haidut

Forum Supporter
Meet your new beauty ingredient - ketotifen. UV light exposure is one of the main triggers of visible signs of skin aging and contributes to lipofuscin formation as well. It looks like ketotifen may be able to prevent that damage and given its leukotriene and histamine antagonism it may be a good idea to take some before sunbathing. It mimics some of the effects of aspirin, which Ray has recommended to people before as a method of minimizing skin damage and sunburn when out in the sun without a sunblocker.

Mast cell stabilizer, ketotifen, prevents UV-induced wrinkle formation. - PubMed - NCBI

"...In summary, the mast cell stabilizer, ketotifen, significantly prevented UV-induced wrinkle formation, UV-induced skin thickness, and UV-induced increases in mast cell numbers and degranulation. In addition, ketotifen inhibited UV-induced expressions of MMP-13 and MMP-9, as well as inflammatory cell infiltrations, in a dose-dependent manner. Although the dosages used in the present study may represent higher concentrations than those for humans, this study provides a proof-of-concept evidence on the preventive effect of ketotifen on wrinkle formation. These results suggest that the activation of mast cells by UV irradiation participates in wrinkle formation, ECM proteins modification, and inflammation in UV-exposed skin. Here we suggest that the mediators from activated mast cells may contribute to chronic skin inflammation by UV irradiation and provide the concept of targeting dermal mast cells for anti-wrinkle formation and anti-aging strategies."

grenade

So could one just take Zyrtec before going outside to get the benefits, or would only topical application be helpful?

aguilaroja

So could one just take Zyrtec before going outside to get the benefits, or would only topical application be helpful?
Zyrtec is cetirizine, a “2nd generation” (H1 blocker) anti-histamine. It is a metabolite of hydroxyzine (Atarax, Vistaril). It is different than ketotifen (Zaditen, Zaditor), even though both are classified as H1 blocker anti-histamines.

Dr. Peat has made the case to avoid cetirizine (Zyrtec), since it has chloride attached to a carbon ring:
Ray Peat Email Advice Depository

Ketotifen (Zaditen, Zaditor) orally is available OTC in many countries. In the U.S., it is AFAIK only available OTC in eye-drop form.

There are situations when “close” pharmaceutical “relatives” have different properties. For instance, as @haidut has noted, the H2 blocker famotidine (taken for GERD, etc.) has beneficial effects not found for other H2 blockers. Of course, pharma for decades has been asserting that progestins have identical or “better” effects compared with bio-identical progesterone.

grenade

Zyrtec is cetirizine, a “2nd generation” (H1 blocker) anti-histamine. It is a metabolite of hydroxyzine (Atarax, Vistaril). It is different than ketotifen (Zaditen, Zaditor), even though both are classified as H1 blocker anti-histamines.

Dr. Peat has made the case to avoid cetirizine (Zyrtec), since it has chloride attached to a carbon ring:
Ray Peat Email Advice Depository

Ketotifen (Zaditen, Zaditor) orally is available OTC in many countries. In the U.S., it is AFAIK only available OTC in eye-drop form.

There are situations when “close” pharmaceutical “relatives” have different properties. For instance, as @haidut has noted, the H2 blocker famotidine (taken for GERD, etc.) has beneficial effects not found for other H2 blockers. Of course, pharma for decades has been asserting that progestins have identical or “better” effects compared with bio-identical progesterone.

Thanks for the in depth explanation!

LeeLemonoil

Actually, I'd stay away from ketotifen. It seem to powerfully promote NO synthesis, which would negate many of its other benefits especially when taken long run. Cypro and Benadryl are much better, and even as little as 1mg cypro should have antiserotnin and antihistamine effect.

From another thread. So, still better to stay away from Keto ?

managing

Let me preface this by saying that I do not have the final answer on this. But when it comes to NO I think its important to understand balance.

NO stabilizes mast cells, ie, prevents them from releasing histamine excessively or inappropriately. Some inflammatory conditions may be due to insufficient NO, among many other things, or may coexist with insufficient NO.

Nitric oxide: a regulator of mast cell activation and mast cell-mediated inflammation

There are things we tend to focus on limiting (such as serotonin, cortisol, estrogen, NO, etc). It is quite appropriate to have these discussions, as these things are often out of balance on the high side. However, they are necessary and it would be a mistake to try to inhibit them into oblivion.

LeeLemonoil

Let me preface this by saying that I do not have the final answer on this. But when it comes to NO I think its important to understand balance.

NO stabilizes mast cells, ie, prevents them from releasing histamine excessively or inappropriately. Some inflammatory conditions may be due to insufficient NO, among many other things, or may coexist with insufficient NO.

Nitric oxide: a regulator of mast cell activation and mast cell-mediated inflammation

There are things we tend to focus on limiting (such as serotonin, cortisol, estrogen, NO, etc). It is quite appropriate to have these discussions, as these things are often out of balance on the high side. However, they are necessary and it would be a mistake to try to inhibit them into oblivion.

I agree, homeostasis and hormesis are what sometimes seems missing from RP's viewpoints - but yes, we mostly operate under the assumption that these things are usually exceeding the homeostatic range nowadays

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

That was based on old data. Newer studies in humans seem to show it actually lowers NO.

TheBeastPanda

Meet your new beauty ingredient - ketotifen. UV light exposure is one of the main triggers of visible signs of skin aging and contributes to lipofuscin formation as well. It looks like ketotifen may be able to prevent that damage and given its leukotriene and histamine antagonism it may be a good idea to take some before sunbathing. It mimics some of the effects of aspirin, which Ray has recommended to people before as a method of minimizing skin damage and sunburn when out in the sun without a sunblocker.

Mast cell stabilizer, ketotifen, prevents UV-induced wrinkle formation. - PubMed - NCBI

"...In summary, the mast cell stabilizer, ketotifen, significantly prevented UV-induced wrinkle formation, UV-induced skin thickness, and UV-induced increases in mast cell numbers and degranulation. In addition, ketotifen inhibited UV-induced expressions of MMP-13 and MMP-9, as well as inflammatory cell infiltrations, in a dose-dependent manner. Although the dosages used in the present study may represent higher concentrations than those for humans, this study provides a proof-of-concept evidence on the preventive effect of ketotifen on wrinkle formation. These results suggest that the activation of mast cells by UV irradiation participates in wrinkle formation, ECM proteins modification, and inflammation in UV-exposed skin. Here we suggest that the mediators from activated mast cells may contribute to chronic skin inflammation by UV irradiation and provide the concept of targeting dermal mast cells for anti-wrinkle formation and anti-aging strategies."
Where could one source this?

oral or topical intake recommended?

Mossy

Where could one source this?

oral or topical intake recommended?
You can buy it in eye drops as well. I tried it but it made me sick. But, everything makes me sick; others have reported no poor effects from the eye drops.