Keratosis Pilaris (skin condition) anyone?

Primal2Peat

Has anyone had success treating Keratosis Pilaris (skin condition) using Ray Peat's science?

I'm wondering if PUFA in the fat tissues actually cause this skin condition. Maybe the skin is trying to detox the PUFAs? I don't know.

It's gotten better since I don't eat as much PUFA, but I was eating way too many eggs the past couple of years, so it will take another few years to really judge my skin using Ray Peat's science.

One weird thing is that my skin gets better when I'm on calorie restriction to burn fat, but now I'm trying not to do that of course.

Ingenol

I have KP. I'm just starting Peat. A Paleo diet for the last year didn't show me much discernible improvement, but I know others have reported success with such a diet.

I don't think it has anything to do with PUFA directly: the commonly accepted physiological cause is dead skin cells being trapped at the base of hair follicles. The most current thinking I've been able to find is that it has something to do with abnormally high skin cell turnover rate. Many have suggested it has something to do with poor insulin response.

Spacehoppa

I have KP as well, quite badly, all over my arms and legs. Usually in winter it is worse than ever. Since I've been eating in a more Peatian way and using progest e liberally, which has lots of vitamin e in it, I've noticed my KP especially on my forearms is a lot better. My skin is smooth now, rather than rough. It really is a lot better. Nothing else I've ever done has ever had an impact on my KP before, so I take it as a good sign that my body likes it. I think the vitamin E might be the biggest contributor to the improvement, but that's just my guess.

Stunning4keke

i also have some KP on the sides nearing my back. i have been using a lot of progest+E directly on it and it has softened it considerably. but didn't take it away all the way. i also used some Tamanu Oil on it and not sure if that is considered a PUFA? i didn't see it on the PUFA oil list but i will ask Ray because i also want to know if sea buckthorne oil and castor oil is a PUFA and no one seems to answer any of my posts :(
i am brand new on here--is this how it works on this forum> not use to it.
anyway, the Tamanu Oil also just softened it and now it's a lot lighter and it did peal a little. the progest+E gave me a bad skin reaction so i had to stop it for awhile.

Beebop

Hey Stunning, wikipedia is a good way to find out the composition of oils, for example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamanu_oil
38% linoleic acid = PUFA

I had a load of oils I checked this way (and threw out afterwards!)

I think it's possibly true about coconut oil being the only really useful oil (as someone else mentioned in another thread). Cocoa butter is mostly all SAFA, so that's probably safe too but I don't know how beneficial it is compared to coconut oil.

Stunning4keke

thanks Beebop, i checked castor oil on Wiki and it has
Ricinoleic acid 85%

Linolenic acid 0.5%

is that considered a PUFA?

also, what about something like the Thorne lotion which only has an ingredient of sunflower seed oil but is listed as being Gluten & Estrogenic Activity-Free? i think Ark has it on her website arkofwellness so i am guessing it is okay? i need to find a good body lotion.

Beebop

I don't know anything about ricinoleic acid, but the article also says this:

The castor seed contains ricin, a toxic protein. Heating during the oil extraction process denatures and inactivates the protein. However, harvesting castor beans may be not without risk.[7] Allergenic compounds found on the plant surface can cause permanent nerve damage, making the harvest of castor beans a human health risk. India, Brazil, and China are the major crop producers, and the workers suffer harmful side effects from working with these plants.[8] These health issues, in addition to concerns about the toxic byproduct (ricin) from castor oil production, have encouraged the quest for alternative sources for hydroxy fatty acids.[9][10] Alternatively, some researchers are trying to genetically modify the castor plant to prevent the synthesis of ricin.[11]

Which would put me off using it.

Before I found Peat I was looking for a great combination of oils to use as cosmetics. I tried many. I didn't know what was ideal as there was so much apparent confusion in the mainstream about the nature of oils. Reading Peat has clarified that Vitamin E, red light, coconut oil will all heal the skin (plus some of the other nutrients and hormones). What more could you want? ;)

You could start offering your clients red light treatments and coconut oil facials :lol:
If in doubt stick with coconut oil and vitamin E! :)

4peatssake

Beebop said:
I don't know anything about ricinoleic acid, but the article also says this:

The castor seed contains ricin, a toxic protein. Heating during the oil extraction process denatures and inactivates the protein. However, harvesting castor beans may be not without risk.[7] Allergenic compounds found on the plant surface can cause permanent nerve damage, making the harvest of castor beans a human health risk. India, Brazil, and China are the major crop producers, and the workers suffer harmful side effects from working with these plants.[8] These health issues, in addition to concerns about the toxic byproduct (ricin) from castor oil production, have encouraged the quest for alternative sources for hydroxy fatty acids.[9][10] Alternatively, some researchers are trying to genetically modify the castor plant to prevent the synthesis of ricin.[11]

Which would put me off using it.

Before I found Peat I was looking for a great combination of oils to use as cosmetics. I tried many. I didn't know what was ideal as there was so much apparent confusion in the mainstream about the nature of oils. Reading Peat has clarified that Vitamin E, red light, coconut oil will all heal the skin (plus some of the other nutrients and hormones). What more could you want? ;)

You could start offering your clients red light treatments and coconut oil facials :lol:
If in doubt stick with coconut oil and vitamin E! :)
:goodpost

Bang on Beebop! The only oils I'll put on my skin are coconut oil and Vitamin E.

Stunning4keke

great! thank you so much Beebop. it's so difficult as an Esthetician when so many companies that i have been with for so long need you to keep a certain amount of retail products in your business. and now i really am not sure what to do as i need to keep my business going and i also wish to find good things for myself. it is a major source of anxiety for me right now.

i did find some really great facial moisturizer's but not body lotions. so i will try the coconut oil with some vitamin E for body. do you have a certain brand that you use that is good for the skin on the body of both coconut oil and vitamin E?

thanks again! Stunning

Stunning4keke

i also wonder why Edgar Cayce was so wrong about Castor oil if it's that toxic? he was all about Castor oil and it does help with constipation when you put it on that wool pack. i don't understand these things.

chris

Stunning4keke said:
i also wonder why Edgar Cayce was so wrong about Castor oil if it's that toxic?

Anybody can be wrong.

pboy

things like garlic and oregano oil are also toxic...they're medicine in small amounts acutely, but toxic if ingested regularly in the long term! If you gotta get 'stuff' out quickly, you could goto castor oil...but if you used it regularly or too much at a time if would end up irritating your GI tract and cause more damage than good. Ultimately you should try to figure out what is causing the constipation in the first place and eliminate it so you wouldn't have to ever use things like castor oil (not saying you need to!)

key

I developed KP on the back of my arms when I was about 14. Went away when I was about 17 started to eat more fruits and saturated fat(banana chips/chocolate) and I cut restaurant food(vegetable oil) out of my diet. So I think it has to do with inflammation.

The earliest I remember having it is 16 I think. I think it got worse some 2 years ago. Never changed one bit regardless of diet, topicals, or supplementation.

Swandattur

I can see that ingesting castor oil or other high PUFA oil is bad, of course, but is it actually bad to put on the skin? The researcher on the coolinginflammation site favors castor oil packs and Vick's Vapor rub as anti inflammatories. I would be concerned about hazards to people handling the castor beans.

jyb

It seems like it can be absorbed through the skin, just like saturated fats. I have in mind this anecdote of RP who makes sure to wash his hands after being in contact with some pufa used for painting.

repeat

I've read it's from vitamin A deficiency.
It's a minor problem for me, so I havnt put a lot effort in it, but I have seen it come and go, and I think it could be related to the balance between the fatsoluble vitamins, especially A and D, and also probably the quality of the fats in the body.

Stunning4keke

as an Esthetician we are taught that the things we put on the skin absorbed even more than if one was drinking tons of water. i asked RP about some skin care lotions and their ingredients but didn't hear back when i usually do. i think i may have put down too many products. should i start a whole new topic about this as i am really interested about these certain skin care lotions? not sure what to do or how to word the question to Ray Peat? any idea's on how i can ask him about some oils in the skin care lotions?

thanks!

GermanLove

I see this is a year old, but thought I would share a few things anyway.

1) Derma e Vitamin E 12000 IU works like a charm! Along with never using a razor more than twice and staying well hydrated.

2) As far as Castor Oil goes and Mr. Edgar Cayce....he was not wrong. Please learn to go beyond wikipedia for your research. I both graduated from their program there as well as worked in their visitor center/library, so I feel pretty confident in clarifying that Castor Oil is harmful to ingest, but has healing properties when absorbed. Yes, this is possible. Different substances and different organs work different ways. In fact, most substances around you are like this. I'm not sure where this idea of it suddenly being written off as wholly toxic and unbeneficial is coming from....come on, guys, you're smarter than that!