Ketosis and It's Effects on Tissue Unsaturation

Discussion in 'Articles & Scientific Studies' started by jandrade1997, Dec 28, 2013.

1. jandrade1997

jandrade1997 Member

While doing some research on ketosis and free fatty acid metabolism, I came across this interesting study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16125522
    Essentially, ketosis reduces DHA and other PUFAs in the fat and blood, and increases their presence in the brain and liver (by quite substantial amounts).I was hoping I could get a Peatarian opinion on these results. Obviously the substantial reduction of fat and blood PUFAs is awesome. The increase in DHA and AA in the brain that the authors reasoned to be neuroprotective would, I believe, be considered awful according to Ray Peat (I'm not fully clear on this topic). However, literature seems to overwhelmingly support DHA's crucial functions in the brain. The one thing that looks pretty clearly negative is the increased PUFA content in liver triglycerides. I'd love to hear you guys's thoughts on this study.

2. Mittir

Mittir Member

It is nice you are researching on these topics and you have made several posts
    in similar manner. I have replied to some of your posts. It seems like i will be
    repeating the same things i posted before. Do you ever plan to read
    Ray Peat's articles? His whole website is full of articles explaining why
    he thinks PUFAs like DHA are harmful and how release of stored PUFA
    damages the whole system.

3. jyb

jyb Member

I don't know when it comes to the brain, though. The ketones and lactate levels in newborn brains makes me think about whether the brain should be considered apart.

4. j.

j. Guest

Newborns have high iron?

5. kiran

kiran Member

You know I imagine birth is highly stressful. Plus I imagine babies died at birth all the time before modern medicine. I'm not sure that newborns are a good model of optimal health.

It appears that the newborn's sugar supply is generally shaky. Again, I'm not sure that this is a good ideal.

6. Mittir

Mittir Member

RP did mention in Josh Rubin "Milk and Calcium" interview that babies are born with
    high amount of iron and can live up to an year without any extra iron.
    I find it interesting that Infants and older people both are high in iron
    and they both need low iron foods like milk.

7. fyo

fyo Member

Peat has a lot of writing on PUFA, even fish fats specifically, for exampe, http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/fishoil.shtml . Animals on on PUFA-free diets are remarkably resistant to disease.

I'm aware of the existence of literature advocating for omega 3's, or PUFA in general. Just because that literature exists though, doesn't mean its claims are true/accurate. How scientific is that literature? How industry-infludenced is it, and what of journal editor's bias? How realistic are the experiments? How deficient are the animal diets? How long-term are the studies? What about contradictory literature? What is the biological context of PUFA (i.e. cold-climate)?

Peat highlights questions like this, in a way that contradicts commonly-propogated narratives, narratives about things like genes, 'essential fatty acids', 'ionizing radiation', etc. In my opinion this is half the value of Peat's writings.
    I agree with this. Peat mentions:
    I found this old image of mortality: [​IMG]