Keratosis Pilaris

jacknap

anyone have a cure for keratosis pilaris?

I've had it for 11+ years just on my triceps. the right tricep has more

things i've tried that haven't fixed it.

1. skin brushing
2. exfoliation
3. vitamin a (through a multi)
4. beef liver

Would like to rid it cuz don't like the way it looks and also think it might hint at something be less than optimal in my system.

My mom had it too but it went away after she hit 50. So amaybe it's related to hormones?

OP
jacknap

jacknap

nope doesn't tried almost everything I could think except retin-a. not a big fan of pharmaceuticals if i can avoid it lol

Sucrates

Have you tried oral or topical aspirin, urea, cyproheptadine or salicylic acid?

Nicole W.

anyone have a cure for keratosis pilaris?

I've had it for 11+ years just on my triceps. the right tricep has more

things i've tried that haven't fixed it.

1. skin brushing
2. exfoliation
3. vitamin a (through a multi)
4. beef liver

Would like to rid it cuz don't like the way it looks and also think it might hint at something be less than optimal in my system.

My mom had it too but it went away after she hit 50. So amaybe it's related to hormones?
Hello,
I developed KP around the age of 13 on my arms and used retin A to manage it until I was well past 30. The retin A was not a perfect solution and I didn't want to use it forever. One day I read that coconut oil could resolve KP so, disbelievingly, I gave it a try. Now I'm 49 and haven't had any KP since that time, which is about 17 years. I use virgin coconut oil everyday all over as a moisturizer and especially on my arms. If I switch to some other product even for a few days it starts to come back. So it's not a permanent solution.
I used to think that the CO was exfoliating but now I think it actually dissolves the keratin plugs so that there are no bumps or redness.

Hope this is helpful to you.

OP
jacknap

jacknap

Hello,
I developed KP around the age of 13 on my arms and used retin A to manage it until I was well past 30. The retin A was not a perfect solution and I didn't want to use it forever. One day I read that coconut oil could resolve KP so, disbelievingly, I gave it a try. Now I'm 49 and haven't had any KP since that time, which is about 17 years. I use virgin coconut oil everyday all over as a moisturizer and especially on my arms. If I switch to some other product even for a few days it starts to come back. So it's not a permanent solution.
I used to think that the CO was exfoliating but now I think it actually dissolves the keratin plugs so that there are no bumps or redness.

Hope this is helpful to you.

I tried this for a few days but i didn't notice improvement. how long before u notice improvement would u say?

Nicole W.

I tried this for a few days but i didn't notice improvement. how long before u notice improvement would u say?
It was a long time ago but if I had to guess, it was at least a week, maybe two. When I stop using it, either because I'm traveling or because I want to use lotion, I know I have about 3-4 days before it starts to come back. Then I need about 3 days to get it under control again. Like I said, the CO is not a permanent solution. I don't understand the mechanics of it but short of Retin A, it's the only thing that has worked for me. I would give it a month before giving up. It's a pretty great solution if it works for you.

Rachael

Hi!

I had it for years but it went away when I treated myself for being hypothyroid. Before I began taking actual replacement thyroid hormone, Lugol's iodine also helped (taken along with selenium). Now I see my daughter has the same problem but she is also hypothyroid but currently untreated, so may be worth checking your thyroid :)

Nicole W.

Hi!

I had it for years but it went away when I treated myself for being hypothyroid. Before I began taking actual replacement thyroid hormone, Lugol's iodine also helped (taken along with selenium). Now I see my daughter has the same problem but she is also hypothyroid but currently untreated, so may be worth checking your thyroid :)

I've always been sub clinically hypothyroid and intuitively I knew the skin issues were part of the bigger picture. All the signs and symptoms were there and finally after years of not feeling awesome and persistent sinus infections I contacted a Naturopathic doctor whom I've been working with ever since. A Peat inspired, but not restrictive) diet has worked well for me. Lots of sunlight and all the other recommendations have been incrementally positive. Interestingly, NDT was a disaster, driving my cortisol levels too low. But that's ok, it was worth a try. The topical application of coconut oil addresses the symptom, not the root cause of KP, that's why it always returns with discontinued use, at least for me. But it's something that works to allieviate the unpleasantness of the situation and let's me wear sleeveless tops in the summer!

RealNeat

For anyone still interested Ive been resolving mine with Topical Vit D (Carlson) 20,000 IU a day rubbed on belly region until not oily. I'm guessing it has something to do with Vitamin A regulation. Could also be an answer to all this anti-Vit A talk.

tankasnowgod

Try monocyline. Worked for me

How long did you take if for?

As for your question about the sun.... I found the parts of my body that got the most sun exposure had the most reduction of KP. For me, it's gotten less and less over time, but I still have some bumpy areas, and some that have the red bumps.

RealNeat

How long did you take if for?

As for your question about the sun.... I found the parts of my body that got the most sun exposure had the most reduction of KP. For me, it's gotten less and less over time, but I still have some bumpy areas, and some that have the red bumps.

Ive noticed an 80% decrease in 1 week. I don't rub it on where mine is (back of arms) just on the belly. I got the idea because I recognized that the times in my life when it disappeared were also the times I go the most sun.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals