Kick **** Experience With White Button Mushrooms

dand

What's wrong w/ just sautéing mushrooms in some butter or tallow and covering them? Only takes about 5-10 minutes to get to a nice consistency and I don't really care to take the time to boil.

OP
ecstatichamster
well cooking for 2 hours is what Ray suggests.

Boiling initially boils off the hydrazine which is volatile.

So that's what I do. I find that if I do less, they give me really bad indigestion.

dand

Interesting. I don't have a problem with them so am a bit reluctant to add several hours of boiling time. Are they boiled in chlorine/fluoride free wateR?

Xisca

How and how long are canned mushrooms boiled?
They taste the same as long boiled mushrooms.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Are we not being overly neurotic here? If we're boiling them then we're likely adding fluoridated water to the mix. Thoughts @haidut, do you have an opinion :)?

I think sauteeing is good enough. Especially if it is done with coconut oil or butter. Hydrazine should not be too much of a concern to a person with good metabolism producing H2O2 as it neutralizes hydrazine pretty easily. The fluroride in tap water is a bigger concern, at least to me. I wonder if perchlorate, which is also added to tap water in some counties also may deactivate hydrazine...
Hydrazine • Chemistry • Department of Biology, Chemistry, Pharmacy
"...With hydrogen peroxide hydrazine is instantaneously oxidised to nitrogen and water. The reaction will be violent if the mixture is not sufficiently diluted."

OP
ecstatichamster
I have found something else.

If you take the mushrooms on an empty stomach, once you build up to a few tablespoons, they really do work better (to me) than Ray's carrot salad.

If you take them with food, they still work their wonders lowering estrogen but don't have the same effects on the gut.

Prosper

Work better for what? I could use some better work for a lot of things.

milk_lover

I think sauteeing is good enough. Especially if it is done with coconut oil or butter. Hydrazine should not be too much of a concern to a person with good metabolism producing H2O2 as it neutralizes hydrazine pretty easily. The fluroride in tap water is a bigger concern, at least to me. I wonder if perchlorate, which is also added to tap water in some counties also may deactivate hydrazine...
Hydrazine • Chemistry • Department of Biology, Chemistry, Pharmacy
"...With hydrogen peroxide hydrazine is instantaneously oxidised to nitrogen and water. The reaction will be violent if the mixture is not sufficiently diluted."
This confirmed the answer I got from Peat regarding sautéing mushroom with butter when I have limited time to boil it and if that would be enough to reduce hydrazine and he said YES and added if the mushroom is well heated, the color or transparency will change..

Wagner83

Ok but frying/sauteeing mushrooms in butter for ten minutes does not sound particularly healthy , won't the butter degrade a lot over time? Coconut oil should withstand the heat a bit better.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Ok but frying/sauteeing mushrooms in butter for ten minutes does not sound particularly healthy , won't the butter degrade a lot over time? Coconut oil should withstand the heat a bit better.

I would use coconut oil but it has a lower smoke point, so it can trigger your fire alarm in the building :):

haidut

Forum Supporter
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals