Ketamine Infusion For Treatment Resistant Depression

miko

What do you think about it? It's NMDA receptor antagonist that increase neuroplasticity damaged with stress.

haidut

Forum Supporter
miko said:
What do you think about it? It's NMDA receptor antagonist that increase neuroplasticity damaged with stress.

Same effect can be achieved with magnesium, which is also an NMDA antagonist, with a much broader profile and much safer than ketamine. Also, magnesium is GABA agonist and that has been shown to have antidepressant effects as well.
See below study.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16542786

mujuro

I have used ketamine explicitly for its antidepressant effects. I knew a guy who knew a guy who got into touch with someone who was undertaking one of the studies. There were a set of instructions to follow in order to mimic the blood levels of an infusion. There is a minor high, but nothing that 2 or 3 shots of vodka wouldn't match.

Not to downplay the effectiveness of natural remedies, but I have never felt anything that was as fast acting or as potent an antidepressant as ketamine was. In addition to that, the antidepressant effects can last weeks. It really helped me through a rough number of months.

EDIT - haidut, is there any danger to soaking in a magnesium sulfate bath 3 or 4 times per week? I am concerned that it would lead to hypermagnesemia. I soak in one after my workouts, and I definitely feel a calming effect.

CoolTweetPete

There is a stand-up comedian Neal Brennan who talks explicitly about using ketamine to treat his depression. He was on SSRIs and various curious substances like L-Tryptophan and 5-HTP for years and nothing worked until he tried ketamine. You can literally hear the depression lifted from his voice.

Amazing stuff. I'll keep it in mind in case I get the blues someday. :)

James_001

mujuro said:
post 95980 I have used ketamine explicitly for its antidepressant effects. I knew a guy who knew a guy who got into touch with someone who was undertaking one of the studies. There were a set of instructions to follow in order to mimic the blood levels of an infusion. There is a minor high, but nothing that 2 or 3 shots of vodka wouldn't match.

Not to downplay the effectiveness of natural remedies, but I have never felt anything that was as fast acting or as potent an antidepressant as ketamine was. In addition to that, the antidepressant effects can last weeks. It really helped me through a rough number of months.

EDIT - haidut, is there any danger to soaking in a magnesium sulfate bath 3 or 4 times per week? I am concerned that it would lead to hypermagnesemia. I soak in one after my workouts, and I definitely feel a calming effect.

Do you still have access to these instructions? I usually just have a full ketamine trip and then ride the afterglow for awhile, but I would prefer to microdose. I agree that magnessium is not nearly as powerful as Ketamine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Parsifal

Do you think that extreme and long term apathy/anhedonia might be caused by NDMA receptors as well? I feel that it might be a low dopamine issue (especially in the frontal cortex).

haidut

Forum Supporter
Parsifal said:
post 112107 Do you think that extreme and long term apathy/anhedonia might be caused by NDMA receptors as well? I feel that it might be a low dopamine issue (especially in the frontal cortex).

Recent study found that anhedonia in depression was caused by chronic inflamation. High brain serotonin can also cause it. I am not aware of any studies on NMDA role in anhedonia.

Parsifal

haidut said:
Parsifal said:
post 112107 Do you think that extreme and long term apathy/anhedonia might be caused by NDMA receptors as well? I feel that it might be a low dopamine issue (especially in the frontal cortex).

Recent study found that anhedonia in depression was caused by chronic inflamation. High brain serotonin can also cause it. I am not aware of any studies on NMDA role in anhedonia.
Thanks haidut for your generosity and for sharing these informations, I guess that you're a busy man so I really appreciate to have you taking the time to help me with a lot of my questions and messages!

I've been trying a lot of things these last months to reduce the serotonin and inflammation (1g of theanine/day, caffeine, aspirin, no starch, a lot of fruits and sugar, calcium, gelatin, enough proteins, NDT, getting enough vitamins and minerals, estroban, energin, red light, etc). Now my attention is a bit better but not that much, I'm still suffering from mild to severe ADD, apathy (lack of will and motivation, dullness, numbness) and anhedonia.
I don't really think that I have depression, my problem seems more complex than that as I don't really feel sad emotions or anything. It's just that I don't feel orgasm while having sexual activities or any emotions (just stress when it happens) at all.

If I think that it is a dopamine problem, that's because the last time when I ate a lot of dark chocolate I was surprised to feel some positive emotions 1 hour after and mild orgasm after sex. But it is high in resveratrol so I believe that it also increased serotonin as I had a bit of anxiety, digestive issues, cold hands and buzzing ears after few days eating it so had to stopped.
Moreover, today I had a strong experience, I went to the flat of a friend that smoked a joint while I was talking to him (I didn't smoke). I stayed there during 2 hours and then left but I inhaled a bit of the smoke as well while staying there and felt some of the effects raising while talking to him. I've started to become really more concentrated and motivated to talk and share with the guy, my thought process became really deeper and my attention too. I felt really more playful as well.
When I left his flat I was really surprised to notice in the street how different my perception and cognitive process were from usual. The colors were really more vivid as were my perceptions (like when I was a child, now in normal times it is numb and hazy), my perception bandwidth and attention increased a lot as well. I felt centered and with a deep consciousness (usually I feel shallow) and motivated to do things, really the opposite from learned helplessness and hibernation.
The music I had in my earphones seemed really deeper, more vivid and I was feeling emotions from listening to it. My body was really more flexible than usual and I had not a single spasm today. I believe that it might even help me for my resistant constipation... Gave me some appetite (I don't feel hungry at all, even if I don't eat or even if I eat a lot). It improved my breathing (I suppose that is because my diaphragm is usually stiff and spasmed or from constipation).
The only problem is that it made my hands a bit cold and I know that when I smoke now it shuts my metabolism off, no matter how much sugar or other things I may eat. I think RP said that it was estrogenic (I don't know if that is because it lowers testo or by other ways).

I used to smoke daily before being sick (4-5 years ago) and it helped me with schizoid/ADHD/anhedonia/apathy/asperger's syndrome issues that I had since childhood (and worse since puberty) tremendously but now I can't smoke it at all because I become cold as **** and it puts me to a seizure state (tetany crisis) and give me buzzing ears (or even loud motor sounds in the ear and I think that it comes from blood circulation problems, maybe because cannabis raises serotonin, histamines or NO that are vasoconstrictives?). This is the only thing that I tried that worked so radically on my brain... Like a magic bullet for me so I'm really frustrated to not having access to it after witnessing how much it can improve my state. I'm sure that my quality of life could be improved so much and even my school performance because I'm almost feeling as if I have some kind of dementia at 25...

I guess this is a frontal cortex dopamine thing or maybe endorphin/anandamine thing as theanine seems to raise dopamin a lot but I don't really any improvement from it but chocolate works a bit and cannabis a lot...

Would you have some ideas people of things to try to improve my poor state? I'm wondering if some LSD or the likes could help without shutting my metabolism off...

haidut

Forum Supporter
Parsifal said:
post 112313
haidut said:
Parsifal said:

Thanks haidut for your generosity and for sharing these informations, I guess that you're a busy man so I really appreciate to have you taking the time to help me with a lot of my questions and messages!

I've been trying a lot of things these last months to reduce the serotonin and inflammation (1g of theanine/day, caffeine, aspirin, no starch, a lot of fruits and sugar, calcium, gelatin, enough proteins, NDT, getting enough vitamins and minerals, estroban, energin, red light, etc). Now my attention is a bit better but not that much, I'm still suffering from mild to severe ADD, apathy (lack of will and motivation, dullness, numbness) and anhedonia.
I don't really think that I have depression, my problem seems more complex than that as I don't really feel sad emotions or anything. It's just that I don't feel orgasm while having sexual activities or any emotions (just stress when it happens) at all.

If I think that it is a dopamine problem, that's because the last time when I ate a lot of dark chocolate I was surprised to feel some positive emotions 1 hour after and mild orgasm after sex. But it is high in resveratrol so I believe that it also increased serotonin as I had a bit of anxiety, digestive issues, cold hands and buzzing ears after few days eating it so had to stopped.
Moreover, today I had a strong experience, I went to the flat of a friend that smoked a joint while I was talking to him (I didn't smoke). I stayed there during 2 hours and then left but I inhaled a bit of the smoke as well while staying there and felt some of the effects raising while talking to him. I've started to become really more concentrated and motivated to talk and share with the guy, my thought process became really deeper and my attention too. I felt really more playful as well.
When I left his flat I was really surprised to notice in the street how different my perception and cognitive process were from usual. The colors were really more vivid as were my perceptions (like when I was a child, now in normal times it is numb and hazy), my perception bandwidth and attention increased a lot as well. I felt centered and with a deep consciousness (usually I feel shallow) and motivated to do things, really the opposite from learned helplessness and hibernation.
The music I had in my earphones seemed really deeper, more vivid and I was feeling emotions from listening to it. My body was really more flexible than usual and I had not a single spasm today. I believe that it might even help me for my resistant constipation... Gave me some appetite (I don't feel hungry at all, even if I don't eat or even if I eat a lot). It improved my breathing (I suppose that is because my diaphragm is usually stiff and spasmed or from constipation).
The only problem is that it made my hands a bit cold and I know that when I smoke now it shuts my metabolism off, no matter how much sugar or other things I may eat. I think RP said that it was estrogenic (I don't know if that is because it lowers testo or by other ways).

I used to smoke daily before being sick (4-5 years ago) and it helped me with schizoid/ADHD/anhedonia/apathy/asperger's syndrome issues that I had since childhood (and worse since puberty) tremendously but now I can't smoke it at all because I become cold as f*** and it puts me to a seizure state (tetany crisis) and give me buzzing ears (or even loud motor sounds in the ear and I think that it comes from blood circulation problems, maybe because cannabis raises serotonin, histamines or NO that are vasoconstrictives?). This is the only thing that I tried that worked so radically on my brain... Like a magic bullet for me so I'm really frustrated to not having access to it after witnessing how much it can improve my state. I'm sure that my quality of life could be improved so much and even my school performance because I'm almost feeling as if I have some kind of dementia at 25...

I guess this is a frontal cortex dopamine thing or maybe endorphin/anandamine thing as theanine seems to raise dopamin a lot but I don't really any improvement from it but chocolate works a bit and cannabis a lot...

Would you have some ideas people of things to try to improve my poor state? I'm wondering if some LSD or the likes could help without shutting my metabolism off...

You can ask your doctor about ondansetron and maybe bromocriptine. Low dose ondansetron (1mg-2mg daily) is really good for reversing anhedonia and combined with bromocriptine can stabilize the dopaminergic system as well.

answersfound

haidut said:
post 112314
Parsifal said:
post 112313
haidut said:
Parsifal said:

I used to smoke daily before being sick (4-5 years ago) and it helped me with schizoid/ADHD/anhedonia/apathy/asperger's syndrome issues that I had since childhood (and worse since puberty) tremendously but now I can't smoke it at all because I become cold as f*** and it puts me to a seizure state (tetany crisis) and give me buzzing ears (or even loud motor sounds in the ear and I think that it comes from blood circulation problems, maybe because cannabis raises serotonin, histamines or NO that are vasoconstrictives?). This is the only thing that I tried that worked so radically on my brain... Like a magic bullet for me so I'm really frustrated to not having access to it after witnessing how much it can improve my state. I'm sure that my quality of life could be improved so much and even my school performance because I'm almost feeling as if I have some kind of dementia at 25...

You can ask your doctor about ondansetron and maybe bromocriptine. Low dose ondansetron (1mg-2mg daily) is really good for reversing anhedonia and combined with bromocriptine can stabilize the dopaminergic system as well.

Do you know of any OTC meds that can help with adehonia?

James_001

haidut said:
Parsifal said:
post 112313
haidut said:
Parsifal said:

Ondansetron is okay, but I think low dose lsd/mushrooms works better imo.

Parsifal

James_001 said:
Well I've never tried lsd or mushrooms as I've never found a good source for them and I was a bit afraid to loose my mind if using them as they seem to be very strong drugs.
Also, since I'm sick my heart and veins are weak and I've read experiences with these drugs of people experiencing while the comeup of the initial phase heart racing comparable to amphetamines comeup so I've wondered if they would still be a good medicine. I also wonder why some people experience flashback.

Is it possible to microdose shrooms safely? Lately I've been really curious to try these drugs and shrooms seem easier to get that Ondansetron here. I live in France and this is almost impossible to ask doctors to prescribe a drug, they don't care about you and don't want to hear you.

James_001

Parsifal said:
James_001 said:
Well I've never tried lsd or mushrooms as I've never found a good source for them and I was a bit afraid to loose my mind if using them as they seem to be very strong drugs.
Also, since I'm sick my heart and veins are weak and I've read experiences with these drugs of people experiencing while the comeup of the initial phase heart racing comparable to amphetamines comeup so I've wondered if they would still be a good medicine. I also wonder why some people experience flashback.

Is it possible to microdose shrooms safely? Lately I've been really curious to try these drugs and shrooms seem easier to get that Ondansetron here. I live in France and this is almost impossible to ask doctors to prescribe a drug, they don't care about you and don't want to hear you.

I use .5 g - 1 g of shrooms to microdose. My opinion is that both lsd/mushrooms are very safe. I also don't think that people have flashbacks or that they make anyone loose their minds. Where is the evidence of 'flashbacks'?

You will barely feel like you took anything on .5 grams of mushrooms

Doctors don't care about people in the US either

Parsifal

James_001 said:
I use .5 g - 1 g of shrooms to microdose. My opinion is that both lsd/mushrooms are very safe. I also don't think that people have flashbacks or that they make anyone loose their minds. Where is the evidence of 'flashbacks'?

I know a guy that had LSD flashbacks, especially while he smokes weed (after several weeks without taking LSD). Don't know if he interprets right what he experiences. I've read that there is a substance close to amphetamines in shrooms and that LSD is so volatile that it has to be bound to amphetamines to stay liquid. Dunno if that's true. I've also read that psylocibin is a serotonin agonist. Don't know if all of that is true, maybe I should read RP newletter on LSD (can't find it).

What about anxiety while coming up, digestive distress from shrooms or bad trips that some people experience and report on the web? If you take a substance that works well for you it doesn't mean that it is harmless, for example I have friends smoking weed without any issues and thinking that it is not toxic and I thought the same during years while coming to the point of not being able to smoke it without having huge adverse effects that I think could be life threatening.
Not trying to lay some fear but I am warry of cognitive dissonance and want to improve my health, not play with a Russian roulette.

http://www.neurosoup.com/psilocybin/

James_001

Parsifal said:
post 112353
James_001 said:

I know a guy that had LSD flashbacks, especially while he smokes weed (after several weeks without taking LSD). Don't know if he interprets right what he experiences. I've read that there is a substance close to amphetamines in shrooms and that LSD is so volatile that it has to be bound to amphetamines to stay liquid. Dunno if that's true. I've also read that psylocibin is a serotonin agonist. Don't know if all of that is true, maybe I should read RP newletter on LSD (can't find it).

What about anxiety while coming up, digestive distress from shrooms or bad trips that some people experience and report on the web? If you take a substance that works well for you it doesn't mean that it is harmless, for example I have friends smoking weed without any issues and thinking that it is not toxic and I thought the same during years while coming to the point of not being able to smoke it without having huge adverse effects that I think could be life threatening.
Not trying to lay some fear but I am warry of cognitive dissonance and want to improve my health, not play with a Russian roulette.

Don't know man, its your choice.

barefooter

Parsifal said:
post 112346 I also wonder why some people experience flashback.

I haven't researched this extensively, but I do have some personal experience with having flashbacks from a really bad trip on LSD. Some people claim these flashbacks are actually the LSD not being fully metabolized and stored in fat to later be released. This seems pretty unlikely to me, and I think it's more likely to be about psychological stress, maybe even a form of PTSD. The day after my bad trip, it was like my brain just stopped working how I expected it to,and this lasted for weeks. I would be perfectly fine, and then start feeling really down and negative, and feel spaced out, out of nowhere. I can see how the spacey feeling could be interpreted as feeling like being back on LSD, but I think it's really all an anxiety response from the psychological trauma.

I've had some really good drug experiences with marijuana and MDMA, and some really bad ones with LSD and shrooms, and also marijuana many times, so I can probably give a somewhat balanced perspective. I think if you're not healthy and mentally stable, experimenting with psychedelics, and even pot is like playing Russian Roulette, as you said you'd like to avoid. On these drugs you can be in a very vulnerable place, and that leaves you exposed to potential serious psychological trauma. I don't think the drugs literally cause psychosis in people, it's the experiences on them, and it's often the straw that breaks the camels back for a person that is already not well. Just as I wouldn't advise a clumsy person to go climb a mountain, I likewise wouldn't advise a mentally unstable person to take psychedelics. You need to be in a good state, and understand how to control set and setting, what to do if things go bad, and how to let go to what may be extremely strange feelings. Especially the letting go part can be hard for a lot of very rationally minded people, and fighting the trip is one sure way to have it go south.

Now, in some individuals, a good trip can be very beneficial, improve creativity, give them new insights, etc. I've had some of this on pot, and even a few good moments on LSD before things went south. Getting shaken up like this can be very useful for getting past blocks. But, it's definitely not something that's for everyone, and if you're already doubting if it's the right thing for you, it may be best to just stay away, as fear often leads to bad trips.

Now, if we're talking about sub hallucinogenic micro dosing, that's a different game and one I don't know much about. I expect the dangers I've written about above wouldn't come into play. However, you have to ask why are you considering this over other options like cypro, and lisuride for lowering serotonin, and then basic things like getting diet fine tuned, exercise, sleep, light therapy, socialization, etc.

Frankdee20

When I was a teenager, smoking weed triggered an LSD flashback and it freaked me out. Basically a high anxiety state, but marijuana is technically a mild hallucinogen.

LUH 3417

When I was a teenager, smoking weed triggered an LSD flashback and it freaked me out. Basically a high anxiety state, but marijuana is technically a mild hallucinogen.
My guess is that it’s unconscious material that came up during the LSD trip but perhaps the environment wasn’t conducive to you processing or integrating the material, sensation, or awareness of some part of yourself into your psyche, so it kept pestering whenever you smoked weed.

Frankdee20

My guess is that it’s unconscious material that came up during the LSD trip but perhaps the environment wasn’t conducive to you processing or integrating the material, sensation, or awareness of some part of yourself into your psyche, so it kept pestering whenever you smoked weed.

That’s a good guess, actually, this flashback occurred after a bad trip on LSD. I wonder if it wouldn’t have happened had I never known what a bad trip felt like.

LUH 3417

That’s a good guess, actually, this flashback occurred after a bad trip on LSD. I wonder if it wouldn’t have happened had I never known what a bad trip felt like.
Yea maybe it’s even what’s been coming up for you again the past few months but in a different form. Hope you’re doing well.