haidut

Forum Supporter
I am posting this study for those people who need an alternative to thyroid hormone treatment. This is a human study, so it is even more relevant for people with Hashimoto's. Given the main effects of ketotifen as a histamine and leukotriene antagonist, as well as some serotonin antagonism it suggests that other similar chemicals like cyproheptadine or even Benadryl should work as well. It also raises an interesting question about the etiology of "autoimmune" thyroid (and other) diseases, which most endocrinologists will have very hard time explaining - i.e. it is driven by estrogen and histamine antagonists (which block estrogen's effects) are therapeutic. Recently, there has been a push for treating ALL autoimmune conditions with the same drugs, which include the immunosuppressants Humira, Otesla, etc. If all autoimmune conditions are treatable with the same drug, then maybe ketotifen will help MS, lupus, RA, psoriasis, systemic sclerosis, etc. Well, for at least one of these other "autoimmune" conditions (e.g. systemic sclerosis) there is evidence that ketotifen is extremely effective (Systemic sclerosis. - PubMed - NCBI). But don't expect to see ads for ketotifen on TV. It is nowhere near as profitable as the immunosuppressants listed above.
The ketotifen dose was 2mg daily for 6 weeks. The only drawback to ketotifen therapy was that it had to be taken continuously, otherwise the symptoms come back.

Levothyroxine versus ketotifen in the treatment of patients with chronic urticaria and thyroid autoimmunity. - PubMed - NCBI

"...RESULTS: Ketotifen treatment provided significant relief of symptoms. However, these beneficial effects were observed only in ongoing treatment. Symptoms reappeared in all patients during the drug-free follow-up period. On the other hand, 18 of 30 patients were completely improved and three patients partially improved with levothyroxine treatment. Symptoms did not recur in the completely improved patients."

Evgenius

Ketotifen gave me very strong autoimmune attack, so strong that I will probably never try it again.

Evgenius

What were your symptoms? Do you have an autoimmune condition? Have you tried cyproheptadine?

Lupus-like symptoms on my fingers with only 2 doses of ketotifen that took almost a month to disappear. I have not tried cypro.

barbparadise

I wonder if this would work for auto immune hepatitis. I was in remission for a year but have recently flared. I have been following a peat diet for the year I was in remission and supplement with:
Kuinone 3 mg
Aspirin 325 mg
Niacinamide 125 mg
Vitamin d3 2000iu
Wp thyroid 90 mg
Glysine
Caffeine
Pregnenolone 30 mg
Tyronene 24 mcg

I was using cyproheptadine for awhile but stopped before my liver enzymes shot up to 225. I loved it but I know it does affect liver enzymes. I don't think that was the reason my enzymes went up.

I was hoping to stay in remission with the supplements and peat diet. I can't figure out what I need to do to stay in remission. Right now I have resorted to being put on UDCA until my enzymes are back down. I don't want to do the glucocorticoids.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut When you said for people that need an alternative to thyroid were you referring to people with hashimotos or general thyroid issues could benefit from ketotifen?

Well, the study is only for people with Hashimoto. Nut sure if it would have effect on typical "central" hypothyroidism with high TSH and no thyroid antibodies, but it can certainly be tried. It would be great to have another option besides thyroid for treating common hypothyroidism.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Does it have dopamine antagonism similar to cyproheptadine?

Similar profile to cypro so yes. It seems to be mostly a 5-HT2B antagonist, hence the strong antifibrotic effect so cypro is probably a broader acting anti-serotonin. But they are very similar and ketotifen is a leukotriene antagonist and PDE inhibitor, and these are rare qualities in a drug that is safe for most people and been in use for decades.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I wonder if this would work for auto immune hepatitis. I was in remission for a year but have recently flared. I have been following a peat diet for the year I was in remission and supplement with:
Kuinone 3 mg
Aspirin 325 mg
Niacinamide 125 mg
Vitamin d3 2000iu
Wp thyroid 90 mg
Glysine
Caffeine
Pregnenolone 30 mg
Tyronene 24 mcg

I was using cyproheptadine for awhile but stopped before my liver enzymes shot up to 225. I loved it but I know it does affect liver enzymes. I don't think that was the reason my enzymes went up.

I was hoping to stay in remission with the supplements and peat diet. I can't figure out what I need to do to stay in remission. Right now I have resorted to being put on UDCA until my enzymes are back down. I don't want to do the glucocorticoids.

Ketotifen has been tried successfully for liver fibrosis/cirrhosis, to which hepatitis invariably leads if left untreated. It is also a strong anti-inflammatory due to leukotriene antagonist and antihistamine properties. So, probably not a bad idea to ask your doctor about it.

I am posting this study for those people who need an alternative to thyroid hormone treatment. This is a human study, so it is even more relevant for people with Hashimoto's. Given the main effects of ketotifen as a histamine and leukotriene antagonist, as well as some serotonin antagonism it suggests that other similar chemicals like cyproheptadine or even Benadryl should work as well. It also raises an interesting question about the etiology of "autoimmune" thyroid (and other) diseases, which most endocrinologists will have very hard time explaining - i.e. it is driven by estrogen and histamine antagonists (which block estrogen's effects) are therapeutic. Recently, there has been a push for treating ALL autoimmune conditions with the same drugs, which include the immunosuppressants Humira, Otesla, etc. If all autoimmune conditions are treatable with the same drug, then maybe ketotifen will help MS, lupus, RA, psoriasis, systemic sclerosis, etc. Well, for at least one of these other "autoimmune" conditions (e.g. systemic sclerosis) there is evidence that ketotifen is extremely effective (Systemic sclerosis. - PubMed - NCBI). But don't expect to see ads for ketotifen on TV. It is nowhere near as profitable as the immunosuppressants listed above.
The ketotifen dose was 2mg daily for 6 weeks. The only drawback to ketotifen therapy was that it had to be taken continuously, otherwise the symptoms come back.

Levothyroxine versus ketotifen in the treatment of patients with chronic urticaria and thyroid autoimmunity. - PubMed - NCBI

"...RESULTS: Ketotifen treatment provided significant relief of symptoms. However, these beneficial effects were observed only in ongoing treatment. Symptoms reappeared in all patients during the drug-free follow-up period. On the other hand, 18 of 30 patients were completely improved and three patients partially improved with levothyroxine treatment. Symptoms did not recur in the completely improved patients."
this is very interesting haidut. my doctor thinks me/cfs may be related to MCAS. I also have reactivity to mold which may be related to mast cells. Cypro is no longer working well enough for me and I've been trying to get on stronger mast cell stabilizers. What do you think about cromolyn? So far it has no effect. How about quercetin? I am considering buying ketotifen as I have heard it is stronger. My pcp recommended cetrizine and loratadine at high doses but I think ray thinks they are bad and estrogenic. Oh--rupatadine is another one thats interesting as it does decrease some cytokines and is a mast cell stabilizer as well as antihistamine.

Mauritio

Ketotifen has been tried successfully for liver fibrosis/cirrhosis, to which hepatitis invariably leads if left untreated. It is also a strong anti-inflammatory due to leukotriene antagonist and antihistamine properties. So, probably not a bad idea to ask your doctor about it.
Do you have a source for the studies ? Haven't found anything on ketotifen and liver fibrosis/cirrhosis?

koshko

I remember you mentioned in somewhere that your friend make her brain lesions disappear with ketotifen, right? I am "diagnosed" with MS (last year) and hashimoto's (this year). I tried t3,t4 and ketotifen both together and seperately . What are your thoughts about taking thyroid and ketotifen together? I ended my experiment because one of them gave me restless leg and numbness while i was using, it got worse when i quit. I never had any ms-like symptoms before. I really would like to have some success story with ketotifen and might try again.