Ketogenic Diets And Cortisol/adrenaline

Samya

Native American foods: History, culture, and influence on modern diets - ScienceDirect

This is a great article on what native Americans ate. Also, there is a video by Chris Masterjohn on how the Inuit are uniquely adapted to their native diet.

What I found interesting is how according to Chris, the Inuits genes actually prevent them from entering ketosis and increase gluconeogenesis. You would think those genetically adapted to a VLC diet would have an adaptation maximising 'nutritional ketosis' and be glucose sparing. Chris updated his theory recently, saying that due to hypothermia increasing acidosis that combining this with ketosis in Arctic conditions could lead to pathological ketoacidosis, so that may be why ketosis is genetically prevented in the Inuit.

As much as I love the carnivore rationale, their avoidance of plant toxins, and the fact that we are anatomically very well adapted to eating animal foods, all of those low carb guys tend to forget that it’s saturated fat we are after just like all mammals, NOT hundreds of grams of protein as per Saladino.

I think Saladino is actually a high fat/nose to tail guy.

I believe he proposes 1:1 protein to fat ratio in grams, which for someone like an adult male is easily over 200g of protein per day

not sure how cookie cutter he is about that. I’ve seen plenty carnivores telling newbies to go high protein, and not many pushing for low amounts. Again, my guess is it’s a matter of sensitivity to dopamine VS GABA.

Native American foods: History, culture, and influence on modern diets - ScienceDirect

This is a great article on what native Americans ate. Also, there is a video by Chris Masterjohn on how the Inuit are uniquely adapted to their native diet.
I'll check it out. Thanks.

The Inuit ingest a lot of PUFA from fish, and PUFA turns more easily into ketones than SFAs and MUFA, so I think that's why they developed that adaptation.
I believe he proposes 1:1 protein to fat ratio in grams, which for someone like an adult male is easily over 200g of protein per day

not sure how cookie cutter he is about that. I’ve seen plenty carnivores telling newbies to go high protein, and not many pushing for low amounts. Again, my guess is it’s a matter of sensitivity to dopamine VS GABA.
Last time I watched a podcast with Saladino, he said he was trying to eat less protein due to excess protein turning into glucose and raising his blood sugar. He said he was trying to keep his protein intake around 120 grams per day, which isn't high, in my opinion. But before that, he was eating 3 pounds of meat, which is probably around 300 grams of protein if the meat is lean. Quite a lot of protein.

Last edited:
100 grams ;)

I think it’s cortisol, dopamine and adrenaline that raise low carbers’ blood sugar and HBA1c. Especially when they start caring too much about being hardcore gym athletes for the gram, and that shoots up cortisol and adrenaline even more. They don’t really wanna admit it tho and give GNG too much credit imo.

saladino (and Baker) should train less, on top of reducing phosphorus / protein

Last edited:
Ops. haha, sorry, I meant to type 120 grams, not 10. :oops:

100 grams ;)

I think it’s cortisol, dopamine and adrenaline that raise low carbers’ blood sugar and HBA1c. They don’t really wanna admit it tho and give GNG too much credit imo
Shawn Baker's blood glucose is pretty high. He does lots of high intensity, extreme exercises, so I wouldn't be surpised if his cortisol levels are high. His testosterone is tanked. He's so low that he's in the hypogonadal range.

Right, I was editing my post to discuss my theory on whys and how’s in depth a lil bit more. Turns out we’ve got the same conclusions

glad that this forum is a concentrate of incredibly rational people :)

I think ketogenic athletes (and high adrenaline athletes) should train Bulgarian style if they want to remain healthy ish. Very, very low volume. One or two heavy reps and a lot of salt, and out.

SnickeD

As much as I love the carnivore rationale, their avoidance of plant toxins, and the fact that we are anatomically very well adapted to eating animal foods, all of those low carb guys tend to forget that it’s saturated fat we are after just like all mammals, NOT hundreds of grams of protein as per Saladino, NOT high phosphorus possibly maybe balanced out with high calcium as per Saladino, NOT high calcium/magnesium ratios (does Saladino talk about magnesium?), and well, we want sugar for our brains. That’s just the easiest way to feed it: liver glycogen supplying sugar.

This is how we run optimally. I don’t think it’s debatable in truly healthy humans with HBA1c around 5% at most? Liver glycogen nice and stable, EZPZ.

In insulin resistant people / T2D - yeah, avoid sugar for a while, I suppose. There’s a lot to undo internally before feeding them sugar.

even then, I’m not convinced their insulin resistance isn’t basically a lack of bio available nutrients per calories.
Paul saladino gets about 100 grams of carbs from honey and fruit a day. He is still high fat, but added in tropical fruit and honey.