Keto Diet Ray Peat Modification?

A.R

From what I've seen, keto diets can be a very effective way to lose excess weight quite fast, but obviously it damaging to the body long term.

Is there anyway to modify the diet to keep the good effects to last, without damaging long term?

olive

You can lose weight just as effectively on high carb, low fat. Which I believe to be healthier due to the better micronutrient content of carbs over fats and less endotoxin risk.

The thing is the body can optimise for one way or the other. Keto is effective because it’s optimising the body for one energy substrate - fats. High carb, low fat (carbosis as @tyw put it) is just as, if not more effective. I think a lot of the issues with the large amount of weight gain seen on a “Peat” diet is people tend to get stuck in a limbo of high fat and high carb, never optimising one over the other. Leading to elevated FFA, insulin resistance and weight gain.

Despite all this, if you still wish to do keto then I’d suggest heavy supplementation. Track everything you are eating on chronometer and fill any gaps with supplements. B1, magnesium, potassium are the few I can think of from the top of my head that would be hard, if not impossible, to acquire on keto.

You’ll lose weight quickly upon starting a keto diet as you will quickly burn through all your glycogen stores in the muscle. Roughly speaking 1 part glycogen holds on to 3-4 parts water. So if you have a glycogen storage capacity of 500g (about avg for a man) within 1-3 days you’ll lose 2-2.5kg of glycogen/water from within the muscle. Don’t confuse this for fat loss, which will happen much slower and will depend on your caloric intake and metabolism. Upon refeeding with carbs the glycogen/water weight will pack on quickly. So the 2-2.5kg loss is only temporary (assuming you don’t plan to do keto forever)

Last edited:
OP
A.R

A.R

You can lose weight just as effectively on high carb, low fat. Which I believe to be healthier due to the better micronutrient content of carbs over fats and less endotoxin risk.

The thing is the body can optimise for one way or the other. Keto is effective because it’s optimising the body for one energy substrate - fats. High carb, low fat (carbosis as @tyw put it) is just as, if not more effective. I think a lot of the issues with the large amount of weight gain seen on a “Peat” diet is people tend to get stuck in a limbo of high fat and high carb, never optimising one over the other. Leading to elevated FFA, insulin resistance and weight gain.

Despite all this, if you still wish to do keto then I’d suggest heavy supplementation. Track everything you are eating on chronometer and fill any gaps with supplements. B1, magnesium, potassium are the few I can think of from the top of my head that would be hard, if not impossible, to acquire on keto.

You’ll lose weight quickly upon starting a keto diet as you will quickly burn through all your glycogen stores in the muscle. Roughly speaking 1 part glycogen holds on to 3-4 parts water. So if you have a glycogen storage capacity of 500g (about avg for a man) within 1-3 days you’ll lose 2-2.5kg of glycogen/water from within the muscle. Don’t confuse this for fat loss, which will happen much slower and will depend on your caloric intake and metabolism. Upon refeeding with carbs the glycogen/water weight will pack on quickly. So the 2-2.5kg loss is only temporary (assuming you don’t plan to do keto forever)
Some solid advice there thanks you .

The problem with hight carb/fruit diet is I have a real problem of feeling satiated, any tips on how to correct that?

olive

Some solid advice there thanks you .

The problem with hight carb/fruit diet is I have a real problem of feeling satiated, any tips on how to correct that?
Hunger can occur due to a micronutrient deficiency. So ensure sufficient intake via chronometer.
However if you’re overweight it’s likely your ghrelin is all messed up and the hunger might be unavoidable. I say accept it, lose the weight then re-introduce a more satiating diet.
Eating according to the circadian ryhthym helps in my experience. No late night snacking. No blue light past sundown. Wake with the sun. Expose eyes to sunlight in the AM.