineer worth something.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals