Kidney Health

Peater

Hi all,

Yesterday I went for an acupuncture session to see if it was any help with hyperhydrosis. Nothing has ever helped, no diet, supplement, chemical. Only thing that made a difference was a home iontophoresis machine.
She mentioned the kidneys being related to this, so I just wondered if there were any Peaty thoughts on kidney health.

Have never bothered going to a GP as they will just say cut out coffee and it's an over active nervous system (Yeah, no ***t)

OP
P

Peater

I take 2x drops androsterone already - I never had any idea it was good for kidneys! Thanks for the TUDCA tip, had never heard of that

yerrag

what drug was being delivered with the machine?

what did the accupuncturist say as to how the kidneys are related to the excessive sweating?

I remember Peat saying something along the line of people shouldn't be urinating more than a certain amount as a certain portion of water would be let out through the skin, helped by a good metabolism. I'm paraphrasing and I could be getting what he said twisted though.

But excessive sweating I suppose isn't what he has in mind. But I remembered a time when I would sweat a lot. I wasn't sure if I was hypothyroid then, but I think I was as people would remark that I had cold hands. As odd as it may seem, as I look back I was cold yet I sweat a lot. Recently, I had an excess of topical progesterone, my temps shot up to 38C, and I was shivering.

Last edited:

lampofred

Dr. Peat said the main thing that damages the kidneys is excess phosphate, so fruits, calcium, sunlight, and saturated fat (so even butter and ghee would be bad for you in this aspect relative to hydrogenated coconut oil) would all push things in the right direction.

I think they're right about the emphasis on your nervous system though. An overactive mind causing hyperventilation and a lack of CO2 is probably the most important factor that drains the kidneys in the first place. But just forcing yourself to breathe less won't help because you will just make yourself hypoxic. Calming the mind will lower your need for oxygen allowing you to breathe less and retain more CO2 without going into hypoxia.

LUH 3417

i've had hyperhidrosis since i can remember, mostly my hands and feet. i had surgery for it when i was 16, it just dispersed the sweat.

things that have helped include thyroid, eating enough sugar/salt/calories, and sleeping. ray once told me it might be a histamine thing because mast cells are implicated in sweating. i do think i sweat less on antihistamines but i can't take them all the time in high enough doses to keep me from sweating. my hands are usually sweaty when they are cold, and rarely ever sweat when i feel very warm/have high temps
i've done probably 100 sessions of acupuncture and it never resolved my hyperhidrosis, although i do think it helps with general stress relief and normalizing my menstrual cycle

LUH 3417

i also have dark circles under my eyes since i was a kid, which in tcm is a sign of weak kidneys. but tcm recommends eating beans and seaweed for kidney health..

OP
P

Peater

Thanks everyone for replying!

what drug was being delivered with the machine?

what did the accupuncturist say as to how the kidneys are related to the excessive sweating?

I remember Peat saying something along the line of people shouldn't be urinating more than a certain amount as a certain portion of water would be let out through the skin, helped by a good metabolism. I'm paraphrasing and I could be getting what he said twisted though.

But excessive sweating I suppose isn't what he has in mind. But I remembered a time when I would sweat a lot. I wasn't sure if I was hypothyroid then, but I think I was as people would remark that I had cold hands. As odd as it may seem, as I look back I was cold yet I sweat a lot. Recently, I had an excess of topical progesterone, my temps shot up to 38C, and I was shivering.

Iontophoresis machines simply pass a current through the skin to reduce sweating - I don't know how they work though, whether they effect the nerves, or the glands. Did you sweat a lot on the progesterone?

Dr. Peat said the main thing that damages the kidneys is excess phosphate, so fruits, calcium, sunlight, and saturated fat (so even butter and ghee would be bad for you in this aspect relative to hydrogenated coconut oil) would all push things in the right direction.

I think they're right about the emphasis on your nervous system though. An overactive mind causing hyperventilation and a lack of CO2 is probably the most important factor that drains the kidneys in the first place. But just forcing yourself to breathe less won't help because you will just make yourself hypoxic. Calming the mind will lower your need for oxygen allowing you to breathe less and retain more CO2 without going into hypoxia.

I can't say I've noticed much improvement with any foods or lack of foods - but what you mention about CO2 is interesting. Could that be why I don't find bag breathing very calming at all?

i've had hyperhidrosis since i can remember, mostly my hands and feet. i had surgery for it when i was 16, it just dispersed the sweat.

things that have helped include thyroid, eating enough sugar/salt/calories, and sleeping. ray once told me it might be a histamine thing because mast cells are implicated in sweating. i do think i sweat less on antihistamines but i can't take them all the time in high enough doses to keep me from sweating. my hands are usually sweaty when they are cold, and rarely ever sweat when i feel very warm/have high temps
i've done probably 100 sessions of acupuncture and it never resolved my hyperhidrosis, although i do think it helps with general stress relief and normalizing my menstrual cycle

It's a shame you didn't get any results - I haven't so far, but after only one session that's not a surprise. Did you take Thiroid S?

i also have dark circles under my eyes since i was a kid, which in tcm is a sign of weak kidneys. but tcm recommends eating beans and seaweed for kidney health..

I have this too, I always thought it was liver based but didn't get any issues flagged on a liver function test a year or two ago.

LUH 3417

Thanks everyone for replying!

Iontophoresis machines simply pass a current through the skin to reduce sweating - I don't know how they work though, whether they effect the nerves, or the glands. Did you sweat a lot on the progesterone?

I can't say I've noticed much improvement with any foods or lack of foods - but what you mention about CO2 is interesting. Could that be why I don't find bag breathing very calming at all?

It's a shame you didn't get any results - I haven't so far, but after only one session that's not a surprise. Did you take Thiroid S?

I have this too, I always thought it was liver based but didn't get any issues flagged on a liver function test a year or two ago.
i take cynomel and cynoplus. the reason i think eating and sleeping enough is important is because my sweat is 10x worse if i skip meals and dont get good sleep. did you ever notice if your sweat changes in diff environments? i know that every single time i've gone on a trip, even to miami, my hands and feet will stop sweating for weeks at a time. it's like my body knows i am on vacation and the stress response clicks "off"

OP
P

Peater

i take cynomel and cynoplus. the reason i think eating and sleeping enough is important is because my sweat is 10x worse if i skip meals and dont get good sleep. did you ever notice if your sweat changes in diff environments? i know that every single time i've gone on a trip, even to miami, my hands and feet will stop sweating for weeks at a time. it's like my body knows i am on vacation and the stress response clicks "off"

Not eating doesn't help, but eating plenty doesn't solve it, if that makes sense. Same as coffee - makes it worse, but eliminating coffee doesn't cure it. I haven't noticed any varitations other than the only times I don't seem to are just before bed and when I wake up. I'm OK for an hour or so after waking, coffee or not.

LUH 3417

Not eating doesn't help, but eating plenty doesn't solve it, if that makes sense. Same as coffee - makes it worse, but eliminating coffee doesn't cure it. I haven't noticed any varitations other than the only times I don't seem to are just before bed and when I wake up. I'm OK for an hour or so after waking, coffee or not.
I had a period where I was taking Ayurvedic herbs to drain “pitta” or excess heat and quit caffeine completely and I didn’t sweat at all.
Healthy Pitta™ tablets
But I like coffee to much and don’t feel like taking the herbs.
Keep me posted on the acupuncture. It sounds like your hyper hidrosis is more consistent in the way it presents than mine. Not sweating before sleep and upon waking is same for me, unless I have been under eating in which case I’ll wake up clammy.

OP
P

Peater

I had a period where I was taking Ayurvedic herbs to drain “pitta” or excess heat and quit caffeine completely and I didn’t sweat at all.
Healthy Pitta™ tablets
But I like coffee to much and don’t feel like taking the herbs.
Keep me posted on the acupuncture. It sounds like your hyper hidrosis is more consistent in the way it presents than mine. Not sweating before sleep and upon waking is same for me, unless I have been under eating in which case I’ll wake up clammy.

That's really interesting thanks. How did you find out they were the right herbs for you? I wonder if there might be a Chinese medicine equivalent

lampofred

I think that's a sign of excess growth hormone/acetylcholine. Going on a trip gets people out of the learned helplessness state, which lowers acetylcholine and growth hormone. The standard treatment for hyperhidrosis is anticholinergics. Growth hormone/acetylcholine are also highly associated with phophate, hence the weak kidneys. I think Dr. Peat also said growth hormone is kidney toxic. Eating more fat lowers growth hormone. Fructose and calcium probably do too. I think some antihistamines (but not all) help people sweat less because they are anticholinergic.

I don't even have a concise point I'm trying to make, my sentences are going from idea to idea with no transition... but I'm too lazy to go back and word it to flow better. EDIT: also I think pitta = fat oxidation, (vata = glucose to lactic acid, kapha = glucose to CO2). I think fat oxidation/GH/acetylcholine/phosphate/unsaturated fat are all strongly connected, maybe that's why anti-pitta stuff helps.

Last edited:

LUH 3417

That's really interesting thanks. How did you find out they were the right herbs for you? I wonder if there might be a Chinese medicine equivalent
I was very interested in Ayurveda at the time and from reading books about it deduced that I was probably pitta based on my symptoms and physical appearance.

Edit: I think there should definitely be astringent and sweet Chinese herbs. I have never had luck taking Chinese herbs for sweating tho, even ones that I was prescribed and paid a lot of money for.

Last edited:

LUH 3417

I think that's a sign of excess growth hormone/acetylcholine. Going on a trip gets people out of the learned helplessness state, which lowers acetylcholine and growth hormone. The standard treatment for hyperhidrosis is anticholinergics. Growth hormone/acetylcholine are also highly associated with phophate, hence the weak kidneys. I think Dr. Peat also said growth hormone is kidney toxic. Eating more fat lowers growth hormone. Fructose and calcium probably do too. I think some antihistamines (but not all) help people sweat less because they are anticholinergic.

I don't even have a concise point I'm trying to make, my sentences are going from idea to idea with no transition... but I'm too lazy to go back and word it to flow better. EDIT: also I think pitta = fat oxidation, (vata = glucose to lactic acid, kapha = glucose to CO2). I think fat oxidation/GH/acetylcholine/phosphate/unsaturated fat are all strongly connected, maybe that's why anti-pitta stuff helps.
Hm you could be on to something. I think I do really poorly on low fat diets and really love butter, whole milk, ice cream and creamy foods in general. Do you believe you could switch oxidation types through diet alone?

Last edited:
OP
P

Peater

I was very interested in Ayurveda at the time and from reading books about it deduced that I was probably pitta based on my symptoms and physical appearance.

Edit: I think there should definitely be astringent and sweet Chinese herbs. I have never had luck taking Chinese herbs for sweating tho, even ones that I was prescribed and paid a lot of money for.

Thanks very much, that gives me an another area to explore if this does not give results. Do you have any thoughts on TUDCA with your knowledge of herbs?

The standard treatment for hyperhidrosis is anticholinergics.

Are there any natural or at least Peat approved anticholinergics?

Last edited:

LUH 3417

Thanks very much, that gives me an another area to explore if this does not give results. Do you have any thoughts on TUDCA with your knowledge of herbs?

Are there any natural or at least Peat approved anticholinergics?
Sure anytime. I haven’t but it is something I want to look into based on people recommending it here.

In regards to anticholinergics I believe cyproheptadine is one. I have taken up to 32mg of it over a few weeks and it did not eliminate my sweating.

OP
P

Peater

Sure anytime. I haven’t but it is something I want to look into based on people recommending it here.

In regards to anticholinergics I believe cyproheptadine is one. I have taken up to 32mg of it over a few weeks and it did not eliminate my sweating.

No, me neither. One of the side affects in the leaflet with mine is increased sweating! I only take 2mg before bed (Most of the time)

Last edited:

lampofred

Cyproheptadine - DrugBank "Most antihistamines possess significant anticholinergic properties, but Cyproheptadine exerts only weak anticholinergic actions."

I think I've heard Dr. Peat recommend doxylamine succinate and diphenhydramine if you can find them without toxic excipients.

But I agree taking antihistamines every day is not a long-term solution. As for diet, I think pretty much everything Dr. Peat recommends aims to reduce fat oxidation/stress. Fructose, calcium, saturated fat (I think coconut oil in particular, even more so than butter/ghee/animal fat, since it strongly raises pregnenolone and lowers serotonin), fat soluble vitamins, gelatin, everything that is pro-GABA & anti-excitation.