Kenneth Blanchard On Optimal Hypothyroidism Treatment

Wilfrid

Ken Blanchard's thyroid T3 method | Voyage to Health[/URL]:

KEN BLANCHARD’S MICRO-T3 METHOD
May 31, 2018

“Take some more tea,” the March Hare said to Alice, very earnestly.

“I’ve had nothing yet,” Alice replied in an offended tone, “so I can’t take more.”

“You mean you can’t take less,” said the Hatter: “it’s very easy to take more than nothing.”

– Lewis Carrol “Alice in Wonderland”

I have never met nor corresponded with Ken Blanchard who passed away at the age of 77 in April 2017. From the little I know about him, he was a traditionally educated endocrinologist, with an impressive MIT/Princeton/Cornell educational pedigree and a thriving practice of dedicated patients from which he has only retired shortly before his death. What distinguishes this man from the rest of his colleagues, however, was that he was a very open-minded person who was not afraid to think for himself and question authority. He quickly figured out on his own that normal TSH values did not exclude hypothyroidism. He also realized that there was a connection between hypothyroidism and fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, PMS, depression, IBS, adult-onset ADHD and other poorly understood conditions of our time. Most importantly, he figured out how to properly dose T3 – which went completely against the grain of what everybody around him was doing.

Dr. Blanchard’s favorite saying was that “when it comes to medicine, the only people who are absolutely certain about anything are medical students, malpractice lawyers, and well compensated expert witnesses”. In 1990 he became interested in adding T3 for his patients who were already on T4 – something that virtually nobody doing back in those days. He quickly found out that most of them felt better initially but then quickly got worse. He described it as “up-down” effect of T3 treatment.

Having done much experimentation, Ken Blanchard arrived at the conclusion that patients who had sufficient amount of T4 in their system, did much better if only tiny amounts of T3 were added to their regimen and if these tiny amounts were compounded in a slow release form. The ratio of T4: T3 he used is 98.5:1.5 which is about 0.375 mcg T3 for every 25 mcg T4. He preferred to use slow release NDT as he found it provided better mental function. The ratio then becomes 2.5 mg SR NDT for every 25 mcg T4 (note that while T3 and T4 are measured in micrograms, NDT is measured in milligrams).

Dr. Blanchard used Levoxyl and Tyrosint as his preferred brands for T4 because they were the purest and free of additives which can trigger allergic reactions. He would usually start patients at low doses of 12.5 mcg (although I believe that patients with dysautonomia and long-term CFS may need to start with even lower doses). He also realized that the timing of thyroid doses was highly individual and required experimentation, and that thyroid levels need to be adjusted based on seasonal and menstrual cycle changes. He also sometimes prescribed T3 as a transdermal gel for those who had GI absorption issues.

By using the above approach, Blanchard was able to restore back to health many patients who have previously failed both on conventional protocol or who have been made much worse by the alternative protocols. Despite that, Blanchard’s method has not gained popularity because it went completely against the currently accepted knowledge.

As out of the box thinker, Blanchard has questioned something that no other physician prescribing T3 has bothered to think about: how did we arrive at the lowest dose of Cytomel pill being 5 mcg? When he began to look into the issue further, it led him to conclude that the reason 5 mcg was the lowest prescribed dose was because Cytomel was originally invented as an alternative to T4 replacement – a trend that never really took off because T3 replacement did not work well compared to T4. These doses were never designed to supplement T4 treatment or to mimic the physiologic production of the thyroid gland. Cytomel, however, found it’s application in the psychiatric profession, where this high dose might have been useful in depression partially by exerting a stimulant-like effect on monoaminergic neurotransmitters.

When Blanchard tried to talk to other endocrinologists about his ideas, they wrote them off as “crazy talk” because in their mind those doses were “homeopathic” and could only work through “placebo effect” – never mind the fact that these are the doses that mimic physiologic thyroid production much better than any other method. It appears that Ken Blanchard never really tried to reach out about his practice to alternative communities or niche groups such as CFS circles, only to his colleagues – which turned out to be an insurmountable task.

I know for a fact that these doses of slow release T3 do work and that it is not a placebo effect. And I believe that it’s a shame that while everyone in those alternative communities has heard about Wilson, virtually anyone to my knowledge has heard about Blanchard, even though I think way more people would benefit and certainly less would be harmed by Blanchard’s method than by Wilson’s method.

(By the way, T3 is not the only hormone we are overdosing patients on. Melatonin is often sold in 5-10 mg doses while physiological doses have been shown to be closer to 0.3 mg (R) – but nobody cares about that either).

Let’s take a more close look at how the thyroid gland works so that you can see for yourself why minimalist approach makes sense.
The thyroid gland secretes on average about 6 mcg of T3 per day. So if someone has their thyroid removed they would need somewhere in the vicinity of 6 mcg of supplemental T3 or perhaps slightly more to account for absorption losses). Those of us who have intact thyroid gland would need way less than that. Let’s also remember that thyroid gland releases T3 into the bloodstream in very controlled, tiny doses throughout the day. It never dumps 6 mcg at once. If we assume that 6 mcg is what is being released over 24 hours that would amount to somewhere around 0.25 mcg of T3 per hour. That is the kind of T3 influx that our body was designed to handle. The rest of T3 comes from the intracellular conversion.

That is the physiologic mechanism of how thyroid hormone is produced in the human body. Very small constant levels of active thyroid hormone are secreted into bloodstream. Much larger amounts of inactive hormone are produced – on average about 100 mcg of T4 per day. The half-life of T3 is only about 1 day. The half-life of T4 is 7 days. This allows for a much larger pool of T4 than T3 to accumulate in the body. This storage pool is what the cells draw upon whenever they need to and the cellular enzymes known as deiodinases convert T4 to T3.

However, if all T4 could be converted T3 on the cellular level, then thyroid gland probably would not be secreting those 6 mcg of T3 per day. We have to assume that because nature does it that way, it is important. This very small and steady blood supply carries with it a chemical message to organs. It signals adrenal glands to produce cortisol. It has an effect on ion channels on plasma membranes. It signals the cells to get ready to uptake and convert incoming T4. And it helps to regulate hypothalamic and pituitary control of the secretion.

There is receptor preference for T4 within the nerves system, making the T4 preferred substrate for neural cells. In addition, T4 might serve as a co-transmitter for norepinephrine. Therefore, T4 is not just some inactive hormone. The right balance of T4 to T3 is crucial.

Most of the body’s T3 is generated from T4 at the tissue level and the cells of that tissue get to decide on what they are comfortable with and control the pace of the conversion in order to match their metabolic capabilities and needs.

If one does not have a good peripheral conversion of T4 to T3 at the tissue level then it’s a separate issue which needs to be addressed. It is best addressed by figuring out what is affecting the conversion and adding supplements that help to maximize it rather than dumping mega-doses of T3 into the bloodstream (I will write more about deiodination regulation later). There are likely people out there with a unique genetic make-up, for example, inborn abnormalities of thyroid receptors, that might feel better on T3 alone. However, it is much safer to start with the minimalist approach because once you get on high doses of T3, your biochemistry will change and it will be very hard to revert to using the minimalist approach. On the other hand as the Mad Hatter put it: “it’s very easy to take more than nothing”.

I believed Ken Blanchard’s book because I have personally observed on many occasions that a tiny 1 mcg dose of slow release T3 is able to raise my fT3 to nearly maximum level. When you take even the lowest available dose of Armour, you get a rush influx of T3 and your serum T3 will shoot up transiently to very high levels (those that are found in patients with severe hyperthyroidism, such as Grave’s disease) and will result in TSH suppression. (If you don’t believe me, check your T3 level one hour after taking your dose and see for yourself). Therefore, once you start taking high doses of T3 or NDT you will make yourself more hypothyroid over the long term which will prompt you to take more and more.

In other words, taking typical doses of external T3 is bound to lead to thyroid resistance and further loss of hypothalamic control over metabolism. What happens when you take higher and higher doses? You keep putting your body into hyperthyroid states, triggering cellular adaptations to hyperthyroidism, stressing your adrenal glands, pushing T1AM levels higher than they need to be and adding to already dysfunctional HPA and HPT axis. If you are like me and have a genetic condition that creates vascular sensitivity to high levels of T3 or if you have problems with cholinergic/ noradrenergic receptors which often happens in prolonged untreated CNS hypothyroidism, or if you have bad HPA function or adrenals than you might find you can’t tolerate high T3 levels very well at all.

Compounded slow release capsules of T3 are ok but they are not ideal. What we really need is manufactured slow release Cytomel at doses of 0.1/0.3/0.5/1.0 mcg. Adding these doses would be able to restore the T3 production in hypothyroid patients back to its normal level and at its normal rate of release, without overwhelming cellular defense and suppressing hypothalamic function.

If one can’t get slow release NDT, one can still benefit from taking micro-doses of NDT, such as 1/4 of 1/4 grain or even tiny specks throughout the day which can be dissolved sublingually to derive the right effect from supplemental T4.

To sum it up, when it comes to T3 replacement Blanchard’s protocol is the proverbial tortoise: that we’ve come to associate with the phrase “slow and steady wins the race”.

Last edited:

Wilfrid

BREAKING THROUGH THE FOG: T3 AND 5HT RECEPTORS
November 26, 2018
If you read my previous posts “Thyroid: My friend, my enemy” and “Armour: A Seduction Story” you know by now that I have a conflicted personal relationship with the thyroid hormone.

And if you read my post “Thyroid Camps Overview” or simply spent enough time browsing the internet on the subject of the thyroid hormone, you probably know by now that when it comes to the thyroid hormone there’s truly no “one size fits all” solution.

We are all different.
When I went on NDT in early 2014, I had postpartum thyroiditis (which I now believe is due to EBV viral activation). I also have elevated thyroid antibodies. Before my thyroiditis was diagnosed with ADHD and depression and prescribed SSRI and Vyvanse. I was one of those people who immediately felt “alive again” after a few doses of Armour – but the effects didn’t last and eventually, my insistence on making NDT work for me again by resorting to “alternative methods” have nearly cost me my life.

If you are taking NDT and T3 and it’s working fine for you then please ignore this post. But if you can relate to my inconsistent and tumultuous relationship with this hormone, if you have been misled by popular online blogs on how NDT works than what I’m about to say might really shed new light on your situation. You will realize that the reason you can’t make it work for you is most likely not because you’re deficient in X, Y, or Z as this amateur blogs would want you to believe.

Likewise, if you’re feeling good on NDT or T3/T4 combo, it’s not due to “placebo effect” as some skeptical endocrinologists would insist.

The real reason as to why people respond differently to T3 is because they have excessive serotonin receptor (5HT) sensitivity (R).

Most people do not have this issue and therefore they do not react strongly to fluctuations of thyroid hormone. The can adapt equally well to hypothyroidism and excess of thyroid hormone. But there is also a small portion of people who can’t adapt. Keep in mind that there is nothing natural about thyroid hormone supplementation, especially with T3: thyroid gland secretes mostly just T4 at a low steady dose, and most of T3 is produced within the cells, therefore bypassing effect on the receptors. Therefore, naturally produced T3 thyroid hormone has much less neurotransmitter effect than externally supplied T3.

Studies show that hypothyroidism affects the binding capacity of multiple 5HT receptors (R) (R).

To put my personal story in perspective, I now suspect that I’ve experienced immediate improvement from T3 because it was good for my adrenergic receptors but I think I experienced very unfavorable effects on some of my serotonin receptors. I also believe that excess serotonin receptors can trigger activation of viral infections and autoimmunity. Not only the immune system is under the direct control of the nervous system but some CNS viruses gain entry into the cell through 5HT receptors (R). Excess serotonin has also been linked to mast cell activation (R).

Serotonin receptor supersensitivity is a huge issue because serotonin receptors in the hypothalamus regulate all the other hormones, in particular, cortisol. They also regulate norepinephrine and dopamine levels.

This is why hypothyroidism and “adrenal fatigue” so often go hand in hand.

There are many different subtypes of serotonin receptors and each one affects the body differently. For me personally, the three prime suspects are 5HT1A, 5HT2A and 5HT2C.

Hypothyroidism downregulates these receptors but too much T3 can make them overly sensitive to stimulation by serotonin.

Moreover, the relationship between serotonin and thyroid disease has shown to be reciprocal: people with abnormal serotonin regulation are predisposed to the thyroid disease (R). Although the exact link is not clear, I suspect it is related to immune system dysfunction.

5HT1A Receptors
Excess 5HT1A stimulation can make you feel hyperthyroid without really being metabolically hyperthyroid.

Excess 5HT1A stimulation will result in a picture very similar to hypoadrenergic POTS:

• Decreased prolactin (relative to baseline)
  • Increased body temperature
  • Decreased blood pressure (relative to baseline)
  • Cutaneous (skin) vasoconstriction/Raynaud
  • Decreased sympathetic activation/ excess parasympathetic activity
  • Decreased GABA production
  • Increased ACTH and cortisol
  • Decreased sex hormones
  • Decreased norepinephrine activity
  • Constricted pupils
Deficiency of 5HT1A receptor will result in a clinical picture very similar to high flow POTS or histamine sensitivity:

• Low body temperature
  • Increased heart rate
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Cutaneous vasodilation/swelling/warmth in hands and feet
  • Increased pain sensitivity
  • Weak erections (but possibly increased libido)
  • Decreased slow wave sleep
  • Excess sympathetic activity
  • Increased estrogen
  • Oxytocin deficiency
  • ACTH/cortisol deficiency
  • Increased prolactin (relative to baseline)
  • Decreased endogenous opioid production
  • Sympathetic overdrive
  • Dilated pupils
Both types can result in the feeling of anxiety although these are two different types of anxiety.

Please note that because these receptors affect energy, body temperature, and heart rate, it is very easy to mistake them for symptoms of hypothyroidism.

The tricky thing about 5HT1A receptors is that they function differently depending on whether they are located pre-synaptically (inhibit serotonin) or post-synaptically (release serotonin). Therefore depending on the dose of T3, you can get a very different effect. The effect on pre-synaptic receptors is probably the basis for why Ken Blanchard’s micro- T3 method works the best for some people and the effect on post-synaptic receptors is why Wilson’s method works better for others. (The same will be true for other meds that work on 5HT1A receptors. Unfortunately, almost all the drugs that act on 5HT1A will initially act on autoreceptors and lower serotonin before they act on postsynaptic receptors to improve serotonergic transmission. Lithium appears to be the only exception to that rule although it comes with its own bad set of side effects during initiation stage).

But that’s not all. Thyroid hormone also affects 5HT2A and 5HT2C levels which complicates the picture even further.

5HT2A Receptors
Excess 5HT2A receptor stimulation will result in:

• Increased depression
  • Increased intracellular calcium release
  • Increased neuronal excitation
  • Increased smooth muscle contraction
  • Increased vascular reactivity
  • Increased platelet aggregation
  • Increased pain sensitivity
  • Decreased heart rate and low blood pressure (via vagus nerve activation)
  • Low blood pressure
  • Increase in dopamine levels
  • Increased skin vasoconstriction
  • Decreased intraocular pressure
  • Decreased ACTH and corticosterone
  • Decreased renin
5HT2A deficiency will produce the opposite picture:

• Hypomania or psychosis
  • Decreased intracellular calcium
  • Decreased neuronal excitability
  • Decreased smooth muscle contraction
  • Low dopamine
  • Increased heart rate and blood pressure
  • Increased cutaneous vasodilation
  • Decreased oxytocin (social anxiety, loss of ability for emotional connection)
  • Increased renin
  • Increased ACTH and corticosterone
  • Increased intraocular pressure
All of these serotonergic receptor fluctuations are much more pronounced in women because these receptors are also affected by the sex hormones estrogen and progesterone. Women who deal with severe PMS often have a malfunction in one of these receptors. The monthly fluctuations in sex hormones also make it difficult for receptors to find a steady state and adapt to a constant level of thyroid hormone. Most women I know have developed either CFS or POTS or psych issues during after a major hormonal perturbation of pregnancy and/or menopause.

5HT2A receptors are also unique and especially challenging to understand because they downregulate in response to both agonists and antagonists. And to make things worse, they continue to work even when they are not stimulated by serotonin.

The way I fixed my permanent 5HT2A upregulation after T3 (Or my “T3 crazies” as I call it) was lithium orotate, despite the fact that I did not initially use it for this indication (see my older post “Recovering with Lithium Orotate“). In theory, an inverse 5HT2A agonist

5HT2C receptors
The main function of 5HT2C receptors is toblock the release of catecholamines dopamine and norepinephrine. They are the most likely explanation behind the atypical cases of what’s been described as “apathetic hyperthyroidism”. While in normal people, excess thyroid hormone will usually result in increased catecholamine levels, in people with supersensitive 5TH2C it can actually result in shut down of NE and DA, causing anhedonia, fatigue, loss of motivation and trouble with concentration.

People change.
Some people spent a lot of time trying to figure out their receptors through genetic analysis. I suspect that it’s often misleading, especially in the second half of life because genetics do not account for environmental factors, such as viral infections, toxins. They do not account for the imprint of drugs that we’ve taken, stress levels we endured, etc. Throughout our life, we acquire viral DNA which can lead to altered intracellular calcium release and neural receptor expression. The only proven way to figure out your 5HT receptor profile is by looking at the clinical presentation and response to various drugs, hormones, and supplements. Supersensitive serotonin receptors shift easily both ways, making one fluctuate between depression and hypomania and between POTS and CFS.

My 5HT, as well as other receptor settings today, are probably completely different than they were twenty years ago. This is how people change. Everybody changes chemically throughout their lifetime but the more sudden the change, the more jarring the experience.

To conclude this post on a more philosophical note, sudden changes in serotonergic receptor expression are probably responsible for many of the midlife personality changes, divorces, sudden spiritual awakening stories (5HT1A receptor is also thought to be responsible for transcendent experiences), or change political party affiliations (which has also been scientifically linked to brain circuitry).

OP
C

Collden

I read that book, viewed it as 5 Stars on Amazon then asked Haidut aka Georgi Dinkov to read it and hopefully make a formula close to it. For many people, T3 alone or high T3 is going to aggravate Adrenaline Dominance.
Cool, yeah I would buy that. Ironically, T3 is actually not that hard to get without a prescription, but from T4 you are basically locked out unless your doctor approves.

I just got my blood test back

FT3 4.22 (2.0 - 4.4)
FT4 1.38 (0.90 - 2.0)
TSH 3.08 (0.27 - 4.2)

So T3 and T4 seem ok, but the TSH is definitely what Peat and Blanchard would consider hypothyroid. Fortunately my doctor was open to a trial with thyroid meds, so I'm going to start on 25mcg T4 per day for 3-4 weeks and then if I notice benefits that then start to wane, add in a small amount of T3 in the morning, as per Blanchards protocol.

I'm guessing these values at least indicate I have no issue with liver T4->T3 conversion, if anything its the production of T4 that is deficient.

Wilfrid

@Collden
Are you or your doctor familiar with thyroid hormones resistance condition?
Maybe you will need higher intake of T4/T3 hormones than Dr Blanchard used to recommend. Anyway, keep us updated.

OP
C

Collden

@Collden
Are you or your doctor familiar with thyroid hormones resistance condition?
Maybe you will need higher intake of T4/T3 hormones than Dr Blanchard used to recommend. Anyway, keep us updated.
Heard of it but not sure it fits, its a rare genetic condition no?

I think my hypothyroidism originates with a course of Tetracycline I took for 6 months as a teenager. This treatment has been known to damage the thyroid so I am hoping the issue is a simple impaired capacity to produce T4/T3 that should respond to replacement, but we'll see.

thomas00

Yeah I'm not sure about that. I've looked but haven't been able to find any good papers on it. Ray sez:

The body makes up to about 4 mcg of T3 in an hour, so each dose should be small

OP
C

Collden

Yeah I'm not sure about that. I've looked but haven't been able to find any good papers on it. Ray sez:

The body makes up to about 4 mcg of T3 in an hour, so each dose should be small
I think he's referring to the total T3 produced in all tissues, the vast majority of that will come from peripheral T4->T3 conversion.

Even for the whole body, 4 mcg per hour seems high since what sources I found state that the total T3 produced in the body per day is only about 30 mcg, maybe there are diurnal variations and 4 mcg/hour is the peak production?

Defending plasma T3 is a biological priority

Last edited:

Wilfrid

that's not correct
She was specific about the thyroid itself.
I thought that we can assumed that the thyroidal secretion of T3 and rT3 is related to the proportion in which they are present in thyroglobulin. So the daily thyroidal secretion of T3 (and rT3) can then be assessed from the product of the T3/T4 (and rT3/T4) ratio in thyroglobulin and the daily secretion of T4.
In steady-state conditions, the latter is reflected in the daily T4 disposal rate which can be measured with considerable accuracy (in contrast to the disposal rate for T3).
The T4 secretion rate in normal young and middle-aged adults is about 90 mcg/day.
And it is true that immunoassay studies have yielded variable results for the intrathyroid T3/T4 ratio, the values ranging between 0.051 and 0.096. But when T3 secretion rates are based on these data, the calculated thyroidal T3 secretion rate can be estimated between 4,6 to 8,4 mcg/day.
All of the above estimations are based, of course, on the presumption that T4 and T3 are secreted from the thyroid in the same proportion as exists in thyroglobulin. And this is true that this assumption has not been verified in humans, and in rats the results are conflicting. So it would be not surprising that the T3/T4 ratio of the total thyroid hormone secreted exceeds that found in thyroglobulin. So the point goes to you.
We need to start from a speculation here, and the daily thyroidal secretion mentioned by the author (around 6 mcg/d) while not technically wrong is not necessarily and organically right either, again I’m agree with you.
But if we consider ourself in a land of estimation/speculation, one can assume the following calculation, based from the (only) study made 0n the subject by Pilo and al, as something that we can speculate from:
Estimation of daily production rate of T3 for a body surface area of 1.79 m2 is about 29 μg (16 μg/day/m2): 20% (∼6 μg, or 3.3 μg/day/m2) is secreted by the thyroid gland, and 80% (∼23 μg, or 12.7 μg/day/m2) is generated in extrathyroidal tissues by 5′-deiodination of T4. But, of course, those results will vary from individuals to individuals according to their body surface area....
But you got the point, the estimation made by the author of 6 mcg is correct....considering that she made her conclusion with the only technical tool currently available.

Last edited:

Wilfrid

Heard of it but not sure it fits, its a rare genetic condition no?

I think my hypothyroidism originates with a course of Tetracycline I took for 6 months as a teenager. This treatment has been known to damage the thyroid so I am hoping the issue is a simple impaired capacity to produce T4/T3 that should respond to replacement, but we'll see.
Yes.
Sorry I wouldn’t say that you have this condition per se.
Sometimes excess TSH (like in your situation) can influences the T4/T3 ratio yielding a higher T3/T4 ratio (ie: thyroglobulin becomes relatively rich in T3 compared with T4, independent of the iodine content). Normalizing TSH (around 1 or even below) can quickly restore a higher T4 value. When I was looking at your lab results I thought that your TSH was abnormally high considering your FT4 and FT3 levels. Consequently, I was thinking at some kind of RTH. In this case, the 25 mcg dose of T4 may not be sufficient to effectively bringing down the TSH and as such you might need a higher dosage of T4 (as well as T3, I think). But like I said, keep us updated.

thomas00

Even for the whole body, 4 mcg per hour seems high since what sources I found state that the total T3 produced in the body per day is only about 30 mcg, maybe there are diurnal variations and 4 mcg/hour is the peak production?

yes I think so, Ray seems to be of the view that about 30mcg t3 is produced by the gland

HLP

I just read his book Functional Approach to Hypothyroidism and he seems to integrate well the mainstream perspective with alternative views like STTM including why many do not do well long-term on NDT or high amounts of T3 either.

The crux of his argument is that pure T4 therapy is optimal only for a minority, but going too high with T3 supplementation in relation to T4 is also bad long term and will cause people to crash as it pushes TSH too low and depletes T4. He thinks the ratio in NDT is way too high for most and for most the optimal ratio to supplement will be closer to 67 : 1 than 5 : 1 T4/T3.

This also means that ideal amounts of T3 will be far lower than what is found in most pills, this is the reason many studies find no benefit of added T3 since the dose is at least 10-fold higher than the ideal. He thinks most people should not get more than 0.5 - 1.5 mcg T3 per day, preferably in time-release capsules, combined with 25-50 mcg of T4.

Also that the main reason why people feel bad with too much T4 is that it suppresses TSH too much which reduces tissue T4->T3 conversion, its not related to rT3.

Also thinks its better to take T4 at dinnertime to improve sleep and reduce tendency to weight gain.

Thoughts on his book? Has anyone tried his approach to treat hypo? He's also big on time-release T3 capsules but these seem not to be that readily available.

View attachment 17789
Timed released T3 would be awesome. Have fun finding em. T3 has a shorter 1/2 life so this would help tremendously. I also split my ERFA dose to twice daily.

thomas00

"I have only rarely talked to anyone who had good results with the so-called time-release T3, and I have seen analyses of some samples in which there was little or no T3 present. It is hard to compound T3 properly, and the conditions of each person's digestive system can determine whether the T3 is released all at once, or not at all. I don't think there is a valid scientific basis for calling anything "time-release T3."

An Interview With Dr. Raymond Peat: A Renowned Nutritional Counselor Offers His Thoughts About Thyroid Disease / Thyroid Disease Information Source - Articles/FAQs

thomas00

Cool, so how are you managing to dose such a small amount of T3? Seems difficult when the lowest standard pill is 25mcg. NDT looks easier since there are capsules that go down to 3mcg. Are you using timed-release capsule or regular T3?

if you grind cynomel tablets into powder, one of those red plastic microscoops is ~3mcg

OP
C

Collden

I have read the book and found it very insightful.
And up to now, it still remains my reference book on thyroid dosage supplementation.
I sometimes jointly use a software (called SPINA Thyr.) when I take only the T4 hormone, just to figure out how effective is my T4 to T3 conversion and TSH response. And I use body temperature and pulse as well.
The amount of T4 and T3 recommended in this book works like a charm for me.
Was wondering when/how do you take your T4? There are studies that show taking it in the evening gives better absorption than taking it 1h before breakfast, although in all these studies they still have a several hours gap between dinner and T4 intake. Blanchard on the other hand suggests taking it with food is beneficial for weight regulation, and recommends taking it with the evening meal for added sleep benefits, although he also sometimes recommends to take it before breakfast if the patient has no problem with sleep, so I'm confused as to what he actually considered ideal.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals