KMUD: 1-18-2019 Skin Cancer Part 3

lampofred

I feel like I say this after every interview but it seems like Dr. Peat sounds tenser than in this one, and his responses don't seem to be as sharp as they used to be?

yerrag

This interview is notable for Ray giving the example of cows with more bacteria in their gut being no less healthy than cows with less bacteria in their gut. And I'm not replaying the interview to see if he did actually say the cows with more badteria in their gut are more healthy. Of course, this may seem to be contradictory to his past statements about gut bacteria and endotoxin load, and about his endorsement of antibiotic use. But I interpret what he says to be more about having a diversity of bacteria in the gut, as having the diversity gives one more tools at his disposal to combat insults. With the diversity, we get to have bacteria competing against each other, in the process balancing each other out, such that no one variety gets to dominate the others, and this coexistence contributes to "peace" and our health is the ultimate beneficiary of this balance.

I'm still not sure about how to explain why antibiotics are still needed, but I'll attempt to do so here. I'm being medieval here as I'm relying on logical arguments to bnttress my case. I actually believe more in using broad-spectrum antibiotics than ones that are selective. When I use activated charcoal, or eat raw carrots, or cooked bamboo shoots, or take colloidal silver or copper acetate, I'm actually using broad spectrum antibiotics (except for activated charcoal), in the sense that all these can't tell good bacteria from bad bacteria (and the concept of bad is really a matter of being dominant and wrecking the balance). An effective antibiotic, in my opinion, is one that has enough effect to re-establish the balance back. It should be able to neutralize the dominant bacteria as the dominant bacteria, being the most numerous, is likely to suffer the most casualties. This way, the dominant bacteria is handicapped, and the other bacteria can be made to rebuild their colony. That is the general concept I have with regards to antibiotics. It's not about total elimination of any bacterial species. It is about us using bacteria in a divide-and-conquer approach to tame them for our benefit. Just my 2 cents.

rei

No, he says that some cows that are healthy have more bacteria than those with mastitis. Implying that it is not the amount and even strain of bacteria that counts, but how well the body is in balance with them. Bad interaction="inflammation/infection caused by bacteria" Good interaction=healthy co-existence.

yerrag

No, he says that some cows that are healthy have more bacteria than those with mastitis. Implying that it is not the amount and even strain of bacteria that counts, but how well the body is in balance with them. Bad interaction="inflammation/infection caused by bacteria" Good interaction=healthy co-existence.
That's a good account of what Ray said. But the message is consistent.

Peatful

KMUD monthly broadcast:
Andrew Murray
Dr. Ray Peat
Caller from New York

Last edited:

rei

Wim Hof has allegedly shown it is possible to tolerate bacterial toxin, not getting sick from it even when before his demonstration it resulted in a certain fever/poisoning reaction according to medical literature. This would support this view on how a war with the bacteria might be a choice.

More or less a quote:

"Bacteria when they acquire immunity to something pack up their DNA and send it to their neighbor for incorporation into its DNA.

And when we eat an organism and we get some of it's DNA...eat a carrot or beef and we get some of that DNA.

So in that sense we are communicating across species all the time.

I imagine viruses have some of that function...so given that an organism changes its gene or passes its DNA to a neighbor...for us that may be our way to get these differfent DNA particles of genetic information and increase our repertoire of DNA, but only if our energy levels are high.

yerrag

Thanks for that. It still comes back to having good metabolism. It even ties in to why we aren't easily affected by allergies when our energy levels are high.

Peat Tong

I was surprised that Ray Peat only said good things about grape pigments. I thought he'd be against the polyphenols.

achillea

He nails it in the One Radio interview.

He mentions Thyrolar and Cento Plus ? thyroid from Meico. Any ideas on these?

haidut

Forum Supporter
I wanted to chime in because I keep getting emails and PMs in regards to this interview and cholesterol in particular. Many people keep asking me to release a cholesterol-based product for skin health/aging. I actually looked at cholesterol for skin health several years ago and there appear to be much better options. Many studies have looked at the effects of cholesterol and its derivatives (steroids) on skin health and have found that the derivatives (steroids) have much more potent effects. Androgens like T are usually the most potent, but progesterone/pregnenolone are not far behind. Here is a human study that tested those steroids.

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.575.1488&rep=rep1&type=pdf
"...The male hormone, testosterone, has a rejuvenating or ameliorative effect when applied to aging human skin. Clinically evident changes, such as effacement of wrinkles, hair growth, and augmented sweating, are present but modest, particularly when compared to the improvement in the microscopic architecture of the skin. Progesterone and pregnenolone produce similar but more diminutive alterations. The female hormone, ethinyl estradiol, was without effect, while the corticosteroids accentuated the degradative changes of senescence.

So, I think we have that covered already with CortiNon (progesterone/DHEA), Pansterone (pregnenolone/DHEA) or even androsterone as topical anti-aging products. Any of these is likely superior to plain cholesterol and when combined with a product that contains vitamins A/K/D/E which are also highly beneficial for skin, it becomes a really powerful approach for skin aging/health. Finally, since in women DHEA converts readily into T the progesterone/DHEA combo may be a perfect replication of that old study above.
Just my 2c.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals