haidut

Forum Supporter
Many people on the forum have reported struggling with poor digestion, and some have experienced relief by taking digestive enzymes. Peat and many other researchers have written about the connection between poor digestion and virtually all chronic conditions. The pancreas can get damaged by a number of assaults, including dietary/metabolic ones like PUFA and alcohol, excess iron, NO, excess histamine/epinephrine, etc as well as external toxins like ionizing radiation, phthalates, bisphenols, heavy metals, and even lack of sun. It is well-known that pancreatic function declines with age and restoring it to youthful levels brings about improved health and vitality. Unfortunately, there are very few interventions known to improve pancreatic function after it has been damaged. Extracts from pancreatic glands and digestive enzymes are the two most commonly used options, and the ones with most research behind them. However, it has not really been shown that enzymes improve the health of the pancreas itself as opposed to simply providing the missing enzymes needed for digestion.
This Russian study (for which I can't get the full text unfortunately) shows that the HED of 1mg - 2mg ketotifen daily can restore pancreatic function and impaired digestion brought about by anaphylactic shock. This shock state is characterized by elevated histamine/adrenaline levels, which are some of the endogenous agents (listed above) known to damage the pancreas.
I think cyproheptadine may be able to do the same, but I have no direct study to quote. Ketotifen and cyproheptadine are essentially the same molecule, but ketotifen seems to be milder on the liver and the billiary tract.

[Correction with zaditen of impaired activity of pancreatic digestive enzymes in sensitization and anaphylactic shock]. - PubMed - NCBI

"...The effect of the antihistaminic drug zaditen on the activity of pancreatic digestive enzymes was studied in white rats under sensitization and anaphylactic shock conditions. The sensitization and anaphylaxis are accompanied by significant changes in the spectrum and activity of pancreatic enzymes (alpha amylase, protease complex, lipase), leading to disorders in the digestion and assimilation of proteins, fats, and carbohydrates. Zaditen reduced negative changes in the enzyme secretion system of pancreas under conditions of this pathology."

Last edited:

Regina

Many people on the forum have reported struggling with poor digestion, and some have experienced relief by taking digestive enzymes. Peat and many other researchers have written about the connection between poor digestion and virtually all chronic conditions. The pancreas can get damaged by a number of assaults, including dietary/metabolic ones like PUFA and alcohol, excess iron, NO, excess histamine/epinephrine, etc as well as external toxins like ionizing radiation, phthalates, bisphenols, heavy metals, and even lack of sun. It is well-known that pancreatic function declines with age and restoring it to youthful levels brings about improved health and vitality. Unfortunately, there are very few interventions known to improve pancreatic function after it has been damaged. Extracts from pancreatic glands and digestive enzymes are the two most commonly used options, and the ones with most research behind them. However, it has not really been shown that enzymes improve the health of the pancreas itself as opposed to simply providing the missing enzymes needed for digestion.
This Russian study (for which I can't get the full text unfortunately) shows that the HED of 1mg - 2mg ketotifen daily can restore pancreatic function and impaired digestion brought about by anaphylactic shock. This shock state is characterized by elevated histamine/adrenaline levels, which are some of the endogenous agents (listed above) known to damage the pancreas.
I think cyproheptadine may be able to do the same, but I have no direct study to quote. Ketotifen and cyproheptadine are essentially the same molecule, but ketotifen seems to be milder on the liver and the billiary tract.

[Correction with zaditen of impaired activity of pancreatic digestive enzymes in sensitization and anaphylactic shock]. - PubMed - NCBI

"...The effect of the antihistaminic drug zaditen on the activity of pancreatic digestive enzymes was studied in white rats under sensitization and anaphylactic shock conditions. The sensitization and anaphylaxis are accompanied by significant changes in the spectrum and activity of pancreatic enzymes (alpha amylase, protease complex, lipase), leading to disorders in the digestion and assimilation of proteins, fats, and carbohydrates. Zaditen reduced negative changes in the enzyme secretion system of pancreas under conditions of this pathology."
IdeaLabs Shocknon???

managing

Ketotifen is OTC in most countries. I've used it. It comes in 1mg tablets. Thing is, one tablet will knock me out and leave me groggy for the entire next day. I use it mainly for when I need a little help with sleep. Except now I just use a little nibble, probably between 1/16 and 1/32 of a tablet. That will gently help me sleep through the night and not leave me too terribly groggy the next day. But even then I may need an extra cup of coffee . . .

Regina

Ketotifen is OTC in most countries. I've used it. It comes in 1mg tablets. Thing is, one tablet will knock me out and leave me groggy for the entire next day. I use it mainly for when I need a little help with sleep. Except now I just use a little nibble, probably between 1/16 and 1/32 of a tablet. That will gently help me sleep through the night and not leave me too terribly groggy the next day. But even then I may need an extra cup of coffee . . .
Thanks for sharing this.

tallglass13

@haidut, you did warn us to stay away from Ketotifen due to its nitric oxide induction on June 11 2016.. have you changed your mind also is it a pde5 inhibitor would this enhance erections. ..thanks

Pet Peeve

I applied 0,2 mg through eyedrops and experienced lethargy too, on the positive side it seemed to have some of aspirins antidepressant effect.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut, you did warn us to stay away from Ketotifen due to its nitric oxide induction on June 11 2016.. have you changed your mind also is it a pde5 inhibitor would this enhance erections. ..thanks

Yes, newer studies with humans showed it actually lowers iNOS and the PDE inhbition is similar to caffeine. It is also a leukotriene antagonist, which a very rare quality and reverses brain aging as per another study.
Blocking Inflammation From PUFA Reverses Brain Aging

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

Yes, that was the original study that got me spooked but the concentration they used is not achievable in humans as it would requite hundreds of milligrams per dose. Also, the blood pressure lowering effects could be from serotonin antagonism. Cypro also lowers blood pressure and it does not increase NO. Also, in more recent human studies ketotifen lowered NO, so it may be a species-specific effect. Given its potent anti-inflammatory effects the systemic effects of ketotifen are probably not pro-NO but it helps to keep this study in mind as perspective.

Last edited:

Raincoast

Now I'm at odds on whether taking Cyproheptadine long term is advisable considering it ups NO despite all of its other qualities.
I take it mainly for sleep, but also for allergies, and to help with IBS.
Can Ketotifen work in all these areas? Better for long term use?
IdeaLabs to put this into production as well at some point ?

paymanz

It is interesting drug,I like to know ray's opinion, I guess he is OK with it.

there is studies reporting improvement in sperm quality and male infertility too.
Probably due to tnf alpha lowering effect and also PDE(like caffeine and penthoxifylline) as haidut said.

And one difference between it and other anti histamins is that it is also a mast cell stabilizer on top of its h1 antagonist effect.

Some bodybuilders use it after steroid cycle to upregulated beta receptor which I didn't understand very well.

@Raincoast can you please post references for NO increasing effect of cypro?

Last edited:
O

oldfriend

Anybody know if Ketotifen has the same Dopamine-reducing effects as Cyproheptadine?

Mossy

I applied 0,2 mg through eyedrops and experienced lethargy too, on the positive side it seemed to have some of aspirins antidepressant effect.
Hi paymanz, do you have any other experience with the ketotifen eye drops and any benefits you've gained from use? I ask, because I'm having what seems to be an allergic or negative reaction to over-the-counter ketotifen eye drops I've purchased at a pharmacy. My intent is to use the eye drops, in lieu of the oral prescription, to improve digestion. Maybe this is laughable, I don't know -- but I had just assumed my body would still be getting the drug, just not via the normal route.

Thanks for any insight.

Pet Peeve

Hi paymanz, do you have any other experience with the ketotifen eye drops and any benefits you've gained from use? I ask, because I'm having what seems to be an allergic or negative reaction to over-the-counter ketotifen eye drops I've purchased at a pharmacy. My intent is to use the eye drops, in lieu of the oral prescription, to improve digestion. Maybe this is laughable, I don't know -- but I had just assumed my body would still be getting the drug, just not via the normal route.

Thanks for any insight.

The eyedrops that are not in tiny single use containers contain a preservative that some people react to. You can eat the eyedrops, or you can order pills from eBay or similar.

Mossy

The eyedrops that are not in tiny single use containers contain a preservative that some people react to. You can eat the eyedrops, or you can order pills from eBay or similar.
Oh, that's interesting. So, even the drops with preservatives you can eat.

For reference, it looks like the preservative is benzalkonium chloride .01%. And, it does state for topical ophthalmic use only. I'm guessing they legally have to state that.

Thanks for your help.

P.S. After a quick bit of research, I'll stay clear of benzalkonium chloride -- that most likely was the cause of my negative reaction to those eye drops.

Last edited:
This Russian study (for which I can't get the full text unfortunately)
Here you are. Коррекция задитеном нарушений активности пищеварительных ферментов поджелудочной железы при сенсибилизации и анафилактическом шоке | Исмаилов | Экспериментальная и клиническая фармакология
In Russian, unfortunately. The study was actually made in Uzbekistan. And interestingly the same author has another study on antihistamines and pancreas made some years before the study on ketotifen, the drug was quifenadine Quifenadine - Wikipedia. There is no easy way to get that older study even in Russian, I'll try. Interestingly in Tashkent, Uzbekistan in 1996 someщту made very similar study on pancreas and quifenadine.

I have a chronic pancreatitis since childhood and I decided to give a try to antihistamines. So Im going to check my pancreas before and after, will post results here.

Last edited:
OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Here you are. Коррекция задитеном нарушений активности пищеварительных ферментов поджелудочной железы при сенсибилизации и анафилактическом шоке | Исмаилов | Экспериментальная и клиническая фармакология
In Russian, unfortunately. The study was actually made in Uzbekistan. And interestingly the same author has another study on antihistamines and pancreas made some years before the study on ketotifen, the drug was quifenadine Quifenadine - Wikipedia. There is no easy way to get that older study even in Russian, I'll try. Interestingly in Tashkent, Uzbekistan in 1996 some made very similar study on pancreas and quifenadine.

I have a chronic pancreatitis since childhood and I decided to give a try to antihistamines. So Im going to check my pancreas before and after posting result here.

Thanks, I will read it and see if anything specific stands out. Btw, quifenadine is a powerful blockers of 5-HT2, so its protective effects on pancreas are not surprising.
Also, if you are interested in getting other Russian studies, the website below has many of them for free. Probably even that older study you mentioned.
www.elibrary.ru

Finally, another related thread, very much in line with the study on ketotifen and giving further support on trying serotonin blockers for your condition.
Serotonin As The Cause Of Acute Pancreatitis

Last edited:
Thanks, I will read it and see if anything specific stands out. Btw, quifenadine is a powerful blockers of 5-HT2, so its protective effects on pancreas are not surprising.

Did you get something interesting? Im finishning my doxy 200mgx14days and will start ketotifen after it.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Did you get something interesting? Im finishning my doxy 200mgx14days and will start ketotifen after it.

I think ketotifen is safer than the other chemical mentioned.

Anybody know if Ketotifen has the same Dopamine-reducing effects as Cyproheptadine?
Yesterday I took just 0.5 mg of ketotifen. Never again I take. Worst anti-dopamine effect ever. Got myself depressed as hell, this degree of depression I dint have for months. There is a small positive side it gave me refreshing sleep and I can even remember what I dreamed. Not a good trade-off anyway.