Ketogenic diets inhibit mitochondrial biogenesis and induce cardiac fibrosis

rei

Herein, we reported that prolonged KD exposure induced cardiac fibrosis. In rats, KD or frequent deep fasting decreased mitochondrial biogenesis, reduced cell respiration, and increased cardiomyocyte apoptosis and cardiac fibrosis. Mechanistically, increased levels of the ketone body β-hydroxybutyrate (β-OHB), an HDAC2 inhibitor, promoted histone acetylation of the Sirt7 promoter and activated Sirt7 transcription. This in turn inhibited the transcription of mitochondrial ribosome-encoding genes and mitochondrial biogenesis, leading to cardiomyocyte apoptosis and cardiac fibrosis. Exogenous β-OHB administration mimicked the effects of a KD in rats. Notably, increased β-OHB levels and SIRT7 expression, decreased mitochondrial biogenesis, and increased cardiac fibrosis were detected in human atrial fibrillation heart tissues.

OP
R

rei

This is a quite surprising result, seeing all the benefits ketosis has proven to also have. Especially exogenous ketone administration in humans having similar detrimental effect, when even ray has been cautiously optimistic about their use.

I would be interested in seeing a study with moderate stearic acid intake during ketosis and/or ketone administration as it is mitochondrial superfood and causes mitochondrial biogenesis.

Last edited:

Fexxx

The mice were mainly fed with cacao butter. No veggies, berries ect.
So this was NOT a keto Diet. That was a stupid nonsense experiment.

OP
R

rei

Sorry i don't have any sources to provide now, but quite a lot of "treatments" have been documented from it. Similarly as fasting, it can "shock" your body out of maladaptation, and easily cure diabetes etc.

Though from what i have read it seems fasting is a heathier, and more effective way to achieve it without the downsides. Epilepsy is maybe the only indication where maintaining a ketogenic diet is indicated.

Jam

Yeah, so drowning rats in PUFA makes them sick. I couldn't find any mention of what exactly they fed these poor rats, but 99% of the studies using a "high-fat" diet use some sort of vegetable oil and lard from industrial pigs which is extremely high in PUFA. Next?? Wake me up when they start using high saturated fat chow.